Updated Products Roadmap

The most burning issue for me would be the half second or more delay and sometimes ugly audio stutter when transmitting video from my ShieldTV via Bluetooth. I have to restart the stream several times to get a few minutes of enjoyable watch time.

Sadly this isn't mentioned at all. It may be, that WiiM would need to license AptX or similar, driving the price of the device higher.

The most burning issue for me would be the half second or more delay and sometimes ugly audio stutter when transmitting video from my ShieldTV via Bluetooth. I have to restart the stream several times to get a few minutes of enjoyable watch time.

Sadly this isn't mentioned at all. It may be, that WiiM would need to license AptX or similar, driving the price of the device higher.
Can't you use the TV's optical output?

No. It's in another corner of the room.
If your TV does not support APT-X, there is no point in having it on the WiiM...

If you really don't want an optical connection, you could add a WiiM mini for the TV and use MRM to output from speakers at a remote location. 🙂

driving the price of the device higher.
If you can tolerate that, you could connect the APT-X LL transmitter to the TV's optical output and the receiver to the WiiM's optical input.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that a low latency codec will be added to existing WiiM devices.

how do you get around the latency issues when watching videos though??
I pause, then I FFWD/REW erratically, and then it's okay for a few minutes. If the sync is half a second off I can live with that (most of the time it's this). But if it gets worse I may have to stop the video and resume.

If your TV does not support APT-X, there is no point in having it on the WiiM...
It's not a TV. It's a computer monitor connected via HDMI to an Nvidia ShieldTV, that is connected via Bluetooth to the WiiM. The ShieldTV is the small version which can connect to an external audio device only via Bluetooth. The ShieldTV supports these:
  • SBC
  • AAC
  • aptX
  • aptX-HD
  • LDAC
It just came to my mind, that I could try to cast the audio... Going to test it right now! Aaaah, darn! It's the app, that lets you cast, there is no global casting option. And the streaming service, I'm using (WOW), doesn't have that.

Last edited:
It's not a TV. It's a computer monitor connected via HDMI to an Nvidia ShieldTV, that is connected via Bluetooth to the WiiM. The ShieldTV is the small version which can connect to an external audio device only via Bluetooth. The ShieldTV supports these:
  • SBC
  • AAC
  • aptX
  • aptX-HD
  • LDAC
It just came to my mind, that I could try to cast the audio... Going to test it right now! Aaaah, darn! It's the app, that lets you cast, there is no global casting option. And the streaming service, I'm using (WOW), doesn't have that.

Is the cast like the Chromecast built into ShieldTV? If so, there may be more latency than Bluetooth.

I don't know ShieldTV, but the catalog says it is "Work with Alexa"; could ShieldTV and WiiM be linked to an Alexa multi-room group and playback on MRM?

I don't know ShieldTV, but the catalog says it is "Work with Alexa"; could ShieldTV and WiiM be linked to an Alexa multi-room group and playback on MRM?
I’d doubt that very much. “Works with Alexa” could be as basic as there being a skill to make requests to the Shield Tv, and WiiM are in a pretty exclusive club in terms of being able to be used like an echo in an Alexa MRM group.

I’d doubt that very much. “Works with Alexa” could be as basic as there being a skill to make requests to the Shield Tv, and WiiM are in a pretty exclusive club in terms of being able to be used like an echo in an Alexa MRM group.
Indeed, you may be right. 😅

Btw, if I group FireTV and WiiM together, is music (Amazon music ) the only thing that can be played on WiiM?

Indeed, you may be right. 😅

Btw, if I group FireTV and WiiM together, is music (Amazon music ) the only thing that can be played on WiiM?
I’d imagine you’d be able to play Spotify and Tunein from Alexa as well, and at a push Deezer, but not Apple Music.

• SBC
  • AAC
  • aptX
  • aptX-HD
  • LDAC
If that much latency isn't an issue then you could use SWYH - https://github.com/dheijl/swyh-rs. This casts the audio on your PC to the WiiM via DLNA.

Some monitors also have headphone jacks. So you could also try a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and then connect to the line in on the WiiM. But I suppose you already said you don't want a wired connection... 🤔

Another option is an Apt-X HD receiver and connect that to line in on WiiM (since the shield supports the codec no need for Tx+Rx)

I guess I will get a separate Bluetooth receiver with an optical out. These are pretty expensive, around 50€, the cheaper ones have analogue out only. May also go with that, to save some money. Sadly the ShieldTV does not support AptX LL, only normal and HD.

I guess I will get a separate Bluetooth receiver with an optical out. These are pretty expensive, around 50€, the cheaper ones have analogue out only. May also go with that, to save some money. Sadly the ShieldTV does not support AptX LL, only normal and HD.
there isn't much difference in actual latency performance between the different aptX versions despite the naming convention in practice... in fact, since HD came out after LL, i bet you it's a tad bit faster... aptX lossless is the best of all worlds since it's variable bitrate depending on the implementation and lowest latency et...

1718062710302.png

(from wikipedia)

it's a big difference in practice between aptX and other codecs though.

btw, why not just get a good aptX > 3.5mm adapter and then connect to WiiM with a 3.5mm > RCA stereo cable. unless you wanna avoid unnecessary D>A>D conversions. prob would be cheaper. unfortunately aptX devices tend to be expensive cos they gotta pay Qualcomm the license fees...

Back