Beta Test: DLNA Cast

Seems to be working to my Linn amp ok now whereas before it was silent. I note that my Linn shows the stream as 24/48 FLAC irrespective of whether the source was a 24/192 FLAC or a 192kbps MP3 file.

Still ignoring my Samsung Tv and Denon Ceol Piccolo which should arguably show up as DLNA targets.

I am signed up for the beta test and the firmware duly becaim available for my Pro.
Initially I could see a list of DLNA enabled devices bur before I could test DNLA output disappeared as an option and now it has ben replaced by Airplay Out ?
I will raise a ticket but has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Thanks

I am signed up for the beta test and the firmware duly becaim available for my Pro.
Initially I could see a list of DLNA enabled devices bur before I could test DNLA output disappeared as an option and now it has ben replaced by Airplay Out ?
I still have DLNA Out on my Pro.
Were you one of the few that registered your dissatisfaction when AirPlay out was removed?

No I wasn't.
I think I have solved part of the mystery.
My android tablet hads not updated the app. Updating has now given me DLNA out and a list of DLNA devices.
When I first looked at the beta test I wss looking at the info from my iPad
None appear to work though and I'm not seeing my RPi renderers in the list

None appear to work though and I'm not seeing my RPi renderers in the list
I've had Sonos Play:1s work and the local renderer in BubbleUPnP, but no luck (no audio) with RoPieee or Chromecast proxied renderers.

Make sure you use the app to send feedback after a failed attempt. What RPI renderers are you using?

Would love to participate but I'm waiting for the firmware change. Where do you actually go to use dlna>

Would love to participate but I'm waiting for the firmware change. Where do you actually go to use dlna>
What device do you have as I don't think it's coming to the Mini.

The feature is available in the devices Audio Output section, meaning you can't use the WiiM as a player at the same time.

Screenshot_20240625-080529.png

I've just received 621034 on the Pro.

I think the beta changelog should include the detail of what has been fixed so we can focus our time accordingly. With that said I've only had success with Sonos thus far.

I've just received 621034 on the Pro.

I think the beta changelog should include the detail of what has been fixed so we can focus our time accordingly. With that said I've only had success with Sonos thus far.
Please check the release notes for the version 621034:

Bug Fixes:

1. DLNA Cast Enhancements: Resolved the disconnection issue with specific DLNA-enabled speakers and changed the audio format to MP3 (320kbps) for better compatibility.

Bug Fixes:

1. DLNA Cast Enhancements: Resolved the disconnection issue with specific DLNA-enabled speakers and changed the audio format to MP3 (320kbps) for better compatibility.
I don't think it mentioned any of that when I did the update, but I may be mistaken.

Is there any way to access that detail after the update has been applied? I tried clicking on the firmware version in the app but it asks if I want to exit the beta.

Bug Fixes:

Is that for all target speakers? Can’t DLNA cast determine the capabilities of the target devices? By all means use the lowest common denominator when casting to multiple speakers, but that sounds like all DLNA Cast will do is lossy transmission which will disappoint many users I’d guess. When it was first announced, I thought it might actually offer hi res lossless casting like the current UPnP support, but this seems at the other end of the spectrum :(

Is that for all target speakers? Can’t DLNA cast determine the capabilities of the target devices? By all means use the lowest common denominator when casting to multiple speakers, but that sounds like all DLNA Cast will do is lossy transmission which will disappoint many users I’d guess. When it was first announced, I thought it might actually offer hi res lossless casting like the current UPnP support, but this seems at the other end of the spectrum :(
In the WiiM Home App, you can select the format. There isn't a standard method to determine which formats downstream DLNA devices support. Note that many DLNA speakers do not support FLAC by default.

Whilst renderers don't tell you the resolution they support, they should tell you the formats.

I think it's being sent as a live stream which might explain some of the compromises.

While the new beta is no longer dropping selected devices from DLNA Cast, playback to my Samsung TV keeps dropping out. Ticket 506124 submitted.

Update: apparently this feature to chose format is in development and hopefully will be released next week

Last edited:
Thanks. I've got a wiim pro and pro+. No updates yet for me.
Did you submit your MAC address to the Beta Test DLNA Cast link in the first post?
It might be worth sending feedback from the WiiM Home app noting your MAC address(es).

After the new firmware update I'm now able to cast to my Huawei Sound speakers. But they lost sync after a couple of mins.

Back