Fixed output and SQ…

Is it just me or are we getting more questions where we either have to be mind readers or slowly need to drag out pertinent information before we can try to answer, or am I just a bit carnaptious this evening? 🤣

Is it just me or are we getting more questions where we either have to be mind readers or slowly need to drag out pertinent information before we can try to answer, or am I just a bit carnaptious this evening? 🤣
I had to look that up 🤣

Set the output to fixed, and the output level to 0.5vRMS, works fine for most my 80s setups

I’m not sure if this person knows what’s he’s talking about or what he’s doing.

To be fair it's a genuine question as to whether digital volume control affects sound quality, there are plenty of implementations where it does.

My mistake was not reading the entire thread before trying to help.

Putting the DAC in pre-amp mode is possible, but just as undesirable as manipulating the digital signal upfront in the Ultra.
And one more note, just to clarify this: I'm not against the digital volume control of the WiiM Ultra at all. I think it works extremely well and the Ultra makes one fine pre-amp, especially given it's modest price.

But if you pick an outboard DAC deliberately and feed that into an all analogue amplifier with a valve stage (or rather tube stage in the US), then it makes no sense to combine digital and analogue volume control.

Back