My Ultra tests

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's going to be a long time process, but I will try to add a new content periodically. Everything based on the pre prod device which is PCB ver 2 unit.

Just one thing at the beginning, a comparison of the waveforms over the digital coax output, tested with the oscilloscope and 192 kHz sample rate test signal, and terminated at 75 ohms.

This is for the Ultra:

1720769403786.png

And this is for the Pro/Plus:

1720769474185.png

Ideal and perfect waveforms would show rectangles. In the real world it should be as close as possible to the ideal one.

A rough comparison of the Pro Plus with the Ultra, THD vs frequency, 192 kHz sample rate. It's not a THD+N, so it's not a sinad. And this is over the analog output using full scale sine signals.

1720790539190.png

The "hills" here would require some explanation, but I'll spend some time on that a little later with my personal perspective on other measurements results which I've faced.

Few words on the noise on the analog output. I use 192 kHz sample rate and a dithered silence file to keep the output active.

First result is taken when the Ultra is connected directly to my ADC, screen is off:

1720903066613.png

and with the screen on:

1720903180297.png

10 kHz component (and harmonics) appear.

Now the same test but also with the scaler, so that's the setup I use most of the time, screen off:

1720903510845.png

and the screen on:

1720903589841.png

One of the differences between above setups is the input impedance, 1.2 kOhm vs 100 kOhm. I've made some additional tests with RME UCX II and 5 kOhm and 9 kOhm impedances, and observed results lied between these above, being closer to the ADC alone with its low input impedance. I guess that the noise pollution from the PSU is strong enough to reveal itself when high impedance input is used. And it can affect measurement results.
Personally I prefer to see something as below, the Pro Plus powered by an LPS and with the scaler, so high impedance input is used:

1720904460162.png

As I am still suspicious, I made another test with the LPF (which I use for class D amps measurements) attached. The scaler is used again:

1720904708096.png

Noise pollution is highly attenuated, so maybe it comes from the high frequency noise made by the PSU. I looked at the spectrum of white noise to verify how the DAC filter (there are 7 of them BTW) handles is. Below a comparison with the Pro Plus:

1720905256950.png

It doesn't look good to me.

And something for those sinad addicted, with an LPF:

1720974561375.png

and without it:

1720974585447.png

For all the following tests I will use the LPF, except stated otherwise.

The Dynamic Range, 120.1 dB.

1721577342499.png

THD vs level, for 1 kHz test tone:

1721593892080.png

IMD vs level, for SMPTE test tone:

1721594003400.png

A small sign of ESS hump is visible. I said in the comments, based on quick tests, that it wasn't visible with the LPF, but I was wrong.

J-test for the analog output. I've no idea why some people take such results as jitter measurements of the digital outputs...

1721594702762.png

NID multitone:

1721594859378.png

Time for something I would call a noise profile, over the coaxial output. I use both ADC Cosmos and the Scaler plus the LPF, with a termination at 75 ohm just before the LPF. Due to the LPF characteristics I limit the recording sample rate to 96 kHz. As a test signal I use dithered "silence" file.

First result comes from SMSL PO100 Pro, powered by the USB hub:

1721753711171.png

Next one is the WiiM Pro, powered by Sbooster LPS:

1721753762455.png

And the last one is the Ultra, powered by its internal SMPS:

1721753830616.png

Low-level -90.31 dB signals look worse then for the Pro Plus.

Undithered, 16 bit:

1722008690629.png

The same but 24 bit:

1722008741897.png

Even the LPF doesn't let reach the Pro Plus level, although without it results are much worse.

The same signals but for the Pro Plus:

1722008891130.png

1722008926746.png

Intersample peaks are handled well, no LPF this time.

1722010633646.png

Even peaks at +3 dBFS do not result in clipping, there is enough analog headroom to handle it.

The latest firmware promises jitter improvements. And it improved indeed (j-test for the previous FW can be seen somewhere above in this post):

1722272950905.png

A progress is visible also for 1 kHz test tone (graph with the previous FW was shown for the sinad measurement somewhere above):

1722273565853.png

Well done @WiiM Team @WiiM Support .

Let's talk about the jitter over digital outputs. I will use the Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC which is a true NOS DAC and has an unique ability to turn off its PLL. This way I can compare a raw performance of the outputs in j-test.

Toslink:

1722427396645.png

Coax:

1722427452900.png

Toslink is better in case of the Ultra.

And USB which is unfair for the comparison of course, because it's clocked by the DAC:

1722427529026.png

Spring 3 has incredibly low jitter.

All 3 graphs on the same screen:

1722428195077.png

Let's look how the jitter suppression works. A coax output but the PLL is on:

1722427658032.png

The jitter suppression of Spring 3 is extremely good, as far as I know it's one of the best available on the market.

Time for a "torture" test. I will use 192 kHz j-test signal to verify if cables matter. The Holo Audio Spring 3 in action again, PLL is off.

Mogami 2964:

1722592786064.png

Hosa BNC WordClock cable:

1722592844871.png

No serious difference for these coax cables. Time for optical ones.

A random one I used for jitter tests already, but I found out it's labelled as "Bandridge":

1722593074371.png

WiiM cable delivered with the Ultra:

1722593103103.png

Hosa OPM-303:

1722593153867.png

Well, time to change my own opinion, toslink cable matters ;) Pity that my favorite WiiM cable is not of the best quality :(
Of course the final result depends on the DAC and its ability to suppress the jitter.

