WiiM Amp

But my post was in response to you saying the Amp was a ‘lifestyle product’.

In what way is it a lifestyle product, if not for it being an all-in-one?

Comparing the price of the items I listed completely misses the point of my post.

In general, I’ll wait for a proper, professional review with measurements before making any decision on its quality.

"Lifestyle" for me is not a positive judgement. It was meant in this case by me for a "smart", tres chic and hyped product which wants to pretend high quality. If your definition is different, fine.
My point was simple: You get what you pay for! And the less you pay the less you get.
And as I wrote, related to WiiM only "The Amp" is meant. If the quality is ok for the personal needs, fine. My only concern is the often frantic approach of placing it above absolutely entry level. It is what it is. But it is for sure no high fidelity.
Hopefully you will pardon me if you are one of the pseudo scientific Guru's fanboys, what I guess. I'm only in here for music reproduction and do not care about graphs and digits. Not "double blinded", only one pair of ears. This infamous "double blind test" will always remain the backdoor for the measurers because it is simply not realistic for private people. But it is the convenient and well approved last exit 😉
For sure my personal approach is a bit childish, but I am 72 and name myself an "educated and experienced listener". Read that before here but can not remember who wrote this. But my biggest concern is this specific behavior that all outside the Guru's galaxy is called stupid.
It seems sometimes that this forum gets more and more guerrilla marketed by the Amirish Soiled Repetiteurs. 😉

Last edited:
Totally agree. But there’s a difference between a product being more accurate and someone preferring a sound which is less accurate.

Tubes are a great example.
wanting to import what is essentially the subject revolving around dacs at asr is surprising..
here we are talking about a linkplay streamer followed by a small class d amp on a well-known chip tpa3255..
it doesn't seem to me that people participating in the long discussions on asr on small fosi aiyima etc
they have never claimed or thought that these are HQ approaches, especially since these approaches are known to have quite particular behavior in the face of certain loads etc...
we are not talking about more ambitious approaches in class d...

You’re not totally wrong, but I believe you’re partially in error.

We know certain things as fact. For example, we know what the limits of human hearing are, these have been demonstrated and measured, tested and retested, many times; they’re accepted as scientific fact. And we can measure DACs to see if their reproduction has errors or not within those limits. We can then deduce that two DACs measured as transparent will sound the same (all else being equal, of course).

Now the science is clear on this. If someone wants to challenge that science, that’s fine. But they must use the scientific method.

In this case, if someone says “DAC A is better than DAC B”, and yet both measure as transparent, than the onus is on that person to demonstrate that they can hear a difference - a double blind test, replicable by others, is the only way to demonstrate this.

If someone can’t be bothered, or is too unsure of their opinion, and refuses to carry out such a test, then why should anyone else listen?

If someone can’t hear a difference, then it’s not a matter of taste.

Is it?
If someone can’t hear it while others can hear it effortlessly then that person has hearing problem. Aging is one factor of hearing lose. Let say you like transparent sound and to me that’s too honest of a sound and I want tube because it’s soothing to my ear knowing it has worst measurement. This is what I say what sound good to you will not be a cup of tea to others ear.

As often happens, as the discussion goes we get more and more away from the initial question. IMHO WiiM Amp is a device that makes sense if it fits your needs: nice looking, easy connecting to multiple streaming services with a little amplifier suitable for ad-hoc choosen speakers. It doesn't make any sense to compare it with middle or top Hi-Fi devices. If we cut away all the rest and keep evaluating it only sound-wise we are just ignoring most of the sense of Wiim Amp.

As often happens, as the discussion goes we get more and more away from the initial question. IMHO WiiM Amp is a device that makes sense if it fits your needs: nice looking, easy connecting to multiple streaming services with a little amplifier suitable for ad-hoc choosen speakers. It doesn't make any sense to compare it with middle or top Hi-Fi devices. If we cut away all the rest and keep evaluating it only sound-wise we are just ignoring most of the sense of Wiim Amp.
Agreed 100 %, nothing more was in my mind!

