Which amp to match the Ultra?

Well i have added the SMSL SU-1 dac to the Wiim Mini and Fosi Audio ZA3 and wow! what a difference it made for me. Now it finally sounds more to my liking. To my idea the soundquality now comes close to my NAD C700. Maybe the NAD C700 stills sounds a tiny bit smoother/warmer but it sounds hi-end enough. Guess the external dac was the missing link for me. I think the Bluesound Node will arrive coming tuesday/wednesday but now i am not really that curious anymore to try it out because i am already satisfied with the result of the combination i have now.

Plan is to keep the SMSL SU-1 and to return the Wiim Mini and Fosi Audio. Then getting 2 Fosi Audio V3 mono amps and a Wiim Ultra as soon as it comes out in The Netherlands.

What amplifier did you use with the Wiim and SMSL SU-1?
Glad that the external DAC brought such a substantial sound quality change to your system. Also glad to see that my recommendation for the SU-1 has worked 😊. That was my experience as well.

I've used my Mini/SU-1 combination with two amps: SMSL A-36Pro (a small class D amp) and a DENON DRA-F102 (an old mini-size class AB receiver). I was driving Monitor Audio Bronze 4 speakers with those amps and was really surprised how good those combinations sounded.

Regarding the return of the Mini and getting the Ultra instead: from what I've read, there's a nice ESS dac inside the Ultra, so do you really think you will still need the SU-1 with it?

Cheers
Vlada

Glad that the external DAC brought such a substantial sound quality change to your system. Also glad to see that my recommendation for the SU-1 has worked 😊. That was my experience as well.

I've used my Mini/SU-1 combination with two amps: SMSL A-36Pro (a small class D amp) and a DENON DRA-F102 (an old mini-size class AB receiver). I was driving Monitor Audio Bronze 4 speakers with those amps and was really surprised how good those combinations sounded.

Regarding the return of the Mini and getting the Ultra instead: from what I've read, there's a nice ESS dac inside the Ultra, so do you really think you will still need the SU-1 with it?

Cheers
Vlada
Yes it brought a substantial sound quality change to my system.
Regarding the Ultra and the use of the SU-1 with it, i don't know how well the Ultra will be in my system. I will not expect too much of (the dac inside) the Ultra like i did with the Wiim Amp and/or the Wiim Mini. I'm gonna keep the SU-1 anyway and keep it ready in case i'm not satisfied with the sound of the Ultra in my system. The SU-1 is the best budget audio investment i made ever :)

Only thing i might try later on is rolling op amps on the Fosi Audio V3 mono amps to improve the sound (hoping to add a tad bit warmth and improved soundstage etc.) but i would already be happy if the Ultra and V3 mono will sound at least as good as my current setup Wiim Mini, SMSL SU-1 and Fosi Audio ZA3.

Last edited:
Yes it brought a substantial sound quality change to my system.
Regarding the Ultra and the use of the SU-1 with it, i don't know how well the Ultra will be in my system. I will not expect too much of (the dac inside) the Ultra like i did with the Wiim Amp and/or the Wiim Mini. I'm gonna keep the SU-1 anyway and keep it ready in case i'm not satisfied with the sound of the Ultra in my system. The SU-1 is the best budget audio investment i made ever :)

Only thing i might try later on is rolling op amps on the Fosi Audio V3 mono amps to improve the sound (hoping to add a tad bit warmth and improved soundstage etc.) but i would already be happy if the Ultra and V3 mono will sound at least as good as my current setup Wiim Mini, SMSL SU-1 and Fosi
I am really glad to hear you've got a better sound with your budget gear.
Please let us know of your impressions of V3 Monos when you get them in. I am really interested in them in a combination with a ProPlus or a Ultra.
Cheers

Please let us know of your impressions of V3 Monos when you get them in. I am really interested in them in a combination with a ProPlus or a Ultra.
Cheers
Will do but it will be a long wait because the Ultra will be available (in the Netherlands) somewhere august i think? You also can get the V3 Monos only though the Kickstarter project and i don't know how that works (i have no experience with that).

Will do but it will be a long wait because the Ultra will be available (in the Netherlands) somewhere august i think? You also can get the V3 Monos only though the Kickstarter project and i don't know how that works (i have no experience with that).
I don't understand it either.
I think I've read somewhere that Fosi will begin selling V3 Monos through "normal" channels as well, sometime during the summer.
Otherwise, I don't really know how would I get them...

2 x A07 max for dual mono mode
Doing the same here. Looking at fitting 2*A07 Max (muses02 opamps for warmer sound) into a single chassis with VU meters for cool looks :). 2*48V 5A power supplies should give 120w*2-ish into 8ohms (aiyima seem to stretch truth with spec of the amp). Thinking solid state relays to have12v trigger function. Should be a fun project to time with Ultra availability in July.

