Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok an update on my initial impressions…. The differences between the Ultra’s DAC and that of the RME are actually fairly minor.

I had accidentally turned off my subwoofer for the Ultra’s test, so this severely skewed my impressions! This time I turned off the subwoofer for both and also all eq including room correction. I used four songs and spent quite a bit more time listening this time.

I believe the RME was very slightly clearer and had a slightly taller soundstage. The largest difference I noticed was with piano (Benny Andersson- Aldrig), key strokes were more natural and bell like through the RME and a touch piercing through the Ultra.

So, after further listening, all differences between the two, besides functionality are fairly minor, as I would expect.
The slight difference can be expensive and could reach quadruple.

A couple of oddities I noticed: when switching outputs between line and coax, the input would revert to WiFi. That’s probably the default since it’s a streamer.

Also, when I moved my subwoofer from the RME’s rca out to the Ultra’s sub out and re did room correction, I ended up with very different curves and corrections, including level. I’m sure it’s something I’ve done, but I can’t really think what it is. The first is the new one and the second pic is what I had before. I’m assuming the hole around the xo frequency is a phase issue, but flipping the phase had minimal effect. The bigger issue to me at this point is how much eq was applied around 1k before, but not now🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes my placement and room sucks!
IMG_8404.pngIMG_8394.png

A couple of oddities I noticed: when switching outputs between line and coax, the input would revert to WiFi. That’s probably the default since it’s a streamer.

Also, when I moved my subwoofer from the RME’s rca out to the Ultra’s sub out and re did room correction, I ended up with very different curves and corrections, including level. I’m sure it’s something I’ve done, but I can’t really think what it is. The first is the new one and the second pic is what I had before. I’m assuming the hole around the xo frequency is a phase issue, but flipping the phase had minimal effect. The bigger issue to me at this point is how much eq was applied around 1k before, but not now🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes my placement and room sucks!
View attachment 9479View attachment 9480
The new wiim app will run test tone twice and can have different result.

Indeed and I’m never too interested in chasing it.
I’m on verge to buy rme but upon reading your subjective made me push back. Rme cost 1200 vs 320 on ultra. Now, if it’s give me additional 50 percent then I think it justify its price. I know rme include plethora of adjustments and customization which what you’re probably paying extra.

I fixed the hole in the sub xo. I still had a xo set on the plate amp. Once set to LFE, all is good. But look at the room mode that it decides not to eq! It uses up all the peq slots with little high q adjustments and ignores the largest problem in the entire response.
I ran it a few times with the same result each time. Does anyone know of a way to limit the filter’s Q to say less than 6?IMG_8407.png

I thought it just allows you to check the result of the room correction by repeating the measurement with the the RC EQ turned on.
Yes but when it say compare to magenta that color wasn’t visible to view other than going back to previous screen. Do you point the iPhone mic to speaker or pointing at you?

Yes but when it say compare to magenta that color wasn’t visible to view other than going back to previous screen. Do you point the iPhone mic to speaker or pointing at you?
I only have Android but there is a microphone at both ends of the phone and they do seem to give different results.

I’m on verge to buy rme but upon reading your subjective made me push back. Rme cost 1200 vs 320 on ultra. Now, if it’s give me additional 50 percent then I think it justify its price. I know rme include plethora of adjustments and customization which what you’re probably paying extra.
I don’t think any DAC will be 50% better unless one is broken! The Dac in the Ultra is sufficient for most I think and probably an upgrade for many with entry level DACS. The reason to get the RME would be features and headphone amp I’d think. IMO, it’s a bit better, more refined perhaps, but it wouldn’t be worth buying just for that to me.

Should I hear it twice? I hear a short high frequency tone, hen a short break and then a full sweep. Same thing as yesterday.
it was like before but with added evaluation. Yes, high frequency sweep.

I looked to see what difference the orientation of the built-in microphone made, as measured by a test sweep of the WiiM RC.

<RC test sweep file>
1000000775.jpg

<FFT Window length:8192>
(These were measured while adjusting the subwoofer, so the data is only 20-500hz.)

1. Microphone is pointed at the speaker.
1000000776.jpg

2. Microphone pointed backward.
1000000777.jpg

3. Microphone pointed up.
1000000778.jpg

4. Cover is removed and microphone is pointing toward the speaker.
1000000779.jpg

Needless to say, there is little effect of microphone position in the low frequency range.

I looked to see what difference the orientation of the built-in microphone made, as measured by a test sweep of the WiiM RC.

<RC test sweep file>
View attachment 9484

<FFT Window length:8192>
(These were measured while adjusting the subwoofer, so the data is only 20-500hz.)

1. Microphone is pointed at the speaker.
View attachment 9485

2. Microphone pointed backward.
View attachment 9486

3. Microphone pointed up.
View attachment 9487

4. Cover is removed and microphone is pointing toward the speaker.
View attachment 9488

Needless to say, there is little effect of microphone position in the low frequency range.
The Japanese master running rc on his beloved android!

I’m curious how well wiim rc to well known dirac compared to its sound quality. Has anyone has Dirac in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back