The competition doesn't sleep

Quite sure not. (And to be honest, very personally and egoistic I hope not 😉)
For such use case the market offers more than enough. In every price range.
Apart from a coaxial out and better looking, I can't see what it offers over a Wiim Mini?

May be hard to understand for a non Rooner and friend of as many features as possible.
I think you should agree that rooners are a minority so a better basic featured and cheaper device, could be better for the others. Forgive me I have some personal reasons against Bluos... 😎

The less a device is software dependent the much I like it.
But often firmware updates are more important - I've had 2 FiiO devices & each has only ever received one firmware update. I get the impression that fiio prefers to release newer models rather than developing existing devices.

What surprises me is that none of these systems cater for the audio listening market - which must be quite large with podcasts & audiobooks (okay nothing like the Swiftie or Beyonce market) 😋. Only Sonos has this area covered.

Yes, of course. And I write always about devices I know and have at least basic experience. I loved my little WiiMs for quite a long time. But since a good while...Forgive me I have some personal reasons against WiiM 😎
One looks, one pays, one gets. From that very moment my empathy tends against Zero when my device gets worse and does not longer that what I paid for or looses features silently over night. As long as WiiM does not find a solution that avoids forced updates I am out.
Just which features have you lost?

What surprises me is that none of these systems cater for the audio listening market - which must be quite large with podcasts & audiobooks (okay nothing like the Swiftie or Beyonce market) 😋. Only Sonos has this area covered.
Not sure what you mean about the podcasts?

I listen to all my music and podcasts through Amazon Music, directly supported by the Wiim software.

Not sure what you mean about the podcasts?

I listen to all my music and podcasts through Amazon Music, directly supported by the Wiim software.
I use Pocket Casts - only supported by Sonos. You can get podcasts via Spotify, but that's another subscription charge. At least, Tidal offers music videos but only via the native app, or via their fire tv app (which is rather good).

Makes very little difference for me as my hearing is so shot that all this fancy codec stuff makes little if any difference. Saves a lot in investing in high end audiophile stuff which I could never hear any differences 😜
Don’t worry most people including myself can’t hear a difference either. Human hearing isint sensitive enough. Full disclosure I have a pretty decent system and stream Qobuz. Can I tell the difference between it and Apple Music via airplay? Nope. Placebo effect is rampant in the hifi audio world. But I bought the ultra because of its sub output and bass management. So I switched to Qobuz. Happy with everything though. Rock on.

Just checked FROM my Android phone to the device to my stereo from the Qobuz app. Sounds reasonable. A complete Priest album without any stutter. Also the other direction FROM the device (for what a reason for me still is not understandable) works well and flawlessly with Sony wireless headphones. No stuttering in both cases.
Thanks for that. The transmit bt is useful for use with bt headphones & speakers. That's how I use the Wiim mini - a sort of dedicated headphone device.
Is it true that the nano doesn't have upnp/DLNA? If so, that would limit its use with LMS somewhat.

Thanks for that. The transmit bt is useful for use with bt headphones & speakers. That's how I use the Wiim mini - a sort of dedicated headphone device.
Is it true that the nano doesn't have upnp/DLNA? If so, that would limit its use with LMS somewhat.
Googling bluesound and UPnP/Dlna comes up with statements from them displaying the same head in the sand attitude they displayed when discussing bit perfect casting from the Amazon Music app. They decry dlna/upnp as having poor meta data management (wait and see what @simbun says about that ;) ) preferring to use Samba instead. It really sounds like they haven’t looked very deep into it and have a not-invented-here view of it…

They decry dlna/upnp as having poor meta data management (wait and see what @simbun says about that ;) ) preferring to use Samba instead. It really sounds like they haven’t looked very deep into it and have a not-invented-here view of it…
I looked at BluOS years ago as I have a NAD amp that accepts the swappable hardware modules. I think I remember their support saying that UPnP wasn't suitable for synchronised distribution (too much overhead), but I haven't seen any comments about the metadata.

UPnP is constrained by the spec (I think there are only AlbumArtist, Artist and Composer roles) so if you were serious you wouldn't choose it as a starting point, or a solution, yet a good UPnP server nearly always beats the inhouse one e.g. I'm almost certain that BluOS doesn't even support multivalue artist or genre tags!

MinimServer fed my OCD, and whilst I enjoy the process and the results it really limits what I find acceptable, which can be frustrating when at times all I want is something fancy :)

I would only use the upnp with the LMS upnpbridge plugin to turn the bluesound into a LMS player. This works 100% with the Wiim mini.

If the impression came up I want to blame any WiiM by giving my opinion about a device I coincidentally run: Please pardon me, I am only a naive guy who sometimes thinks he has from time to time a bit of info to share. Of course every single WiiM device is superior against the overpriced robbers outside the bubble.
And of course a device like the Nano could only has a right to exist as an LMS endpoint with a bunch of plugins. It runs flawlessly with Roon. But what does that mean compared to LMS.
Well, without upnp and/or chromecast, there's always the airplay bridge plugin - not a favourite of mine, so that's the bluesound on the back burner. At the opposite end of the scale, I'm quite impressed by my Naim muso. Nice sound, decent app & works flawlessly with LMS. And it lights up with a hand gesture!

Screenshot_20240909-175903.jpg

I'm really pissed because nearly every dialogue here ends in an either-or and very rarely in an as well as. So much more than black and white.
My curiosity was (I forgot to ask) if have you experienced some freezing or other connection lost with Nano or I have to argue that is mainly a Nad related problem...

So all I can write is, that the little Nano does what the spec
So, it's Nad related. I heard about same misbehavior from other nadders.
I'm starting to think about new Arcam, since Dirac it's a must have, obviously with mini still connected...
Too bad because I liked the boomer look of the NAD...

Back