Which amp to match the Ultra?

I would be matching it to a DAC, if it is good enough it'll replace the Argon Solo, which is experiencing too many drop outs. Then to the Aune X8 XVIIIth DAC (same dac chip as the Ultra but tuned with FPGA and a Sparkoss ss3602 opamp in the output stage) then To the Aune S17 pro I use as a pre-amp into the power amp section of the vintage Sansui AU-317 amplifier.
Do you like the Argon Solo? I had one but unfortunately i did not like it. Supposed to sound just as good or maybe better then a Bluesound Powernode (Edge) according to a salesman from Hifi Klubben. I had all of them but the Argon Solo was nowhere close.

That won't help much when noise is fed into it by the transport.

Based on the Pro Plus, the amount of noise fed into an amp from an Ultra will be negligible, and probably below human audibility. THD+Noise of 114 dB. Dynamic range of over 117 dB.

You’d have to have your amp turned up to a level beyond ear-bleeding before you could hear noise.

I’m presuming the Ultra will be at least as good, if not better. Time will tell.

Based on the Pro Plus, the amount of noise fed into an amp from an Ultra will be negligible, and probably below human audibility. THD+Noise of 114 dB. Dynamic range of over 117 dB.

You’d have to have your amp turned up to a level beyond ear-bleeding before you could hear noise.

I’m presuming the Ultra will be at least as good, if not better. Time will tell.
We were talking about the Argon Solo, not the Ultra, but inaudible frequencies can have a harmonic effect on the audible ones. That is not visible in measurements . There is a reason why so much attention is paid to power supplies in high end audio

I’m not talking about your ears or anyone else’s.

If you hear a piece of music, and there’s no sibilance, then you hear it on something else and there is, and you can hear the difference, then that can be measured, no question.
Sure, that is why asr says a power supply will make no difference in the Argon Solo .... Anyway, when I were to get the Ultra I will make sure to replace the stock power cord with big and heavy fancy one.

Since the Ultra will be a pre-pro, I'm curious to know what amp will everyone be matching the Wiim with.

I've been looking for somethings similar in size to the Ultra with at least 80w per channel (stereo).

If I get an Ultra, it would be a preamp for my Buckeye NC252MP power amp and replace a JDS Atom 2 stack DAC/headphone amp acting as my preamp. I already use my PC as a source, so the streaming features of the Ultra are less interesting than having a preamp with actual bass management features. Waiting to see how that part of the Ultra gets reviewed because my sub also has a crossover feature built in with high pass filter to the amp.

If I get an Ultra, it would be a preamp for my Buckeye NC252MP power amp and replace a JDS Atom 2 stack DAC/headphone amp acting as my preamp. I already use my PC as a source, so the streaming features of the Ultra are less interesting than having a preamp with actual bass management features. Waiting to see how that part of the Ultra gets reviewed because my sub also has a crossover feature built in with high pass filter to the amp.
Just note that as it currently stands, you won't be able to access the Ultra's built-in DAC over USB.

You'll have to send digital audio from your PC over coax or toslink.

The USB interface only works as a host port: for external HDDs or external DAC's.

Just note that as it currently stands, you won't be able to access the Ultra's built-in DAC over USB.

You'll have to send digital audio from your PC over coax or toslink.

The USB interface only works as a host port: for external HDDs or external DAC's.
Yep, figured that out and have been looking at USB-to-optical cords since my PC doesn't have optical.

I also have an Android phone so won't be able to use the room correction mic feature and I haven't seen any confirmation that it'll work with an external mic. The value prop is dropping, but it's still cheaper than a MiniDSP Flex, which is probably the closest competitor.

Back