Which amp to match the Ultra?

I have 2 V3 Mono's and they do sound great - I think they would make a great match for the Ultra
How fast did you get them after you pledged and how does the process work? I understand you will also receive some form to fill after the pledge before they will start to send the V3 mono's. Do you happen to know if they sound better then the ZA3?

Anybody combined Wiim streamers with Shiit REKKR or GJALLARHORN? I've never considered them due to their (very) low power, but yesterday I chatted about the Wiim Ultra with an employee from a Hifi store, and he said he's going to pair the Ultra with one of these 2 amplifiers for a demo in the store. He's already using them in the store and even at home with fairly large speakers. I can't however imagine it sounding good and being reasonably loud, but he was so convinced that I became somewhat curious about these small amplifiers. I could believe that they sound nice (although I have never heard Schiit audio equipment).

Last edited:
I've read several reviews of the Gjallarhorn which report that it seemingly performs way better than its apparantly puny power output would suggest.

Valve lovers have no problem with 10W x 10W power outputs. To quote an old cliche, "It's not what you have, it's what you do with it".

Last edited:
I've read several reviews of the Gjallarhorn which report that it seemingly performs way better than its apparantly puny power output would suggest.

Valve lovers have no problem with 10W x 10W power outputs. To quote an old cliche, "It's not what you have, it's what you do with it".
I have also read such reports but will it also sound "powerful/immersvive" enough and come close to amps like Fosi Audio ZA3 or Bluesound Powernode (Edge) for example or will it be a complete different ballgame and not comparable?

I have also read such reports but will it also sound "powerful/immersvive" enough and come close to amps like Fosi Audio ZA3 or Bluesound Powernode (Edge) for example or will it be a complete different ballgame and not comparable?
If you're setting up a nearfield/desktop environment and/or your passive speakers are very efficient, either of those amps might work very, very well. They're well-loved by lots of consumers who use them in appropriate situations. If I were running Klipsch-efficient desktop speakers, an Ultra paired with a Rekkr would be a pretty awesome match IMHO. As to whether they or some Class D amp will sound better on your system to your ears, only you can decide.

I have a Gjallarhorn in a second system powering a pair of Spendor 4/5 speakers in an 11' X 12' room with a vaulted ceiling. The Spendors are only 84 dB sensitive and I have no problem reaching my desired listening level with ease -- that's around 85 dB max tops. The amp sounds great and I like it better than the 35/watt/ch tube amp I hard prior to the Gjallarhorn.

I think many people would be surprised at the volume they could achieve with this amp, especially with speakers more efficient than the ones I'm using. Of course, the exceptions are those with large rooms, want headbanger volume, or focus on bass intensive music without a separate powered subwoofer. However, I'm a big fan of Schiit DACs, preamps and amps and think they are great sounding, especially for the cost of an American-made product.

Hi all,

New here. Eagerly awaiting the Ultra too.

Currently running an SVS Soundbase Pro streamer/amp on 2 Polk R700 speakers.

Awaiting the arrival of 2 Fosi V3 Mono's (Kickstarter backer) and hope to get the Ultra asap :)

I abandoned the idea of going for the Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers and pairing them with the Wiim Ultra. At the moment I can say that I like the NAD sound more. My idea is to go for this setup: NAD C355bee (class a/b amplifier), Wiim Ultra and possibly an external DAC. My speakers are the Dali Ikon 1 mk1. I bought the NAD C355bee yesterday cheaply second-hand.

I still have a Wiim Mini and SMSL SU-1 DAC lying around that I will return before the 14 days return period. I initially tested the NAD C355bee with the Wiim Mini. That sounded pretty good. Then I also added the SMSL SU-1 DAC. In my opinion, it sounded different then, a bit more airy, improved soundstage, bit more detailed and placement of all elements of the sound was a bit better. Only now I think the sound sounds a bit too bright. I like a little more warmth/smoothness.