Whilst taking your point, there’s one area I disagree, and someone else has posted this above. We’ve known for some time now that you don't always “get what you pay for.” You can spend £80 on a transparent DAC and £1,000+ on one that isn’t.

Some of the latest desktop amps (which use the same chip as the WiiM Amp) costing very low 3 figures perform measurably better than some others costing 4 figures.

If the WiiM Amp turns out to be as good as (let’s say) a WiiM Mini (currently UK £90), into an SMSL SU-1 (currently UK £80) with Fosi Audio V3 amplification (currently UK £80 - that’s a total for all three of £250), it’ll perform better than many mid-to-top hi-fi systems, as long as it’s matched with appropriate speakers.

People need to start realising that the world has moved on, and that you can get extraordinarily good hi-fi at very reasonable prices.

"People", even the elder have noticed that the world has changed.
But what NEVER will change is the scissor between poor, reasonable, good and extraordinary good. Of course it was never so easy to get good hifi for small money. But such small money as the amp's is too small to have good quality (and will cry for replacing very soon, I bet). "People" always made clear, that the "amp" can fit needs. But I beg your pardon, not mine. My only reason to post here is writing my opinion. And as soon as The Cult appears I write it even with more enthusiasm 😂, sorry.

"People", even the elder have noticed that the world has changed.
But what NEVER will change is the scissor between poor, reasonable, good and extraordinary good. Of course it was never so easy to get good hifi for small money. But such small money as the amp's is too small to have good quality (and will cry for replacing very soon, I bet). "People" always made clear, that the "amp" can fit needs. But I beg your pardon, not mine. My only reason to post here is writing my opinion. And as soon as The Cult appears I write it even with more enthusiasm 😂, sorry.
There has never in history been so much capacity in the world to produce things. Some completely useless junk, like the products in Temu. But also useful and long lasting products. I do not think that the price where Wiim Amp is being sold is impossible to make reasonable profits while producing quality. The availability of components and production capacity makes it possible today, while it might not have been 10 years ago.

If you look at well established quality brands like Yamaha, you can get good quality amps in similar price range. Especially the digital and software side of things (which is the additional feature set with Wiim Amp) are becoming less and less expensive. The thing with software is that it can be copied without any cost.

With the flood of new products pouring to markets, it is sometimes difficult to assess which is the case. I hope Wiim Amp lives to the expectations. I get the skepticism, but the argument that it's not possible at this price range is not water tight.

I do not think that the price where Wiim Amp is being sold is impossible to make reasonable profits while producing quality.

Well, what you, I, or anyone else thinks is utterly meaningless without evidence to support the theory.

I’ve posted examples of exceptional kit which is at cheap prices, so I’ve done my bit. I can provide links if required.

I look forward to seeing whatever evidence you offer to support your point.

By the way “It’s expensive, so it must be better!” doesn’t qualify as evidence.

Over to you.

We all have to accept a few different approaches to and philosophy with this hobby. Thats not bad, I've found mine.
So, finally Dinner time. Take care and enjoy music @ everyone. Sometimes a little dispute can be good for blood pressure 😂 (mine is too low).
Read you tomorrow, it was an honor.

Well, what you, I, or anyone else thinks is utterly meaningless without evidence to support the theory.

I’ve posted examples of exceptional kit which is at cheap prices, so I’ve done my bit. I can provide links if required.

I look forward to seeing whatever evidence you offer to support your point.

By the way “It’s expensive, so it must be better!” doesn’t qualify as evidence.