WiiM cable but PLL is on:

1722593427493.png

And Mogami coax, PLL is on:

1722593563882.png

Results are very close when PLL is turned on.

After few listening sessions I think I could fall in love with the Ultra although these PSU noise spikes irritate me a lot.

Last edited:
It's going to be a long time process, but I will try to add a new content periodically. Everything based on the pre prod device which is PCB ver 2 unit.

Just one thing at the beginning, a comparison of the waveforms over the digital coax output, tested with the oscilloscope and 192 kHz sample rate test signal, and terminated at 75 ohms.

This is for the Ultra:

View attachment 8954

View attachment 8955

Ideal and perfect waveforms would show rectangles. In the real world it should be as close as possible to the ideal one.
it's much better, good now....
just isolated or not?
;-)

A significant difference, I would say. But will it have any effects to audible SQ?
If you have an older dac , maybe . Nice to see that the ultra is better than my pro on high res material

Last edited:
Last edited:
My thoughts : If the WiiM ultra has an output transformer on the spdif out , its probably gonna show better results than WiiM pro/+.
I have a dac with input transformers on all spdif inputs , so might be less of a difference for me.
Im gonna buy the ultra regardless, its nice to see that the spdif coaxial is a really good one.

My thoughts : If the WiiM ultra has an output transformer on the spdif out , its probably gonna show better results than WiiM pro/+.
I have a dac with input transformers on all spdif inputs , so might be less of a difference for me.
Im gonna buy the ultra regardless, its nice to see that the spdif coaxial is a really good one.
on cleanliness...no...
it's even a bit the opposite...the presence of transformer degrades the fronts very slightly...
but the transformers over a good while have become really very efficient...and cheap...
and even support better the high resolutions and the corresponding rise in frequency but passing square signals in MHz remains quite trivial...
(or an old approch more effiency is with optocoupler...., more delicate to implement and fragile)
(on the other hand, transformer, it has never appreciated the direct current problem which seems this cross in pro-plus)

(ps: we must not forget that toslink was the solution mocked for a long time...very general public...modest etc.compared to the old att/st approaches of the 90s etc
rehabilitation is funny
)

Last edited:
on cleanliness...no...
it's even a bit the opposite...the presence of transformer degrades the fronts very slightly...
but the transformers over a good while have become really very efficient...and cheap...
and even support better the high resolutions and the corresponding rise in frequency but passing square signals in MHz remains quite trivial...
(or an old approch more effiency is with optocoupler...., more delicate to implement and fragile)
(on the other hand, transformer, it has never appreciated the direct current problem which seems this cross in pro-plus)

(ps: we must not forget that toslink was the solution mocked for a long time...very general public...modest etc.compared to the old att/st approaches of the 90s etc
rehabilitation is funny
)
And nowadays we have authorities like Rob Watts from Chord saying the best signal transfering is toslink, better than usb to.

I have done comparisons with my Rega dac R, and that unit sounds best with electrical spdif from my WiiM pro.
I guess one always has to try what sounds best

Last edited:

This is for the Ultra:

View attachment 8954

View attachment 8955

I wonder how Alpha audio and Hans Beekhuyzen gonna take this perfect result…. They always try to prove that cheaper units ( like this ultra ) always sounds worse than the latest 10000 dollar streamer they sell .:LOL:

Last edited:
I wonder how Alpha audio and Hans Beekhuyzen gonna take this perfect result…. They always try to prove that cheaper units ( like this ultra ) always sounds worse than the latest 10000 dollar streamer they sell .:LOL:
What perfect result? Maybe you should read the first post again.

What perfect result? Maybe you should read the first post again.
Even though the WiiM Pro's output will cause 0 issues at all, the Ultra's signal is as clean as you'd want it to be.

A significant difference, I would say. But will it have any effects to audible SQ?
It will depend on DACs capabilities for sure when talking about the jitter, but it might improve a connection stability as well in my opinion. I have a real life example - for coax connections to my RME UCX II I use spdif to aes cable usually. With such as linking I couldn't get a stable sync and lock with the receiver at 192 kHz in case of the Pro or the Pro Plus. In case of the Ultra it works perfectly.

that just for cc... not galvanic isolation...
(for those who are interested..and will understand the interest in the measurements of onlyoneme...it is a scop num 200mhz.. ;-) and a “serious scale” )

It attenuates an electric noise, but it's not as effective as the galvanic isolation which is in my spdif-spdif dejitter adapter.
DC...direct current....cc ... courant continu in french ;-)
(would be useful on my plus in any case, if I used it on an external dac ;-)... and then a transformer.. but hardly without this capacitor... probably near 100nf etc)

Last edited:
I guessed what you meant, but I do not know if it's for coupling reasons only, or not.
we were able to observe the strange output side in plus pro moreover...
(and it is often a good idea to place a condo to cut this continues..d as much as if dc, a transformer downstream.vas not like and make it saturate.. )
(perso..if i need use "plus" in coax..i probably use a condo too...I just need to validate its value..at the scop has an important GB, it's not too difficult)

in any case the release of the ultra spdif output seems much more successful ;-)

Last edited:
Back