The competition doesn't sleep

For one thing, a BT remote can be paired with one particular device, whereas an IR remote signal will be picked up by any device within range.
But this is problem only in case of the same model of device and within the same room. In practice, I have few wiims, but not in the same room. So this never would be problem.

And sometimes this is for the best - you can direct some pair of equipment (in my case - fans) simultaneously.

Last edited:
So it could be a disadvantage?
I mean I read all the advantages of a IR remote but if there are only advantages why would manufacturers still choose BT remote then?
There must be disadvantages one would say..
Or deliver both..I mean a remote which has BT an IR.
It would be more expensive?
It would be not. Such remotes are very cheap. Eversolo remote has both interfaces, but without advantages - ir is used only for power on (to not have bt or wifi module active all time). All other functions are bt. The same is often used in case of tv. Ir is used for power on to not have network modules active. Almost all others can be ir or bt.

BT in case of tv has two advantages - one is gyroscope. Can be used as mouse coursor. Ir in this case can not be used with gyroscope. Second one are voice commands. If microphone is in remote, bt must be used for that.

All of this from hardware point of view is very cheap.

This discussion has somehow drifted off from the competition to remotes. Maybe we could dedicate a separate thread just for remote controls?

It was a natural progression when talking about what competitor products had that WiiM streamers didn’t. There’s already a WiiM remote forum if you want to start up a separate discussion there :)

It was a natural progression when talking about what competitor products had that WiiM streamers didn’t. There’s already a WiiM remote forum if you want to start up a separate discussion there :)
No, I don't really want to discuss remotes at all, but I was looking forward to a bit of a competition bashing discussion when I saw this thread 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
This discussion has somehow drifted off from the competition to remotes. Maybe we could dedicate a separate thread just for remote controls?
This is regarding competition advantages in comparison with wiim. Competition is in this aspect better.

From my side, only one remark more - in case of universal, ir remote, i can use only one for amplifier, active speakers, few dacs, and few vumeters - in one audio setup. But wiim needs separate one. And really very weak one... This is con.

It would be in fact terrible if all equipment would be using bt.

Last edited:
This is regarding competition advantages in comparison with wiim. Competition is in this aspect better.
Yes, I can see where you are coming from regarding the ease of use of an iR Vs. (original WiiM) BT remote.
But, since I'm using the WiiM Amp and my system is really simple, I don't really care about the remotes - the app does everything I need.

Yes, I can see where you are coming from regarding the ease of use of an iR Vs. (original WiiM) BT remote.
But, since I'm using the WiiM Amp and my system is really simple, I don't really care about the remotes - the app does everything I need.
Agreed.
I use the remote also..no issues with it.
I think it depends what s customer want to do with a remote( Extra functionalities).
App, remote Wiim does the job for me.

There is no option to regulate EQ (bass level) in time of day context or others automations. Those are areas where wiim app is lacking.

Yeah, it can be if the manufacturer of a bt remote has worked with Logitech to get it supported but it appears the manufacturer of the WiiM remote (a third party) haven’t done so.
I also use the Harmony and use it to control all my equipment, I find I have no use for the Wiim remote aside use the Wiim app.
It's possible to teach the Harmony remote button pushes, is this not possible?

Last edited:
Back