Beta Test: Plex

The new Ultra firmware (5.2.629945) was installed yesterday. I have what I believe is the latest Android version of the Wiim Home App (2.11.6.240920.55be7c).

So far, I like the new Plex implementation much better than accessing my music files from my Plex server via the Home Music Share method. I am now able to access my Playlists from Plex. Previously, I had to create new playlists in the WHA which had issues displaying the Album Artwork.

Two things to note:
1) When clicking on Plex (beta), then Artists, the artist names are not sorted alphabetically. The sort menu does not list an option to sort alphabetically. Makes it difficult to find what I am looking for.
2) I am unable to find a way to add my Plex playlists as presets.

I am going to raise a ticket via the WHA and see if these issues/features can be addressed/added.

My WiiM was unable to detect my library and connect to my Plex server. It showed “Unable to discover library”

First of all, I had to make sure that Plex is using the actual internal IP instead of the Docker virtual network IP. For docker installations, Plex MUST use host mode in the docker network configuration.

After setting this configuration, WiiM still refuses to connect to my Plex server. After messaging back and forth with WiiM support, it appears that the WiiM Mini device is unable to access my Plex server.

After doing some research, it appears that WiiM Mini (possibly other devices too) only uses HTTP to connect to a Plex server and not HTTPS. To make this work, I had to turn my Secure Connections to "Preferred" instead of "Required". To set this configuration, go to Plex Settings -> Network -> Secure Connections where you can toggle either "Preferred" or "Required". This made my Plex Server accessible for my Wiim Mini device.

I am not a fan of this, this means that all of my Plex users are able to stream without a secure connection. Please add HTTPS support for Plex so I can change it back to “Required”.

Thank you! server now seen. I don't share this server, would be hard anyway since I think my ISP has this double natted.

Plays DSD at much lower volume than 16/44 flac files. can go 100% volume, with flac I would have hearing damage.

I thought with the last Ultra firmware it was 24/88, now says 24/192 with DSD64, I guess this is the conversion to DoP?

Last edited:
I think the latest firmware is very good - I would love the ability to jump to it directly from the top of the Favourites i.e. similar to Qobuz, Amazon when you add them

There is a little number next to the Playlist name and you click it to add a playlist as a preset:
1727162157055.png

The new Ultra firmware (5.2.629945) was installed yesterday. I have what I believe is the latest Android version of the Wiim Home App (2.11.6.240920.55be7c).

So far, I like the new Plex implementation much better than accessing my music files from my Plex server via the Home Music Share method. I am now able to access my Playlists from Plex. Previously, I had to create new playlists in the WHA which had issues displaying the Album Artwork.

Two things to note:
1) When clicking on Plex (beta), then Artists, the artist names are not sorted alphabetically. The sort menu does not list an option to sort alphabetically. Makes it difficult to find what I am looking for.

I am going to raise a ticket via the WHA and see if these issues/features can be addressed/added.
Concerning 1)...did you try clicking on anything after 'artists' to try and sort them? Because my wiim home started crashing after I tried sorting 'artists' (by clicking on 'random').

Two things to note:

I have found by selecting "By Folder". I get artists listed alphabetically. This works mainly because Windows Media Player which is how I ripped the CD's in the first place, automatically does the same. With albums listed correctly as folder>artist>album.

I think the latest firmware is very good - I would love the ability to jump to it directly from the top of the Favourites i.e. similar to Qobuz, Amazon when you add them

There is a little number next to the Playlist name and you click it to add a playlist as a preset:
View attachment 12062
Thanks for the suggestion. When I click on "Plex (beta)" from the Browse menu, then select Playlists, I see the playlists that are housed on the Plex server. I don't see a number or option to add the playlist as a preset.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240924-120639_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240924-120639_WiiM Home.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240924-120624_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240924-120624_WiiM Home.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 8
I have found by selecting "By Folder". I get artists listed alphabetically. This works mainly because Windows Media Player which is how I ripped the CD's in the first place, automatically does the same. With albums listed correctly as folder>artist>album.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your suggestion and selected "folders" instead of "Artists" from the Plex menu. It does sort alphabetically. Thanks for that tip.

I did submit a ticket and asked that they provide an option to sort the "Artists" alphabetically as the Artists view shows the Artwork and the icons are larger and easier to read. Hopefully, Wiim will add this option in a new release.

Attachments

• Artist List.jpg
    Artist List.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Folder List.jpg
    Folder List.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 8
My WiiM was unable to detect my library and connect to my Plex server. It showed “Unable to discover library”

First of all, I had to make sure that Plex is using the actual internal IP instead of the Docker virtual network IP. For docker installations, Plex MUST use host mode in the docker network configuration.

After setting this configuration, WiiM still refuses to connect to my Plex server. After messaging back and forth with WiiM support, it appears that the WiiM Mini device is unable to access my Plex server.

After doing some research, it appears that WiiM Mini (possibly other devices too) only uses HTTP to connect to a Plex server and not HTTPS. To make this work, I had to turn my Secure Connections to "Preferred" instead of "Required". To set this configuration, go to Plex Settings -> Network -> Secure Connections where you can toggle either "Preferred" or "Required". This made my Plex Server accessible for my Wiim Mini device.

I am not a fan of this, this means that all of my Plex users are able to stream without a secure connection. Please add HTTPS support for Plex so I can change it back to “Required”.
Hi mitchelv07,

We will add HTTPS Support for Plex in the next app update, which will be released in two days.

Finally got the firmware update for my Wiim Amp logged into Plex etc, all looking good except everytime I click Album view the app crashes constantly, have sent feedback to Wiim.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I click on "Plex (beta)" from the Browse menu, then select Playlists, I see the playlists that are housed on the Plex server. I don't see a number or option to add the playlist as a preset.
If you click on the Playlist you want as a preset you will see the number below the Playlist Title on the left. Click the three dots next to the number and select add to preset.

Can confirm I get the same behavior regarding encrypted connections, had to switch the setting to "Preferred" for Wiim to see my local plex libraries

Back