TV display

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
I know I’m flogging a dead horse, but really, if you could just introduce this.

Go to the video below, 1:14 to 1:49.

The image on the TV at 1:40, just give us that please.

Not everyone will either want it use it, but there are surely enough of us who’ll will to make it worthwhile.

Thank you.

Not everyone will either want it use it, but there are surely enough of us who’ll will to make it worthwhile.

Thank you.
Totally agree 👍🏻

Thank you.
For older people (failing eyes), I would prefer removing the touchscreen altogether, and instead provide an additional HDMI out for both video and audio. For those of us running the Ultra through a Surround Processor we would now have the ability to 'view' Now Playing on the TV, as well as hearing the music. FWIW.

For older people (failing eyes), I would prefer removing the touchscreen altogether, and instead provide an additional HDMI out for both video and audio. For those of us running the Ultra through a Surround Processor we would now have the ability to 'view' Now Playing on the TV, as well as hearing the music. FWIW.
A software solution is preferable because there's no need for more cables and the TV and playing device can be placed wherever is convenient. In my pic. the TV and player are at opposite ends of a large long room.

IMG_20240814_111104.jpg

A software solution is preferable because there's no need for more cables and the TV and playing device can be placed wherever is convenient. In my pic. the TV and player are at opposite ends of a large long room.

View attachment 11301
Agreed. But since the Ultra already has an HDMI connection, why is it only an input? HDMI by design is two way (input and output). I'm perplexed as to why WiiM didn't design the Ultra HDMI port as two way. It would greatly simplify connectivity and provide a means to be able to send video to a TV (Surround Sound Processor), and then provide via firmware a way to display everything from the app on the TV.

Agreed. But since the Ultra already has an HDMI connection, why is it only an input? HDMI by design is two way (input and output). I'm perplexed as to why WiiM didn't design the Ultra HDMI port as two way. It would greatly simplify connectivity and provide a means to be able to send video to a TV (Surround Sound Processor), and then provide via firmware a way to display everything from the app on the TV.
I'm no expert, but I think it's probably because the WiiM device cannot handle the video signal. (it's AVR that can. And Ultra is not an AVR.)

HDMI sends and receives audio and video as a set. I don't think it is possible to send and receive only audio (or only video).

But as you know, Ultra's HDMI is ARC and can receive only audio from HDMI in to HDMI out.

I'm no expert, but I think it's probably because the WiiM device cannot handle the video signal. (it's AVR that can. And Ultra is not an AVR.)

HDMI sends and receives audio and video as a set. I don't think it is possible to send and receive only audio (or only video).

But as you know, Ultra's HDMI is ARC and can receive only audio from HDMI in to HDMI out.
You brought something up, about HDMI, I didn't think of. Thanks. But this HDMI thing really bothers me (my problem), as I don't know too many manufacturers that design their devices using HDMI for only audio. Even if it could only handle 1080P, that would be more than enough.

Tidal has music video content, but since they aren’t supporting Roku/plex anymore this feature is lost . My daughter’s HiFi rose can do this . I’m hoping in the near future WiiM will make a unit that can do that . I’d buy one .

Providing a software cast feature should be trivial compared to fixing hardware solutions. Lots of apps have a cast button to display the screen remotely to smart TV's (android tv, fire tv, etc) - WHA could do it also. Then any wiim device could cast the screen, not just the Ultra.

Providing a software cast feature should be trivial compared to fixing hardware solutions. Lots of apps have a cast button to display the screen remotely to smart TV's (android tv, fire tv, etc) - WHA could do it also. Then any wiim device could cast the screen, not just the Ultra.
If there is a problem with casting, is it the separation of audio and video?

For example, when casting from the Youtube app to a TV, the video and audio playing in the app are sent together. But with the WiiM app, you need to output only the screen that is Now playing to the TV while using the other output (Coax etc..) for audio, right?

Maybe I am just ignorant, but I have never seen an app that can do that...

Also, delays are inherent in casting. I still expect the development of a WiiM home app for Google TV. 🙂

That's using Roon (180 euro annual sub) - same can be done using LMS if your TV has a browser (free).
But, I agree a simple cast feature for the Now playing screen would be ideal.
I thought I read LMS had ended?

The Ultra included a touchscreen that isn't strictly needed. It includes phono that isn't wanted by the majority of consumers. I'm just disappointed that they stopped short of hdmi pass-thru on a device that's clearly intended to be useful in an AV system.
I DID replace my AVR with the Ultra and now I'm having to use the TV as switcher for *only* the DVD player.
So close to being end-game... 🤦🏻‍♂️

I managed to show album art on my tv by airplay [ picture only] from iPad to tv and still have the WiiM home app send sound information to my Hifi.

Attachments

• IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 9
Back