TV display

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
I know I’m flogging a dead horse, but really, if you could just introduce this.

Go to the video below, 1:14 to 1:49.

The image on the TV at 1:40, just give us that please.

Not everyone will either want it use it, but there are surely enough of us who’ll will to make it worthwhile.

Thank you.

How do you know?
As the vast majority of people don't own a turntable anymore.

And if they do, they will already own a phono stage or an amp with a phono stage.

I love my Ultra but the choice of a phono stage is a strange one on a streamer.

Works fine. You just need an Apple TV or a tv that is able to accept AirPlay. The WiiM home app will still control the ultra but the picture will be displayed on your tv.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 5
Works fine. You just need an Apple TV or a tv that is able to accept AirPlay. The WiiM home app will still control the ultra but the picture will be displayed on your tv.
Yes, but I guess chromecast & variants (android tv, fire tv) are more widespread than airplay tvs 🤔

As the vast majority of people don't own a turntable anymore.

And if they do, they will already own a phono stage or an amp with a phono stage.

I love my Ultra but the choice of a phono stage is a strange one on a streamer.
I repeat How do you know all this, you are making false assumptions, and you obviously don't know.

Yes I see what you’re saying but what about actual video, such as tidal music videos. Can the Apple TV in combination with the ultra do that ?
I’ve been considering buying a new Apple TV .
I’ve had 2 of them in past didn’t like the fact they did away with optical out.

I repeat How do you know all this, you are making false assumptions, and you obviously don't know.
You're just being pedantic.

A phono stage on equipment that is primarily designed to be a streamer is a very strange decision.

My 1st 2 statements are facts, not assumptions.

A phono stage on equipment that is primarily designed to be a streamer is a very strange decision.

Your statements are certainly not facts, maybe you think that they are, but you are certainly wrong in your assumption.

Your statements are certainly not facts, maybe you think that they are, but you are certainly wrong in your assumption.
So you are saying that the majority of people own a turntable? Can you show your working?

Also, those that do, don't already own a phono stage? So how are they using their turntable without a phono stage?

So you are saying that the majority of people own a turntable? Can you show your working?

Also, those that do, don't already own a phono stage? So how are they using their turntable without a phono stage?
I’m not saying that at all, it is you making these assumptions.

A vast majority is usually said to be higher than 95% of the total number of people.

A vast majority is usually said to be higher than 95% of the total number of people.
One only has to count the number of sub- $1000 AVRs and preamps that include a phono input to know that the demand isn't there.
Shop for a head amp recently? There's a couple junk units by companies like Pyle, then some in the several-hundred-dollar+ range. Nothing for the masses because there are no masses.

I would say that 95% of people no longer use a turntable.

The majority of people are happy with Bluetooth and lossy music files.

The most popular music streaming service is Spotify with ads.

What is it 160 kbs? Says it all really.

The Ultra is a general pre-amp, not only a steamer. In my setup I have a turntable connected to Phono, a CD to optical, a cassette player to line in and out, a TV to HDMI and a SSD to USB.

Only missing "now playing" on my TV.

Optical out feeds a pair of active speakers (build-in DAC).

So much more than a streamer.

The Ultra is a general pre-amp, not only a steamer. In my setup I have a turntable connected to Phono, a CD to optical, a cassette player to line in and out, a TV to HDMI and a SSD to USB.

Only missing "now playing" on my TV.

Optical out feeds a pair of active speakers (build-in DAC).

So much more than a streamer.
Yes it is more than a streamer.

However, it's primary function is that of a streamer.

You will be very much an exception, still using vinyl, CD's and cassettes.

From page 1 of the user manual "The WiiM Ultra, our flagship music streamer".

If you own any of the better quality surround sound processors from Emotiva, you would likely not have a phono input. It would require a separate phono preamp which could easily be half the cost of the Ultra. With the Ultra, and Vinyl Studio software, I can now not only play my old record LP's, but also rip them to lossless files and remove the clicks and pops. Most of us old timers still have turntables. I have 3 actually, including the Technics SL-1200 used by many DJ's years ago, as well as 2 other Technics models. The Phono stage in the Ultra was what hooked me to get the Ultra in the first place.

If you own any of the better quality surround sound processors from Emotiva, you would likely not have a phono input. It would require a separate phono preamp which could easily be half the cost of the Ultra. With the Ultra, and Vinyl Studio software, I can now not only play my old record LP's, but also rip them to lossless files and remove the clicks and pops. Most of us old timers still have turntables. I have 3 actually, including the Technics SL-1200 used by many DJ's years ago, as well as 2 other Technics models. The Phono stage in the Ultra was what hooked me to get the Ultra in the first place.
Read the post immediately above yours 😝

This is a little web server program (wiim-now-playing) that I've been using for the past month.

Point your browser at the server (Raspberry Pi, NUC, whatever). It continuously tells you what is playing with album cover art. It only has pause/play and previous/next track controls, so simple actions on whatever stream or folder you're playing. It can easily be run in parallel with LMS or whatever you use. Mostly I use this on a second monitor while working, but you could point a browser from a TV if that suits you.

1725711134666.png

This is a little web server program (wiim-now-playing) that I've been using for the past month.

Point your browser at the server (Raspberry Pi, NUC, whatever). It continuously tells you what is playing with album cover art. It only has pause/play and previous/next track controls, so simple actions on whatever stream or folder you're playing. It can easily be run in parallel with LMS or whatever you use. Mostly I use this on a second monitor while working, but you could point a browser from a TV if that suits you.

View attachment 11364

What does it show if you have a turntable plugged into your WiiM ? 🤣🤣🤣

Back