Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm nagging about this but: if you have the Ultra connected to an integrated amplifier (or analogue preamp) couldn't you just leave the Ultra on max volume and control the volume on your integrated amplifier or preamp? And by doing so still get even volume on main speakers and the subwoofer?
You set the volume to the highest setting on the integrated amplifier, and then you can use the Wiim App to control the volume. I've got an Emotiva TA-100, and I set the volume to the max, and I use my Wiim Pro + the app to control the volume. I also leave the TA-100 on all the time.

I would not want my pre-amp to have a digital volume control when going into a power-amp. One wrong firmware update resetting the volume level could cause a lot of damage.....

I think you missed my posts explaining how this can be easily avoided.

Another video.

A bit of the same-old-same-old, but it's the first time I've seen BBC Radio on the display, or showing how streaming radio would look.

Sorry if I'm nagging about this but: if you have the Ultra connected to an integrated amplifier (or analogue preamp) couldn't you just leave the Ultra on max volume and control the volume on your integrated amplifier or preamp? And by doing so still get even volume on main speakers and the subwoofer?
I’ve been looking for several years for a preamp I could control from an ap. Having a non-phone remote with a mute button is gravy. Having a volume control on the case front is double gravy. Having input volume controls on the power amp means the digital preamp can’t accidentally fry anything. And, as others have pointed out you can but a passive volume control that goes between preamp and amp.

I have, by the way, had a power amp, a Citation 16, lose its filter caps. I don’t think it sent full power to the speakers, but it was loud. There is no way to guarantee, 100 percent, that you will never have a catastrophic failure.

Again, the only way to be 100% sure is to turn the pre amp/Ultra on first, turn the volume on that right down. Make sure no music is playing. Then, and only then, turn the amp on. Again, turn right down.

Start playing music and slowly wind the volume up from 0 on the pre/Ultra.

It’s the only way to be sure. Either that or nuke it from space.

Again, the only way to be 100% sure is to turn the pre amp/Ultra on first, turn the volume on that right down. Make sure no music is playing. Then, and only then, turn the amp on. Again, turn right down.

Start playing music and slowly wind the volume up from 0 on the pre/Ultra.

It’s the only way to be sure. Either that or nuke it from space.
Too often I've forgotten this advice 😉

IMG_3578.jpeg

Haha, good answers!🤣 I think I'm going for this combo: The Wiim Ultra and the IOM Ncore v250a. The stereo amplifier is based on a Hypex Ncore 250 watt stereo module with passive (non digital) volume control. The dimensions on the Ultra and the IOM Ncore is almost identical which makes a nice pair on my slim shelf in the living room. I'm just hoping they will match up nicely and give me quality sound in a small size. My speakers are Elac Solano BS283 and subwoofer SVS SB 2000 Pro. 303480_2.jpg 382421-wiim-ultra-natverksspelare-775_2.jpgPNG-Web-1080-1-1-TP_0000s_0008_ELAC-Solano-BS-283.2-Black-9-23-3-tinify-1-1.png
v250_voorzijde-scaled.jpg

Haha, good answers!🤣 I think I'm going for this combo: The Wiim Ultra and the IOM Ncore v250a. The stereo amplifier is based on a Hypex Ncore 250 watt stereo module with passive (non digital) volume control. The dimensions on the Ultra and the IOM Ncore is almost identical which makes a nice pair on my slim shelf in the living room. I'm just hoping they will match up nicely and give me quality sound in a small size. My speakers are Elac Solano BS283 and subwoofer SVS SB 2000 Pro. View attachment 8220 View attachment 8218View attachment 8219
View attachment 8217
Nice speakers and sub....! Not sure about the amp!

My issue was not about the quality of an amp I do not know. My problem is always lack of respect for someones decisions. This know-it-better attitude...

My issue was not about the quality of an amp I do not know. My problem is always lack of respect for someones decisions. This know-it-better attitude...
He has not bought them...He is thinking of buying these components.

Totally unknown brand, reliability etc...
There is no "brand" associated with the Hypex Ncore modules. It's a module that, in this case IOM, simply puts in a box without altering it. There are several other who makes the same thing. Buckeye, Audiophonics, VTV, Apollon Audio etc. Technically, a Hypex Ncore module is vastly superior to any class A and A/B amplifier and the price is much more affordable. I haven't heard one yet though but since I need a really small amplifier on my slim shelf this is the only way to go for me.

There is no "brand" associated with the Hypex Ncore modules. It's a module that, in this case IOM, simply puts in a box without altering it. There are several other who makes the same thing. Buckeye, Audiophonics, VTV, Apollon Audio etc. Technically, a Hypex Ncore module is vastly superior to any class A and A/B amplifier and the price is much more affordable. I haven't heard one yet though but since I need a really small amplifier on my slim shelf this is the only way to go for me.

Elac solano is 4 ohms . I am not sure the box is the only differentiator . NAD also uses hypex or purify

This is from the asr review @pewe

1718893519151.png

Last edited:
Anything that is better than class A must be really good.

I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back