Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

This forum is not ASR . Here, I want as accurate sound as possible, i.e I will not trust my ears, because sometimes what I can hear is dominated by impressions made by my brain.
Better not to have a brain, ehi? :ROFLMAO:

I give up. some just prefer to believe they know more than everyone else and refuse to listen to others, that is fine. To keep hammering away with the same simple yet biased and unfounded "truth" in again poorly veiled attempts to support their dogma and show disrespect for others even though repeatedly asked to stop such behavior shows it is time to just move on so I will as have much better things to spend my time on.

When I get the time to do my own testing, my way, which is completely valid for what I want to achieve, I might post the results here for those with more open minds.

Good day,
Rick
I'm with you RAAM....this is one of the most anti-audiophile, non-constructive or motivating forums I have ever been on. This is a joke....so I am here for the laughs :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When this forum really is anti "audiophile" (the most ridiculous word creation ever) I promise to stay forever 😂😂😂.

I'm with you RAAM....this is one of the most anti-audiophile, non-constructive or motivating forums I have ever been on. This is a joke....so I am here for the laughs :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
you have to be honest, until your investment is more vehement here it was going quite well..each other didn't feel obliged to stiffen up in the sometimes diverse or even contrary approaches..etc..
it's a shame...
:cool:

Hi Team,

Thank you, everyone, for your active participation and discussions. While spirited debates are a part of our dynamic community, I'd like to gently remind us all about the importance of keeping conversations respectful and constructive. Together, let's continue to uphold our community guidelines and foster a positive and supportive forum atmosphere.

Happy New Year to you all!

Comparing lt1084 with lm317 and with Apple iPad charger from 2012 - what power supply is best when using WiiM pro as a digital bridge ?

IMG_4508.jpeg
Edit : first impression , lt1084 dont get as warm as the lm317 . This was expected because the heatsink and the current ability is larger with the lt1084 board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mat
IMG_4513.jpeg
This experiment opens up to try a second regulator after the lt1084, using a dc-dc converter at 5 V. This will in most cases bring the ripple down to the noise of the dc-dc regulator. This will be done in a couple of days.
Longtherm listening now, one day with lm317, the other with lt1084, third with Apple charger.

Last edited:
I can‘t speak to the issue of audiophile grade distinctions but I know for a fact that my WiiM Pro would not properly decode some high resolution tracks until I swapped out the OEM (junk) USB power supply and used a more robust one. Works now. So this is certainly an area worth experimentation.

I can‘t speak to the issue of audiophile grade distinctions but I know for a fact that my WiiM Pro would not properly decode some high resolution tracks until I swapped out the OEM (junk) USB power supply and used a more robust one. Works now. So this is certainly an area worth experimentation.

"WiiM Pro would not properly decode some high resolution tracks"

Can you give me a little more specific symptoms about this?
For example, have you encountered problems such as noise or interruptions?

Thank you. 😊

Listening tests finnished. I cant hear any difference between the lm317 and lt1084 card when using WiiM pro as a digital bridge.
They sound exactly the same - and slightly, tiny bit better than the iPad charger. The lt1084 dont get as warm as the lm317 so its gonna be the choice.

One surprise for me is using the analog output from the WiiM pro directly to my power amp using the lt1084 linear power supply. It sounds much better this way than with the stock supply. Not as good as using the Rega dac, but it comes closer .

Using the WiiM pro:s inbuilt dac has the convenience and the ability to lower the maximum voltage output from the RCA outputs, down to 500 mV.

According to Vintageflankers measurements using this function, the distortion goes down in an unusual way using the 500 mV option in the WiiM app. This way it fits the gain of my Hypex ncore much better than 2V.

————-

Vintageflanker writes:
Line Out Level
The WiiM Pro also comes with four selectable (fixed) output levels. While I did not test precisely the behaviour of digital attenuation at different level in the analog domain, (but I did catch THD+N at different digital volume below), I measured each of the output settings and expected a logical drop in performance. Yet, for some reason, the opposite happened:
2Vrms : -88.8dB THD+N
1Vrms : -92.8dB THD+N
800mV : -93.1dB THD+N
500mV : -93.2dB THD+N

Read more here :

Vintageflanker : Im wondering if the Intermodulation distortion also goes down using the 500 mV output from the WiiM pro ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mat
Listening tests finnished. I cant hear any difference between the lm317 and lt1084 card when using WiiM pro as a digital bridge.
They sound exactly the same - and slightly, tiny bit better than the iPad charger

as someone currently using an Apple charger and thinking of trying out a small LPS for digital, thanks for this experiment!

I had to do this … to be sure If there is further improvements using another lm317 DC-DC converter after the lt1084 card. The ripple should be attenuated further 70 dB and the noise left is the noise from the lm317 regulator.
So, 7.8 V DC out from from the lt1084 card and 5.0 V from the buck converter feeding the wiim.

IMG_4525.jpegIMG_4526.jpeg

Last edited:
Listening results finnished.
No differences compared with the single lt1084 power supply card, using WiiM pro as a digital bridge.

Yesteday I got my Audiophonics LPSU25 5V USB power supply.

Solid build quality, no "strange sounds" or hum, does not get hot or even too warm.

At present I use the analog-out of the WIIM Pro Plus - and using the Audiophonics LPSU25 5V USB "opens up" the sound overall.

In France it sells for around 75,-- Euro + postage.

Recommend.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

AudiophonicsLPSU25 5V innen 2.jpg

Solid build quality, no "strange sounds" or hum, does not get hot or even too warm.

At present I use the analog-out of the WIIM Pro Plus - and using the Audiophonics LPSU25 5V USB "opens up" the sound overall.

Recommend.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander
Nice, I have the same LPSU but using the digital out of the Wiim Pro. Even in this set-up it does improve the sound quality. I have also experimented with different power cables feeding the LPSU, but if there are differences I can't really hear them. As always YMMV.

Recommend.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

View attachment 4763
Hi, are you using it only to power Wiim Pro Plus. am i right? as i see it has 2 usb ports, do you know if it is able to power simultaneously 2 device like Wiim Pro and a Dac (5V 1A input)? thank you!

@ homeduck:
I do use only one USB connection for the WIIM Pro Plus.
I am not sure about the possibility to use the two USB-out at once/in parallel mode.
As there is no user manual, I cannot look it up - but I suppose that as long as the max. of 2A is respected, it should be possible to connect two devices in parallel mode.
You might just drop a line at www.audiophonics.fr - they speak French and English.

@Rudivanb:
Thank you for sharing your experience you made with this LPSU.
At present I use a standard power cord, but I might look out for a shorter one, as 1.25 m is too long.
0.75 m would be enough, and for that I usually buy a DIY-power cord, this one I use for several small devices:

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

@ homeduck:
I do use only one USB connection for the WIIM Pro Plus.
I am not sure about the possibility to use the two USB-out at once/in parallel mode.
As there is no user manual, I cannot look it up - but I suppose that as long as the max. of 2A is respected, it should be possible to connect two devices in parallel mode.
You might just drop a line at www.audiophonics.fr - they speak French and English.

@Rudivanb:
Thank you for sharing your experience you made with this LPSU.
At present I use a standard power cord, but I might look out for a shorter one, as 1.25 m is too long.
0.75 m would be enough, and for that I usually buy a DIY-power cord, this one I use for several small devices:

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander
I have tried that Supra cable on my DAC / Headphone amp, it gave a darker sound with less details, therefore I am not a fan of this cable. If you like I can sent you 1 m. without plugs.

Back