Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question : Is the volume control on the Ultra made of metal or plastic ?
Good question. I'll take a look when I get home tonight. The one thing I did discover is that, unlike a conventional analog volume knob, it takes a lot of rotation to change volume. Most of the time I'll be using the app to control volume, just as I currently do with my LMS setup.

So here’s a question maybe someone can answer.

Given that the phono stage is digital, was there any need for both phono and line inputs, apart for allowing both a record deck and one other analogue input? Could one input not simply have had auto detect for the signal coming in?

It’s just that I’d guess there are more people wanting to add two digital devices (or choose between optical and coax) than two analogue devices.
Yes as phono requires a much lower level input and the correct RIAA curve. It could be handled in the digital realm to switch all that but it’s likely best on its own circuit.

Question : Is the volume control on the Ultra made of metal or plastic ?
Plastic.

Yes as phono requires a much lower level input and the correct RIAA curve. It could be handled in the digital realm to switch all that but it’s likely best on its own circuit.
RIAA EQ is done in the digital domain, as confirmed by WiiM. Compensating for the difference in input level purely digitally would cost roughly 50 dB of SNR, on top of what's needed for RIAA. Not a good idea.

Defined input resistance and capacitance are other requirements. Making these switchable would require a couple of switches. May be possible, I can't think of a device doing that from the top of my head.

I received my Ultra on Saturday. This is my first post here and I don’t do reviews typically, but I see you guys are jonesing for some fresh news, as was I, so here goes.

First off, I placed an order with Crutchfield around June 10 and near the due date (7/5), I got an email pushing it back until 8/12. Then I saw it available from WiiM on Amazon for an August 23-25 delivery, ordered it, and it actually arrived a few days early.

First impressions were that it looked good, but the build quality was a bit less than I was (unreasonably?) expecting. It’s pretty light weight for the size and the aluminum seems quite thin, neither of which is that big of a deal. My only real issue is that the volume knob feels quite cheap; there’s minimal resistance, it’s not deep enough and it makes an unpleasant plastic on plastic sound when turned. Also, some kind of adapter is needed for the rca plugs with anything but basic cables. It would have been nice if some had been supplied like the phono ground adapter that’s in the box.

That’s about it for any negatives! I’m really enjoying it, minor issues notwithstanding!

My system is WiiM Ultra/ Tecnics 1500C TT/ Pro-Ject Tube Box S2/ RME ADI2 Dac/Hattor Audio NC500 mono amps and various diy speakers and subwoofers. The Ultra is replacing a Node 2i.

I made all comparisons by first level matching using an spl meter app on my phone. That being said, all these comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt because they are quick comparisons, but the WiiM sounds better than the Node with both as digital out into the RME being used as DAC and PRE. This is strictly down to the room correction. With it turned off, they sound the same to me. The room correction is quick and effective. It makes a subtle, but also hugely noticeable and worthwhile difference in my room. Much, much richer sound, and better than I was able to achieve with calibrated measurements and peq on the RME! I also have DIRAC in another room and it has a similar effect, but is much more time consuming to set up.

Comparing the sound through the RME DAC or run directly to the amps from the WiiM, the RME sounded quite a bit fuller and richer, but also more sparkly. I really didn’t expect too big of a difference, but it was easily noticeable. The only variable, besides auditory memory, is that the the RME is connected to the amps with XLR whereas the WIIM was using rca, for what that’s worth. Without a $1k+ DAC to compare to, I doubt I would be disappointed with the Ultra as an all in one device and any differences could potentially be made up with a bit of eq, but I didn’t try it.

When using the WIIM as a PRE, but RME as the DAC, I can discern no noticeable difference between that and the RME’s PRE section. Both are providing me with transparent, enjoyable, rich and detailed sound. That’s pretty big props in my book, because I’ve always considered the RME’s preamp section to be very clean and transparent. It also means the ability to use the Ultra’s subwoofer management and better remote for volume and whatnot. I just lose the RME’s loudness function.

I didn’t try the phono section, but did connect my phono pre to the Ultra’s line in and it works perfectly and as expected.

Overall, this device is fantastic! Functionality, value, sound quality and looks are all top notch as far as I can tell. I have a few issues still, but they all seem to be the usual suspects and I’m sure they’ll get sorted shortly. AirPlay, Apple Music integration and a decent potentiometer and knob would make this nearly perfect especially at the price or anywhere even close to it. And a few RCA adapters would be nice too. Thanks WiiM!

Hope that helps y’all get your fix until you get yours!

I received my Ultra on Saturday. This is my first post here and I don’t do reviews typically, but I see you guys are jonesing for some fresh news, as was I, so here goes.

First off, I placed an order with Crutchfield around June 10 and near the due date (7/5), I got an email pushing it back until 8/12. Then I saw it available from WiiM on Amazon for an August 23-25 delivery, ordered it, and it actually arrived a few days early.

First impressions were that it looked good, but the build quality was a bit less than I was (unreasonably?) expecting. It’s pretty light weight for the size and the aluminum seems quite thin, neither of which is that big of a deal. My only real issue is that the volume knob feels quite cheap; there’s minimal resistance, it’s not deep enough and it makes an unpleasant plastic on plastic sound when turned. Also, some kind of adapter is needed for the rca plugs with anything but basic cables. It would have been nice if some had been supplied like the phono ground adapter that’s in the box.

That’s about it for any negatives! I’m really enjoying it, minor issues notwithstanding!

My system is WiiM Ultra/ Tecnics 1500C TT/ Pro-Ject Tube Box S2/ RME ADI2 Dac/Hattor Audio NC500 mono amps and various diy speakers and subwoofers. The Ultra is replacing a Node 2i.