Last edited:
Cheers
Now I'm not sure if I should go for the V3 Monos or stick with the ZA3 and order one more to set them up in mono. I've read that the V3 Monos can get very hot, and I already know how the ZA3 sounds. The ZA3 doesn't have an auto mode and I don't need the volume knob. I'm also unsure if the V3 mono is significantly better in terms of sound, otherwise I might as well go for 2x ZA3 in mono setup.

Now I'm not sure if I should go for the V3 Monos or stick with the ZA3 and order one more to set them up in mono. I've read that the V3 Monos can get very hot, and I already know how the ZA3 sounds. The ZA3 doesn't have an auto mode and I don't need the volume knob. I'm also unsure if the V3 mono is significantly better in terms of sound, otherwise I might as well go for 2x ZA3 in mono setup.
Well, wouldn't I like to have such a dilemma 😊😊😊

If you have time, take a look at this:

Don't know if you believe YTubers, but I know this guy personally and I do know he's trustworthy. Maybe this video could help you decide.

Cheers

Don't know if you believe YTubers, but I know this guy personally and I do know he's trustworthy. Maybe this video could help you decide.

Cheers
I will check it out :)

Currently waiting for my two Fosi Mono blocks, from the Kickstarter. Looks like they will arrive before the Wiim Ultra. Hooking it all up to a pair of Dali Oberon 5's (and possibly a Argon S850 sub).

Cheers
Just love his reasoning for why two is always better than one 🤣

If it's okay to link to a fred at another forum, here's one comparing all stats from several amps likely to be competing for your attention:

I would say the PA5 II looks like the best-measuring amp in a number of areas, given the price, but the Fosi monos have maybe twice the power. However, I suspect many won't need more power than the PA5 II. If they do, the PA5 II Plus may suffice - likely to be an extra 20 watts per channel.

As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Nice to know there's a variety of options out there.

I'll probably pair it directly with my current poweramp: Rotel RB-06 since it seems to play nicely with the WiiM Pro's 12V trigger output.

So the WiiM Ultra will act as a (digital) preamp. I'm hoping the volume control will allow me to make fine adjustments. Probably I'll be able to set the maximum output voltage in the settings, just like on my WiiM Pro.

This should allow me to get rid of quite a few components: WiiM Pro (obviously), Rotel RC-06 preamp, external DAC (SMSL SU-6).
* If Plex support is ultimately added, I can also sell my Raspberry Pi and the automatic toslink switcher currently used to handle switching between digital audio from my tv, cd player WiiM Pro and RBPi... seriously streamlining my setup :cool:

Last edited:

Cheers
I see the V3 mono doesn't have a sub out. I know that the Wiim Ultra has one but i'm not sure if it will handle my subwoofer well. Didn't have a great experience with that on the Wiim Amp. At the moment i'm leaning more on the ZA3 (and then 2 of them in dual mono mode) because it has a subwoofer output and it handles my subwoofer well. If the Wiim Ultra also will handle my subwoofer well then i have the option to choose (sub on the Wiim or the ZA3).

Still kind of a dilemma for me haha :)

I see the V3 mono doesn't have a sub out. I know that the Wiim Ultra has one but i'm not sure if it will handle my subwoofer well. Didn't have a great experience with that on the Wiim Amp. At the moment i'm leaning more on the ZA3 (and then 2 of them in dual mono mode) because it has a subwoofer output and it handles my subwoofer well. If the Wiim Ultra also will handle my subwoofer well then i have the option to choose (sub on the Wiim or the ZA3).

Still kind of a dilemma for me haha :)
In what sense it didn't handle the subwoofer well? I'd definitely recommend using the WiiM's built-in subwoofer output because you can manage the cutoff point digitally. Then run this sub output into a separate (mono) amp or directly into an active subwoofer & you should be good to go!

I don't see how the ZA3 allows you to do this... Generally speaking: I wouldn't exclude any amp because the lack of a sub output because managing subwoofer output from the WiiM itself would be the way to go :)

In what sense it didn't handle the subwoofer well? I'd definitely recommend using the WiiM's built-in subwoofer output because you can manage the cutoff point digitally. Then run this sub output into a separate (mono) amp or directly into an active subwoofer & you should be good to go!

I don't see how the ZA3 allows you to do this... Generally speaking: I wouldn't exclude any amp because the lack of a sub output because managing subwoofer output from the WiiM itself would be the way to go :)
Don't know how to explain but it sounded like something was wrong (with the output). When i connected the subwoofer with the ZA3 it sounded good straight away. I know you can't manage the sub with the ZA3 (but on the sub itself i can manage it myself). But i understand what you are saying, i'm just affraid that if i hook up my subwoofer to the Wiim Ultra the sound/output will be the same as what i've experienced with the Wiim Mini. It just wasn't right somehow. Better to have 2 options (subwoofer wise) then 1 (that may not be working out right for me).

I see.. I'd try buying both the WiiM Ultra & amps from a source where you can easily return one or the other.
Heck maybe even buy the V3 mono as well and try to compare both :)

Back