The Ultra Has Landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Mine arrived yesterday, delivered to my work.

I wish I’d had more time to have a good play with it, but I didn’t get home until late, then had to make everyone’s tea. A quick set up/installation, but we have a new puppy (everybody say “Ahhhh!), so I couldn’t play my music too late. By the time I’d set up, not much time for actual listening.

First impressions.

Okay, this comes across as a serious piece of kit. I’ve owned some high end stuff in my time, and this just feels ‘the business’, as they say. I know some have issues with the volume control, so I gave it a twiddle. Okay, not as ‘firm’ as the rest of the unit feels, but not completely light weight. I’ll not be using the physical control anyway, so no loss to me anyway.

Connections on the back all feel fine.

Initial set up, pretty straightforward, as you’d expect. Quick, apart from a short pause for updates.

More to follow.

Mine arrived yesterday, delivered to my work.

I wish I’d had more time to have a good play with it, but I didn’t get home until late, then had to make everyone’s tea. A quick set up/installation, but we have a new puppy (everybody say “Ahhhh!), so I couldn’t play my music too late. By the time I’d set up, not much time for actual listening.

First impressions.

Okay, this comes across as a serious piece of kit. I’ve owned some high end stuff in my time, and this just feels ‘the business’, as they say. I know some have issues with the volume control, so I gave it a twiddle. Okay, not as ‘firm’ as the rest of the unit feels, but not completely light weight. I’ll not be using the physical control anyway, so no loss to me anyway.

Connections on the back all feel fine.

Initial set up, pretty straightforward, as you’d expect. Quick, apart from a short pause for updates.

More to follow.
No need for more info about the Ultra ta.

Now about the Puppy...... what sort, dog or bitch. What are your plans for him / her? Pic?

The screen is great. I wasn’t particularly bothered about it, but it does add a bit of a classy feel.

One thing I’ve not seen mentioned yet, it’s maybe just me and the angle at which I’m sat, but I’m finding the touch sensitive screen a bit unresponsive in some instances.

For clarity, it’s on my desk slightly to my left. I think I have this right (I’ll have to try again tonight), but if I try to touch it with the index finger of my right hand (arm coming across my body from right to left) it’s not 100% responsive.

But if I touch it with my left hand thumb, it’s fine.

It might just be that it’ll take a bit of getting used to. It might be that I swap it to the right of the desk. Actually, that sounds far more logical.

I’ll keep you posted on that.

Good looking pair. Much more interesting that a piece of shiny plastic with a knob.

It may be a bit of shiny plastic, but I object to being called that, and I wasn’t even going to put myself in the photo…

…oh sorry, I see what you mean.

:ROFLMAO:

Right, it’s The World’s Most Minor Gripe™ time.

The remote. There’s only a play symbol in the middle. But it’s not a play button, is it. It’s a play/pause button.

IMG_2160.jpeg

Just saying.

🙄

Sorry, as you were. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The 12v trigger works perfectly with my Topping PA5ii. Despite years in hi-fi-land, this is the first time I’ve actually used a trigger, so I’m quite impressed with how smoothly it works.

Sorry, I’m posting these as they come to me.

Okay, another minor gripe, but not quite so minor. Indeed, by WiiM’s standards I consider it a bit of a faux pas.

I’m very impressed with the full plethora of cables included in the box, but there’s one omission which I wasn’t expecting.

For the first time in many years I’ve unboxed a brand new home electronic device with a remote control where no batteries were included.

As it was, I managed to find a few, but this could have been very frustrating had I not been able to.

Sorry, I’m posting these as they come to me.

Okay, another minor gripe, but not quite so minor. Indeed, by WiiM’s standards I consider it a bit of a faux pas.

I’m very impressed with the full plethora of cables included in the box, but there’s one omission which I wasn’t expecting.

For the first time in many years I’ve unboxed a brand new home electronic device with a remote control where no batteries were included.

As it was, I managed to find a few, but this could have been very frustrating had I not been able to.
Iirc, the Amazon product description says batteries not included

I have Six WiiM remote controls, and none of them were supplied with batteries.

I’m sure you’re right, and I’m not kicking off, it just seems odd. As I say, I literally can’t remember the last time they weren’t provided, whether it was with a TV, DVD player, amp, CD player, kids toy, or whatever. Certainly never happened whilst in my current house, and I’ve been here for just under 18 years.

Right, it’s The World’s Most Minor Gripe™ time.

The remote. There’s only a play symbol in the middle. But it’s not a play button, is it. It’s a play/pause button.

View attachment 9959

Just saying.

🙄

Sorry, as you were. :ROFLMAO:
Prepare for some really shocking news:

The power off button on the remote ...

switch-off-button.png

... can be abused by the malicious to turn on the Ultra! :eek:

Back to the Ultra.

Functionality is, so far, excellent apart from an issue I’m having with the Amazon app, though I expect this’ll be fixed tonight.

I’m particularly happy with the sub and bass management facilities. I’ve only just got started, and had a bit of a tinker, but it’s extremely easy.

Sounds great, too.

The 12v trigger works perfectly with my Topping PA5ii. Despite years in hi-fi-land, this is the first time I’ve actually used a trigger, so I’m quite impressed with how smoothly it works.
This is also my first use of the 12 volt trigger in a system. Works well, but there is a slight pause when the amp first turns on -- would be unnoticeable except for the fact that the subwoofer turns on a shade quicker (it does not use the Ultra's trigger) so one gets a second or two of muffled bass before the main speakers kick in. I just set my suspend timeout so I only have this happen when the system is turned on the first time and doesn't repeat the process if paused a bit for a phone call or other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back