Over to you.
I think you might have misread my post. Perhaps the double negative was not a good choice of words :)

Many of those self declared "Audiophiles" never touched or listened to real High Fidelity!
Perhaps a few have come to terms with the fact that, among other things, their ears can no longer hear even half of the frequency range speakers are able to produce. The idea that a double blind test is a discussion-killer rather than an objective measurement of a subjective experience is remarkable, and calling it "not realistic" for ordinary people is a bit strange when you simultaneously talk about how "real" hi-fi must be really expensive. If you can afford the 10000% markup of high-street brands, surely you can also afford to get the cheap product and ask a friend to (pretend to) swap the cables around a couple of times.

My third point would be that the amplifying part of the Denon is at least as good as the WiiM Amp. The fourth, an of course again my very own bias, is that all the components in the WiiM Amp are very basic, avoiding the word "cheap" (and it's Class D 😉).
So, as long as your amp works without technical issues stay with it and your Pro Plus. Do not expect listenable improvements from a 350 € box.
The Denon DRA-F107 has not been available as a separate product but only bundled with the DCD-F107 CD player and SC-F107 speakers. The entire set sold for roughly 650 € (list price, street price dropped below 450 € a year or so after introduction). And it was made roughly 15 years ago.

How can you know for sure the Denon is at "least (bold!) as good as the WiiM Amp", just because the WiiM amp is so "cheap"? ;)

but it does not seem that these dali are so complicated and we can imagine that if this set denon (more complete than the wiim and a historic brand) is in place... it means that there are no problems with these speakers (no?)
It's not perfectly clear to me if you got it that the Dali speakers did not originally come with this amp. We can still conclude that there's no obvious problem for the DRA-F107 driving them, if @Giro413 has been using this combo for a while. I did not find any measurements of the Lektor 2 specifically but Dali has a reputation for making easy to drive speakers. Nominal impedance is 6 ohms and them being small and simple 2-way designs we shouldn expect them to be a non-critical load for most every amplifier.

Some pros for the Denon (e.g. more versatile remote, more legacy inputs, ...). Some pros for the WiiM Amp (e.g. more power, feature-rich streamer and decent DAC already included, 15 years younger design, somewhat basic but vastly superior subwoofer management, EQ, ...). Just for subwoofer management and EQ alone I would probably give the WiiM Amp a try.

I won't pretend I can predict the outcome but personally I'd be willing to take that risk.

Con for the WiiM Amp: DAC not exactly on par with the WiiM Pro Plus, so replacing the Denon with a different higher quality amp-only device might yield even better results (at the expense of more clutter compared to WiiM Amp). It all depends on what you want.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest I agree that technology has made huge steps forward but in the home audio domain I am more inclined to think that not so much has actually changed since late '80, exception made for DACs and class D amps, the latter being worth considering mainly for their power efficiency. Amplification and loudspeakers have seen very little substantial evolution, that's why devices from '70 or '80 are perfectly usable and ready to provide good satisfaction.
The WiiM Amp is a good device in its price range and surely can perform better if properly coupled with loudspeakers but, sorry for repeating, it makes much more sense to judge it globally.
@Steve Woodhouse , I see your point but to make a quite good system with the components you mention you need to choose the best and probably unique combination. Spending the same money, save the DAC and the streamer but replace the Fosi with an amplifier second hand from 25-30 years ago would probably give you a much better sounding system, able to drive many different speakers, not just the "perfect" matching ones. :)

Well, to be honest I agree that technology has made huge steps forward but in the home audio domain I am more inclined to think that not so much has actually changed since late '80, exception made for DACs and class D amps, the latter being worth considering mainly for their power efficiency. Amplification and loudspeakers have seen very little substantial evolution, that's why devices from '70 or '80 are perfectly usable and ready to provide good satisfaction.
The WiiM Amp is a good device in its price range and surely can perform better if properly coupled with loudspeakers but, sorry for repeating, it makes much more sense to judge it globally.
@Steve Woodhouse , I see your point but to make a quite good system with the components you mention you need to choose the best and probably unique combination. Spending the same money, save the DAC and the streamer but replace the Fosi with an amplifier second hand from 25-30 years ago would probably give you a much better sounding system, able to drive many different speakers, not just the "perfect" matching ones. :)

So, two areas here. First would be matching power ratings of speakers and amp. Yes, if you have difficult to drive speakers, and a weak amp, that’ll increase distortion. But you’d need massively tough speakers to trouble the WiiM Amp - someone at these forums has it driving a pair of Wharfedale Lintons!

