Which amp to match the Ultra?

Audioqueso

Since the Ultra will be a pre-pro, I'm curious to know what amp will everyone be matching the Wiim with.

I've been looking for somethings similar in size to the Ultra with at least 80w per channel (stereo).

I have ordered the "same" although from Audiophonics:

Should arrive tomorrow. Bigger chassis though, but not by much. I think i looks more like the Ultra design wise. But thats just me.

Speakers are ATC SCM 7mk3 and XTZ 12.17 Edge subwoofers.

I decided to go "cheap" and support the Fosi V3 Mono with ~220 EUR on Kickstarter. Hopefully, this gets me a pair of mono amps and two PSUs (48V, 5A) as a reward (or nothing if they go out of business or fail otherwise).

In the latter case I'd have to stick with one of my two Quad 306 or one of my two Quad 606 power amps. 🤪

Curious which device will be with me first. :)

Your budget is the key. And of course, what speakers you have matters too.There are just so many choices and most are good enough for an ordinary use. You can also go for a set of active speakers.

I decided to go "cheap" and support the Fosi V3 Mono with ~220 EUR on Kickstarter. Hopefully, this gets me a pair of mono amps and two PSUs (48V, 5A) as a reward (or nothing if they go out of business or fail otherwise).

In the latter case I'd have to stick with one of my two Quad 306 or one of my two Quad 606 power amps. 🤪

I might have done the same if I had learned about it a few weeks earlier:) That said I am very happy with my Apollon NCx500 for around 1100 EUR and I have plenty of power if I chose to upgrade for some less sensitive speakers in the future (some nice boutique ones around have pretty low sensitivity)

That's also my plan. But first i'm going to try out a Fosi Audio ZA3 with a Wiim Mini. See how that compares to my NAD C700 amplifier. If it doesn't make much of a difference in pure sound quality (to my ears), i think I'll go for the Wiim Ultra + 2x Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers. I'm definitely not unhappy with my current setup (NAD C700 + Jamo S808 subwoofer + Dali Ikon 1 mk1 speakers). Actually, it's the best for me in terms of price in this class (for what i've heard/tested up until now) and that I can afford. I'm just curious if it can be done for a lot less money. That's the challenge for me :)

That's also my plan. But first i'm going to try out a Fosi Audio ZA3 with a Wiim Mini. See how that compares to my NAD C700 amplifier.
Honestly, I doubt that this setup will better your WiiM Amp. Since you've been dissatisfied with that I would rather save the money and skip this step and wait for the WiiM Ultra plus e.g. the V3 monos. If money isn't and object and your just researching for the fun of it, go ahead.

Even with the Ultra keep in mind that it's just a $329 device ...

Honestly, I doubt that this setup will better your WiiM Amp. Since you've been dissatisfied with that I would rather save the money and skip this step and wait for the WiiM Ultra plus e.g. the V3 monos. If money isn't and object and your just researching for the fun of it, go ahead.

Even with the Ultra keep in mind that it's just a $329 device ...
Who says i have a Wiim Amp? Reason why i take this step is to find out what the fosi za3 amp sounds like, since the V3 mono block is a sort of improved ZA3 they should have a similar soundsignature. I chose a Wiim Mini as a streamer because its the cheapest but still quality streamer to partner it with the Fosi Audio amplifier. If i like how this combination sounds and it's good enough for me then i will return them and wait for the Wiim Ultra and partner it with 2 Fosi Audio V3 mono amps.

Who says i have a Wiim Amp?
Your evil twin over on ASR does.

Reason why i take this step is to find out what the fosi za3 amp sounds like, since the V3 mono block is a sort of improved ZA3 they should have a similar soundsignature.
Since the WiiM Amp and the ZA3 share the same power amp chip they should have a similar sound signature.

I chose a Wiim Mini as a streamer because its the cheapest but still quality streamer to partner it with the Fosi Audio amplifier.
It's not quite just a streamer in this setup. It's a streamer plus a DAC. A DAC (TI Burr-Brown PCM5121), which is inferior to e.g. the one used in the WiiM Amp (ESS ES9018K2M), not talking about the Pro Plus (AKM 4493SEQ).

If i like how this combination sounds and it's good enough for me then i will return them and wait for the Wiim Ultra and partner it with 2 Fosi Audio V3 mono amps.
Chances are, the WiiM Ultra will be better than a WiiM Mini (as a streamer and a DAC) and V3 mono will be better then the ZA3. However, it's a bit unlikely the Mini plus ZA3 will challenge a C700. Don't know about the Powernode Edge, which many people believe to sound no better than the WiiM Amp.

Your evil twin over on ASR does.

Since the WiiM Amp and the ZA3 share the same power amp chip they should have a similar sound signature.

It's not quite just a streamer in this setup. It's a streamer plus a DAC. A DAC (TI Burr-Brown PCM5121), which is inferior to e.g. the one used in the WiiM Amp (ESS ES9018K2M), not talking about the Pro Plus (AKM 4493SEQ).

Chances are, the WiiM Ultra will be better than a WiiM Mini (as a streamer and a DAC) and V3 mono will be better then the ZA3. However, it's a bit unlikely the Mini plus ZA3 will challenge a C700. Don't know about the Powernode Edge, which many people believe to sound no better than the WiiM Amp.
Haha i do have a evil twin lol. It's true i had a Wiim Amp just very recently and i didn't like the sound as much i hoped/expected (you read the story on ASR). I already send it back. Otherwise i had no complaints setting it up and it does have many settings (EQ etc.).

Ok, Wiim Mini is not just a streamer in this setup but will it really change the sound that much (for the worse) if its internal DAC is really inferior?
I assume i will still also hear much of the soundcharacteristics of the Fosi Audio ZA3 amplifier as well despite the fact that the internal DAC of the Wiim Mini is not the best?

Haha i do have a evil twin lol. It's true i had a Wiim Amp just very recently and i didn't like the sound as much i hoped/expected (you read the story on ASR). I already send it back. Otherwise i had no complaints setting it up and it does have many settings (EQ etc.).

Ok, Wiim Mini is not just a streamer in this setup but will it really change the sound that much (for the worse) if its internal DAC is really inferior?
I assume i will still also hear much of the soundcharacteristics of the Fosi Audio ZA3 amplifier as well despite the fact that the internal DAC of the Wiim Mini is not the best?
You're set to try it out, I guess.

And I surely won't stop you. :)

You're set to try it out, I guess.

And I surely won't stop you. :)
Yeah i'm set to try it out. Maybe i will be pleasantly surprised (i hope). Concerning a (good) pre amp/streamer with HDMI (e)Arc and nice display i can't find alternative (and affordable) options for the upcoming Wiim Ultra.

You literally can go with whatever amp you want. I use a pair of Linn LK100s in my current setup which I plan on keeping.

Last edited:
Thx for the replies on alternative options but i was talking about pre amp/streamer with HDMI (e)Arc and screen/display (for an affordable price).
As an (power)amp i'm probably gonna pair the Wiim Ultra with the Fosi Audio V3 mono block amps if i decide to choose the Wiim Ultra.

I’ll be using an Emotiva BasX-A2. I bought locally pretty much brand new for $150 usd.

The only real answer to the OP is any amp you want, that’ll serve your purposes.

Far, far more important to ensure the amp you buy is capable of driving your speakers, rather than any idea of matching the amp to the Ultra.

Back