Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in addition to RC are you also applying PEQ or other adjustments on the RME DAC?
For the ‘test’ described above, I had room correction applied in the Ultra and everything turned off in the RME. I could have kept correction off, but what’s the difference if its kept the same throughout?

For listening, since testing, I have also applied a peq shelf filter and balance adjustment in the RME. And I plan to also use bass/treble. It’s just easier to do these on the front of the RME then dig into the WIIM app. Also, room correction appears to be limited to 10 bands and in my use 44 Hz- 3.4Khz.

After turning on auto-sensing in the audio input settings of the WiiM app, please set the volume for each input while switching inputs with the remote.

If you switch inputs again with the remote after these settings are complete, does the problem still occur?
You nailed it. It had retained the fixed level on each input even though fixed was off. I had only used optical since changing it, so all the others were still at full volume.
A better solution would be to revert to the previously used level on each when turning fixed off. Or at least a safe starting level.

Can you try 24/192?
I don’t have anything in hi rez. I use Apple Music to an airplay device. It’s pretty lame to use a streamer and not stream with it, but that’s just where I’m at right now. I used to use Tidal, but I like Apple Music better.

Apple offer high resolution loseless but when it gets to airplay bit perfect is gone. They should upgrade airplay that support their high resolution loseless.

For the ‘test’ described above, I had room correction applied in the Ultra and everything turned off in the RME. I could have kept correction off, but what’s the difference if its kept the same throughout?

For listening, since testing, I have also applied a peq shelf filter and balance adjustment in the RME. And I plan to also use bass/treble. It’s just easier to do these on the front of the RME then dig into the WIIM app. Also, room correction appears to be limited to 10 bands and in my use 44 Hz- 3.4Khz.
Thanks for the info. I too have an Ultra and RME ADI-2 DAC. I’m still trying to figure out how best to set everything up. I also have a sub so lots of options!

In your subjective opinion, rme still better sound than the dac on ultra?
Well, I haven’t gone back and forth since, so I’ll, stick with my earlier opinion. But maybe I messed something up or didn’t give it enough time to acclimate to the sound. I just used a single song for each test. I’ll do it again more thoroughly tomorrow if I have time.

Thanks for the info. I too have an Ultra and RME ADI-2 DAC. I’m still trying to figure out how best to set everything up. I also have a sub so lots of options!
That’s why I like both of these devices… options! And all in the digital domain!

I’m leaning towards digital out from Ultra with RME volume set to fixed. So volume and sub out handled by the WiiM. So far I still have my sub connected to the RME and haven’t explored the sub management tools. The only thing lost on the RME like this is a more advanced volume control with the ref level gain structure stuff and the active loudness feature ( which I would sorely miss).

I did see someone on the RME forum saying they left auto ref level on with volume set to 0db and that allowed the auto loudness feature to continue to work🤷🏻‍♂️

Got the Ultra moved into my main system this evening. Set it up as streamer and preamp, straight into the Aegir power amp and LFE input of the sub. This meant the sub crossover, volume and phase needed to be setup from scratch. I used some frequency sweeps and the sound level meter and spectrum analyzer apps on my phone to help with this, so had decent ballpark within about a half hour. Have to say I continue to be impressed with the sound quality of the DAC after a couple of hours of listening to a wide variety of material. I don't think I'm hearing any difference DAC-wise, though I'm thinking the Lyr 3 preamp is still my preference. One thing I did notice is that the 2 volt output of the Ultra isn't adequate for some material with the Aegir's input sensitivity. One album I pull out for this is Jennifer Warne's "Famous Blue Raincoat" album which was recorded in the late 1980s and they tried to take advantage of the CD's 96 dB dynamic range -- the average playback level of this wonderful recording is very low. Using the Ultra straight into the Aegir leaves the desired volume level around 5 or 6 dB too low even with the volume at 100%. This isn't a problem with the majority of other recordings. I don't have a turntable plugged in, but I could see this be a bigger issue with LPs since those playback levels vary widely.

I'm going to continue tweaking things and listening some more over the next few days but suspect I will be keeping the Lyr 3 in the system.

One other oddity I noted is that the display has problems displaying the album cover for some albums where my LMS/Raspberry Pi have no problem. Not sure what this is tied to.
What DAC are you using? It sounds like your findings are the opposite of mine- DAC differences, but little to none with the preamps. It sounds like you’ve invested more time into this than me though, so don’t read too much into my opinions at this point.

Using the preamp on the Ultra and my DAC fixed with balanced out, I’m finding that I have a bit too much gain and don’t get the Ultra’s volume much past 50%

How much more digital devices would you need apart from a cd player, given that the WiiM itself has got pretty much all the streaming services covered? :)

For me the input set of the Ultra is *exactly* what I need actually 😉

Cd player via toslink
Turntable to phono
Cassette player to line in
Tv to HDMI ARC

I think it was the most sensible choice for them to offer one of each. Line signals or optical signals can still go through a signal selector of some kind. I currently use a toslink switcher taking care of multiple digital sources going to my current DAC without any quality loss. This one specifically is fully automated and doesn't require a remote or anything. It uses input sensing to prioritize one port over the other.

Thanks for the input. I totally get your use situation, and it really doesn’t bother me either way; the only external source I’ll be hooking up is a disc player.

But I suspect you’ll agree, our own situations set aside for a moment, the number of people needing both a phono input and a line input will be extremely small indeed, whilst those who’d prefer not to buy a converter for their digital input if the source is coax only, will probably be greater. Or is cassette making a bigger comeback than I’m judging?

But I digress, there have been other answers to the question.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back