Could a (different) external DAC give more warmth/smoothness to the sound without sacrificing the clarity and definition of the highs and mids in case I also find the sound of the Wiim Ultra + NAD C355bee too bright?

I abandoned the idea of going for the Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers and pairing them with the Wiim Ultra. At the moment I can say that I like the NAD sound more. My idea is to go for this setup: NAD C355bee (class a/b amplifier), Wiim Ultra and possibly an external DAC. My speakers are the Dali Ikon 1 mk1. I bought the NAD C355bee yesterday cheaply second-hand.

I still have a Wiim Mini and SMSL SU-1 DAC lying around that I will return before the 14 days return period. I initially tested the NAD C355bee with the Wiim Mini. That sounded pretty good. Then I also added the SMSL SU-1 DAC. In my opinion, it sounded different then, a bit more airy, improved soundstage, bit more detailed and placement of all elements of the sound was a bit better. Only now I think the sound sounds a bit too bright. I like a little more warmth/smoothness.

Could a (different) external DAC give more warmth/smoothness to the sound without sacrificing the clarity and definition of the highs and mids in case I also find the sound of the Wiim Ultra + NAD C355bee too bright?
May be one easy way is playing around with the tone controls of your NAD?

May be one easy way is playing around with the tone controls of your NAD?
I would rather not use tone control or EQ but i could try to play with it. But i think that will not add that "smoothness" to the sound.

Never had a Dali for my own, but friends who are Dali fans. All what I remember there is praise of the trebble and its integration. May be it is a bit too much for your personal "smooth" taste? I am to lazy reading the whole thread but in what setup did you like your Dali's? Hope you do not understand me wrong, and having in mind that the Mk.1 a speaker older than 10 years, my way would be to think about more "smooth" speakers.

Never had a Dali for my own, but friends who are Dali fans. All what I remember there is praise of the trebble and its integration. May be it is a bit too much for your personal "smooth" taste? I am to lazy reading the whole thread but in what setup did you like your Dali's? Hope you do not understand me wrong, and having in mind that the Mk.1 a speaker older than 10 years, my way would be to think about more "smooth" speakers.
I have had a couple of other speakers (old and new) like KEF LS50 for instance but i did not like them as much as the Dali Ikon series. I like the definition and clarity of it's hybrid tweeter. My Dali's sound good for my taste on a Bluesound PowerNode and NAD C700. The Dali's are oldies but goodies (at least for me) :). Maybe the NAD C355bee is also a little bit brighter then the NAD C700 for instance and perhaps adding the SMSL SU-1 DAC also makes the sound even more bright?

I have had a couple of other speakers (old and new) like KEF LS50 for instance but i did not like them as much as the Dali Ikon series. I like the definition and clarity of it's hybrid tweeter. My Dali's sound good for my taste on a Bluesound PowerNode and NAD C700. The Dali's are oldies but goodies (at least for me) :). Maybe the NAD C355bee is also a little bit brighter then the NAD C700 for instance and perhaps adding the SMSL SU-1 DAC also makes the sound even more bright?
You're free to try. And this try and error is one of my greatest fun bringers in audio. Sadly it can make the hobby a bit more expensive 😉

For me, I discovered clarity with Philharmonic BMRs :)

I have dali oberon 3 paired with topping pa7, very transparent and clear amplifier. It was little bright for me also with some chord c screen speaker cables and regular rca with wiim pro plus. First step, i changed speaker cables with supra ply 3.4, already big improvement, also i bought rca cables from audioquest big sur, again very big improvement, no more harsh sound, no more bright sound, everything sound more big, more resolution, a lot of details. It s so clear my sistem now, when i change now filters from line output i feel differences. Less bright filter and smoother sound it s super slow rol off. My next upgrade will be fresh dali rubikore 2, i love dali' s speakers, coming from kef q350. I made a test in showroom with kef r3 meta. Far away from dali!!! Maybe subjective opinion. In conclusion, cables make also a big difference. All the best!!

Back