Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow....that's probably a dealbreaker for me then. I intend to use a subwoofer to the Ultra and having my integrated amplifier on max volume (and controlling volume on the Ultra) to ensure same volume on speakers and subwoofer...I mean, the whole purpose of having an integrated amplifier is to have a safe volume control. Or am I missing something here?
And this is exactly the scenario that will work absolutely fine.

Go ahead, there's no problem.

Whats about the sub connecting to the power amp in the good old way with speaker cables?

We need proper high pass filtering (for the mains) and low pass filtering (for the sub) performed by the pre-processor for acceptable sub integration.

I do not need it. My speakers gets down enough 😉
Those MOFI's, while I'm sure they sound epic, are rated down to 42Hz....is that really enough? I listen to some music showing heft at 32Hz that would go unheard. How do you know you've got enough unless you've tried more ;) (is this red rag to a bull time again!).

Those MOFI's, while I'm sure they sound epic, are rated down to 42Hz....is that really enough? I listen to some music showing heft at 32Hz that would go unheard. How do you know you've got enough unless you've tried more ;) (is this red rag to a bull time again!).

Believe me, I am long enough in this business to know what I need. (I sometimes think I have already more forgotten about hifi then many of the younger ones will ever know.) With former speakers subs have been of course in charge. Now for the specific room and my listening preferences the MoFis get deep enough. And no, you did not use the triggers 😉

There's nothing magically right about the "natural" roll-off of any speaker. If you stay clear of subwoofers, there's no problem of integrating one. Obviously. ;)

But trying to match a sub to said "natural" roll-off is really an unnecessarily tedious and stupid game.

I admit, I never wanted subs for stereo. Now that I have them (properly integrated using Lyngdorf's fully flexible bass management) I'd never go back.

Wow....that's probably a dealbreaker for me then. I intend to use a subwoofer to the Ultra and having my integrated amplifier on max volume (and controlling volume on the Ultra) to ensure same volume on speakers and subwoofer...I mean, the whole purpose of having an integrated amplifier is to have a safe volume control. Or am I missing something here?

You can do that.

Set up your system so that volume on the WiiM is correct when volume on the amp is at maximum.

Every time you turn your system off, or before you turn it back on, set the volume on the amp to minimum.

If you turn on when it’s at minimum, then slowly wind it up to maximum, reducing volume on the Ultra if something’s gone wrong, you’ll be fine.

I would not want my pre-amp to have a digital volume control when going into a power-amp. One wrong firmware update resetting the volume level could cause a lot of damage.....

I would not want my pre-amp to have a digital volume control when going into a power-amp. One wrong firmware update resetting the volume level could cause a lot of damage.....
In my case the power amp has a gain selector, I set it so the max volume out of the WiiM isn't going to blow my speakers

Switching on and off the pre- and the power amp in the right order will safely prevent this form occurring. Like back in the good old days.

Sorry if I'm nagging about this but: if you have the Ultra connected to an integrated amplifier (or analogue preamp) couldn't you just leave the Ultra on max volume and control the volume on your integrated amplifier or preamp? And by doing so still get even volume on main speakers and the subwoofer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back