I made all comparisons by first level matching using an spl meter app on my phone. That being said, all these comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt because they are quick comparisons, but the WiiM sounds better than the Node with both as digital out into the RME being used as DAC and PRE. This is strictly down to the room correction. With it turned off, they sound the same to me. The room correction is quick and effective. It makes a subtle, but also hugely noticeable and worthwhile difference in my room. Much, much richer sound, and better than I was able to achieve with calibrated measurements and peq on the RME! I also have DIRAC in another room and it has a similar effect, but is much more time consuming to set up.

Comparing the sound through the RME DAC or run directly to the amps from the WiiM, the RME sounded quite a bit fuller and richer, but also more sparkly. I really didn’t expect too big of a difference, but it was easily noticeable. The only variable, besides auditory memory, is that the the RME is connected to the amps with XLR whereas the WIIM was using rca, for what that’s worth. Without a $1k+ DAC to compare to, I doubt I would be disappointed with the Ultra as an all in one device and any differences could potentially be made up with a bit of eq, but I didn’t try it.

When using the WIIM as a PRE, but RME as the DAC, I can discern no noticeable difference between that and the RME’s PRE section. Both are providing me with transparent, enjoyable, rich and detailed sound. That’s pretty big props in my book, because I’ve always considered the RME’s preamp section to be very clean and transparent. It also means the ability to use the Ultra’s subwoofer management and better remote for volume and whatnot. I just lose the RME’s loudness function.

I didn’t try the phono section, but did connect my phono pre to the Ultra’s line in and it works perfectly and as expected.

Overall, this device is fantastic! Functionality, value, sound quality and looks are all top notch as far as I can tell. I have a few issues still, but they all seem to be the usual suspects and I’m sure they’ll get sorted shortly. AirPlay, Apple Music integration and a decent potentiometer and knob would make this nearly perfect especially at the price or anywhere even close to it. And a few RCA adapters would be nice too. Thanks WiiM!

Thanks!

This is interesting as I'm looking at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for a while as well.

Do you listen through headphones sometimes as well to provide comparison of RME vs Ultra for the headphone abilities?

If you make an alluminun case why you save a few cents on plastic volume control? WHY?
Even for the low price on this, I’m with you. It’s just about the only thing you interact with regularly and it lets it down some imo.

Thanks!

This is interesting as I'm looking at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for a while as well.

Do you listen through headphones sometimes as well to provide comparison of RME vs Ultra for the headphone abilities?
I don’t sorry, I only have Bluetooth headphones.

Rest assured though that the RME DACS Are fantastic and by all accounts the headphone amp section is no slouch in it. I was hoping to maybe sell mine with the introduction of the Ultra, but I think not. It’s sounds a lot better with it in place and I think I’ll still use it for bass/treble and balance controls. Plus the balanced outs and maybe headphones down the line

Could you test when using the analog inputs, what is the bit depth & resolution of the digital signal sent to your DAC? :)

Sorry for the terrible quality, my iPad camera sucks! Is that what you wanted? That’s with a record playing

A couple times on the Ultra when changing to a new input, the volume has started at 100! Anyone else experiencing this?

I verified each time that the volume was not set to fixed, but it has been set to fixed in the past.

Comparing the sound through the RME DAC or run directly to the amps from the WiiM, the RME sounded quite a bit fuller and richer, but also more sparkly.
Was this listening test performed AFTER you had set Room Correction in the WiiM?? Could that be the difference once you turned around and played the RME without that RC PEQ??

Was this listening test performed AFTER you had set Room Correction in the WiiM?? Could that be the difference once you turned around and played the RME without that RC PEQ??
Yeah, this was after correction. I assumed correction was on for the line out too. I take a look and report back

Ok.. I believe it was on for both digital and analog out. I don’t see a way to change it. There are options for setting PEQ per source, but not output.

Yeah, this was after correction. I assumed correction was on for the line out too. I take a look and report back

Ok.. I believe it was on for both digital and analog out. I don’t see a way to change it. There are options for setting PEQ per source, but not output.
So in addition to RC are you also applying PEQ or other adjustments on the RME DAC?

A couple times on the Ultra when changing to a new input, the volume has started at 100! Anyone else experiencing this?

I verified each time that the volume was not set to fixed, but it has been set to fixed in the past.
After turning on auto-sensing in the audio input settings of the WiiM app, please set the volume for each input while switching inputs with the remote.

If you switch inputs again with the remote after these settings are complete, does the problem still occur?

Got the Ultra moved into my main system this evening. Set it up as streamer and preamp, straight into the Aegir power amp and LFE input of the sub. This meant the sub crossover, volume and phase needed to be setup from scratch. I used some frequency sweeps and the sound level meter and spectrum analyzer apps on my phone to help with this, so had decent ballpark within about a half hour. Have to say I continue to be impressed with the sound quality of the DAC after a couple of hours of listening to a wide variety of material. I don't think I'm hearing any difference DAC-wise, though I'm thinking the Lyr 3 preamp is still my preference. One thing I did notice is that the 2 volt output of the Ultra isn't adequate for some material with the Aegir's input sensitivity. One album I pull out for this is Jennifer Warne's "Famous Blue Raincoat" album which was recorded in the late 1980s and they tried to take advantage of the CD's 96 dB dynamic range -- the average playback level of this wonderful recording is very low. Using the Ultra straight into the Aegir leaves the desired volume level around 5 or 6 dB too low even with the volume at 100%. This isn't a problem with the majority of other recordings. I don't have a turntable plugged in, but I could see this be a bigger issue with LPs since those playback levels vary widely.

I'm going to continue tweaking things and listening some more over the next few days but suspect I will be keeping the Lyr 3 in the system.

One other oddity I noted is that the display has problems displaying the album cover for some albums where my LMS/Raspberry Pi have no problem. Not sure what this is tied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back