How to use RC ?

MCG555

Major Contributor
Generally speaking, the room itself is often the biggest disturbance when it comes to audiophile enjoyment . So digital RC has huge big potential.
However , based on my experience and apparently others too, what is a sensible way to start this topic and journey?

Not sure what to think of this feature here in WiiM and how sophisticated it is….
In my case, in my (acousticly cold) room, I know I have some base mods, also because of large windows and little furniture / carpets. They show up (too) and WiiM tries to correct them.
However with quite some strange results that one value e.g. 46Hz. can have more than 1 correction value.
Used the standard settings to get started.
Need to test more, but initial results are not satisfing…
Also the rest of the curve shows every time a bit different (+- 3db). Tried it with my iPad Air2 and my iphone 12.
+- 30cm difference in the sweet spot can already have huge influence / difference… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Can we learn from Pros here? Thank you! 😃

Generally speaking, the room itself is often the biggest disturbance when it comes to audiophile enjoyment . So digital RC has huge big potential.
However , based on my experience and apparently others too, what is a sensible way to start this topic and journey?

Not sure what to think of this feature here in WiiM and how sophisticated it is….
In my case, in my (acousticly cold) room, I know I have some base mods, also because of large windows and little furniture / carpets. They show up (too) and WiiM tries to correct them.
However with quite some strange results that one value e.g. 46Hz. can have more than 1 correction value.
Used the standard settings to get started.
Need to test more, but initial results are not satisfing…
Also the rest of the curve shows every time a bit different (+- 3db). Tried it with my iPad Air2 and my iphone 12.
+- 30cm difference in the sweet spot can already have huge influence / difference… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Can we learn from Pros here? Thank you! 😃
I have a similar room to you and just started playing with RC without much knowledge of how it works or what to expect. My second attempt with full range frequency and my iPad Air 2 produced this which sounds better than without EQ but I would like to understand it in more detail.

1000013540.jpg

My chart goes into the same direction. Also I have the impression it sounds better / fuller… Tough the base department sounds a bit „overloaded“? Difficult to tell right now… And I assume the correction curve should be different with different volumes as modes become different(?)…

IMG_1393.png

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, it does not always make sense to correct over the entire frequency spectrum. It is better to leave out the high frequencies. But where do high frequencies start?

Also, high "Q" values can apparently lead to distortion (I read this in another thread). Should you be more careful here and choose lower values for "Q"? What would be a good start?

I started to adjust the peak corrections, because they were too much… I did not understand the q values so far so I left them… 😅 I assume it is kind of the „steepness“ of the correction. The higher the value the narrower the band filter(?).
The standard frequency band is by default 40Hz to 4 kHz… sounds sensible to me.

Attachments

• IMG_9651.png
    IMG_9651.png
    907.7 KB · Views: 29
My chart goes into the same direction. Also I have the impression it sounds better / fuller… Tough the base department sounds a bit „overloaded“? Difficult to tell right now… And I assume the correction curve should be different with different volumes as modes become different(?)…

View attachment 8112
More than 12dB boost at 100Hz is very likely to cause clipping and would explain it sounding overloaded.

More than 12dB boost at 100Hz is very likely to cause clipping and would explain it sounding overloaded.
Yeah, totally agree. I manually corrected it down. However, if I do 3 measurements on the same place (+/- 15cm) I get 3 different results +/- 5db. So to me it seams this „toy“ is too sensitive. It should be filtered a bit…

Yeah, totally agree. I manually corrected it down. However, if I do 3 measurements on the same place (+/- 15cm) I get 3 different results +/- 5db. So to me it seams this „toy“ is too sensitive. It should be filtered a bit…
I haven't had the chance to try RC yet but with REW my results are normally repeatable whether I measure from one position or move the mic and look at the average over a wider area. I wonder what filtering is used for the RC.

I haven't had the chance to try RC yet but with REW my results are normally repeatable whether I measure from one position or move the mic and look at the average over a wider area. I wonder what filtering is used for the RC.
Well, your experience with „your tool“ is apparently different then mine… 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

This I find particularly interesting… 🙄
See in red…
Remark: I used the standard settings (limited to +10)
IMG_1394.jpeg

This I find particularly interesting… 🙄
See in red…
Remark: I used the standard settings (limited to +10)
View attachment 8132
Nothing wrong with that, at least in theory. There's a very, very broad peak centered around 46 Hz, combined with a pretty narrow dip at 46 Hz.

Does it make sense? Is that iPad mic really good enough? I don't know.

Without knowing your speakers, your room, the target curve you selected and him much manual correction you applied it's impossible to tell if these results are good or bad on any way.

Last edited:
Nothin wrong with that, at least in theory. There's a very, very broad peak centered around 46 Hz, combined with a pretty narrow dip at 46 Hz.

Without knowing your speakers, your room, the target curve you selected and him much manual correction you applied it's impossible to tell if these results are good or bad on any way.
The result sound bad!
Maybe the strange behaviour at 46Hz is due to the fact that default is 40Hz - 4kHz. This is the only way it could make sense - in theory. In practice the result is nonsense!
I did not apply any manual correction here.
The room is „cold“ - very little carpets, furniture etc. Big windows. 90m2.
Default target curve.
Speakers you see in the footer…
Red is the sweet spot position.

IMG_1396.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothin wrong with that, at least in theory. There's a very, very broad peak centered around 46 Hz, combined with a pretty narrow dip at 46 Hz.

If the default is 40Hz to 4kHz and the target curve is Harman or similar it almost guarantees a large boost at low frequencies as the high frequencies can't be cut. A subwoofer helps since you can raise the gain of that to avoid having to boost the source.

The result sound bad!
Maybe the strange behaviour at 46Hz is due to the fact that default is 40Hz - 4kHz. This is the only way it could make sense - in theory. In practice the result is nonsense!
I did not apply any manual correction here.
The room is „cold“ - very little carpets, furniture etc. Big windows. 90m2.
Default target curve.
Speakers you see in the footer…
What is the default target curve?

Back