Secondly, there’s the old nonsense about an amp being bright, so needing a different DAC to calm that, are a DAC having hump in the mid range, or whatever.

Here’s the frequency response of the (relatively poor) DAC in the WiiM Mini.

IMG_1523.png

Here’s the same for the Fosi Audio V3:

IMG_1524.png

At 4 ohms, ruler flat. At 8 ohms ruler flat to 5khz, then load dependent.

Okay, let’s spend a little more. Topping PA5, UK £250:

IMG_1525.png

Ruler flat.

Interesting times. I paid £350 or so for an Audiolab 8000A back in around 1988. The BoE’s inflation converter makes that £932 today. And this £250 amp is better. The 8000A’s claimed THD+N was 0.05%, the PA5’s is 0.0005%.

But people are still trying to convince us that we need to spend tens of thousands.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.png
    IMG_1524.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 2
By the way, I mentioned a system of WiiM Mini + SMSL SU-1 + Fosi Audio V3, or the WiiM Amp. How to finish that with speakers?

How about a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s. Currently UK £250. That makes the Mini set up £500, and the Amp set up £550. That will give you better than my 80s kit, which cost me £1,000 in 1988 money, £2,664 in today’s money.

We need more appreciation of the golden age we’re in, I think.

Well done WiiM!

My final words to this theme, most likely many will love the word "final" here.
An offer for my near mint and boxed 1989 or 1990 Audiolab/Camtech 8000A was a few months ago 700 €.
No intention to sell this legend, quite sure it will be part of another pure vintage setup one day.
What do you think will be a resale price in more than 30 years for a WiiM "Amp"? Zero, because it will be decades ago that it ended its life on a rubbish dump. That is exactly the reason because it is definitely NOT price worthy.
You get what you pay for, even today. Like it or not. Buy cheap and you will buy twice! Or at least more often, but that is not my way. Go for it. Said in the name of Ken Ishiwata 😂
And now we'll see what the Austria chef brings to the table. Take care @ ALL

By the way, I mentioned a system of WiiM Mini + SMSL SU-1 + Fosi Audio V3, or the WiiM Amp. How to finish that with speakers?

How about a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s. Currently UK £250. That makes the Mini set up £500, and the Amp set up £550. That will give you better than my 80s kit, which cost me £1,000 in 1988 money, £2,664 in today’s money.

We need more appreciation of the golden age we’re in, I think.

Well done WiiM!
First of all thank you for the measurements, they provide a meaningful view over some objective aspects of the evaluation. Aren't we forgetting dynamics? To be able to control speakers which can be bigger than tiny bookshelves you need current and a properly built output stage. The nice power supply in your Audiolab 8000A will be your friend for many years to go :)
My final words to this theme, most likely many will love the word "final" here.
An offer for my near mint and boxed 1989 or 1990 Audiolab/Camtech 8000A was a few months ago 700 €.
No intention to sell this legend, quite sure it will be part of another pure vintage setup one day.
What do you think will be a resale price in more than 30 years for a WiiM "Amp"? Zero, because it will be decades ago that it ended its life on a rubbish dump. That is exactly the reason because it is definitely NOT price worthy.
You get what you pay for, even today. Like it or not. Buy cheap and you will buy twice! Or at least more often, but that is not my way. Go for it. Said in the name of Ken Ishiwata 😂
And now we'll see what the Austria chef brings to the table. Take care @ ALL
Sure thing. Nevertheless if you pay for what you get and you get what you want, I think it is fine :)

Back