What external DAC to improve the Ultra?

I really don't get it.. people buying the Ultra, a perfectly capable device which does it all, only to add an external DAC. If you're going to add an external DAC, why not just stick to a WiiM Pro?

I mean, if the internal DAC isn't enough for you or if you really think you need XLR's, you're probably not going to use the built-in phono input either? Only an external headphone amp seems to make sense after reading Amir's review.
People that buy highend gear still believe that their super expensive new dac is ”less colored” than cheaper dacs that measures very well. Again and again Amirm has shown with measurement that expensive streamers often measures terrible, but the owner may like the sound of them anyway.

Why dont we all confess that we might like colorations to get a greater musical perceived illusion from the very flawed stereo system ? And we are ready to pay money for it ?

Last edited:
It would be the MiniDSP Flex Eight since the Ultra only has one DAC and my DSP controlled semi DIY speakers are four way.

I really don't get it.. people buying the Ultra, a perfectly capable device which does it all, only to add an external DAC. If you're going to add an external DAC, why not just stick to a WiiM Pro?

I mean, if the internal DAC isn't enough for you or if you really think you need XLR's, you're probably not going to use the built-in phono input either? Only an external headphone amp seems to make sense after reading Amir's review.
I had a Wiim Pro and a Topping D30 DAC.

It sounded good.

When the Ultra came out, I really liked the look of it. I think the (pretty pointless) screen looks really good.

So I bought one and compared it to the Wiim Pro and DAC. Couldn't tell any difference, so sold the Pro and DAC on Ebay to offset the cost.

I then picked up an Audiolab M DAC on Ebay for a good price, which, IMO, produces a "better" sound than the Ultra on it's own.

I also like the look of the M-DAC.

The two of them sits on top of a hardwood TV/AV stand they looks great.

As they are a key feature of my room, how they look is very important to me.

The Ultra has a USB output, the Pro doesn’t.

Back