Beta Test: DLNA Cast

So, lets talk about Roon 😉
And my often mentioned opinion about my turntable beauties offended by wireless or even worse smart things 😂

I mentioned Roon solely for parity reasons. One LMS requires one Roon. 😉
We use it for the streaming services, the room correction with ARC and miniDSP (assisted by a professional) and the stored music. No other features in charge.

Think I was a bit irritated because WiiM offered it as kind of substitution for the Apple issue. Or did I understood it wrong?
Anyway just got out of beta back to stable.
Because a never expected love for Apple Music made its way into my head I really think about a DMP A8 instead of the Ultra. Needs some more research..
So you wanted wiim to cap it at 256kbps? ;)

One other thing to mention is that my DLNA proxied Chromecast speakers aren't discovered. They were when I first tried it but for some reason they're not now.

When they were found they didn't work, possibly because of the stream format, but now I can't even begin to debug.

Would be nice if we could get this working as we then have synchronised Chromecast (Chromecast output).

Last edited:
Is it allowed after silently closing the door behind me to look in when quoted? 😉
@Mr Ee As written above it was a totally misunderstanding from my side. And I do not wait for anything from WiiM. I take what they deliver 😂

Have you tried local content?
Do your speakers support 24/48?
Yes, I have tried local content, and can play content via DLNA effortlessly from a Windows mini PC.
My speakers support 24/192.

Via the WiiM Home App, the best I can manage is an occasional stutter of about 1-2 seconds of sound, every 5-10 seconds or so, and that was using a 320kbps, 16 bit, 44.1 KHz stream.

Via the WiiM Home App, the best I can manage is an occasional stutter of about 1-2 seconds of sound, every 5-10 seconds or so, and that was using a 320kbps, 16 bit, 44.1 KHz stream.
I think the stream gets transcoded so it probably doesn't make much difference what the input is.

I've been successful with Sonos and Ropieee so far.. If you're on Android you could try BubbleUPnP. Enable the Local renderer and 'Allow remote control' to see if that works for you, as it does for me, after an initial delay.

Is your WiiM wired or using WiFi?

EDIT: it's not working with RoPieee, it must have been playing through the WiiM. I'm finding it occasionally switches between DLNA Out and Optical Out.

Last edited:
I think the stream gets transcoded so it probably doesn't make much difference what the input is.

I've been successful with Sonos and Ropieee so far.. If you're on Android you could try BubbleUPnP. Enable the Local renderer and 'Allow remote control' to see if that works for you, as it does for me, after an initial delay.

Is your WiiM wired or using WiFi?
I'm using iOS, and my WiiM devices are all connected to a mesh WiFi network. I have tried with WiiM Pro, and WiiM Pro Plus devices, and achieved the same results.

Can I please remind testers to submit tickets for any issues you encounter to give WiiM a chance to fix/ improve the feature? Thx

I'm using iOS, and my WiiM devices are all connected to a mesh WiFi network. I have tried with WiiM Pro, and WiiM Pro Plus devices, and achieved the same results.
Given the WiiM not only needs to receive the file/audio from your media server but also send it out to your DLNA speakers, would it be possible to rule out Wi-FI by moving one of your WiiMs to a router (given it doesn't need to be near speakers for this test) and using that to DLNA cast?

Are your PC and DLNA speakers also on WiFi?

I'm not saying it is Wi-Fi, but it's easier to rule out than anything else. Mine are all wired so I'll test with WiiM over Wi-Fi later

Just tried selected my Samsung tv, Linn amp and another WiiM as DLNA targets and it drops the pairing to the first two after about four or five seconds, even deselecting them from the DLNA pairing page. Ticket submitted.

My Pro Plus just updated its firmware to 4.8.620750, with no info on the rocket popup. It’s no longer marked as beta in device settings, but the DLNA cast option is still there… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll go try some of my tests again…

My Pro Plus just updated its firmware to 4.8.620750, with no info on the rocket popup. It’s no longer marked as beta in device settings, but the DLNA cast option is still there… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll go try some of my tests again…
It's a second FW with DLNA cast? I didn't get any yet.

Back