Which amp to match the Ultra?

Don't know how to explain but it sounded like something was wrong (with the output). When i connected the subwoofer with the ZA3 it sounded good straight away. I know you can't manage the sub with the ZA3 (but on the sub itself i can manage it myself). But i understand what you are saying, i'm just affraid that if i hook up my subwoofer to the Wiim Ultra the sound/output will be the same as what i've experienced with the Wiim Mini. It just wasn't right somehow. Better to have 2 options (subwoofer wise) then 1 (that may not be working out right for me).

In the many reviews I’ve seen, most of which have been good but the odd one has had the odd question, I’ve never seen the sub out criticised.

Far more chance you were just unlucky and had a dodgy unit, or something in the settings not quite right, than there’s something wrong with WiiM’s subwoofer outputs.

Don't know how to explain but it sounded like something was wrong (with the output). When i connected the subwoofer with the ZA3 it sounded good straight away
As has been mentioned on ASR before, just because something sounds appealing to you "straight away" and without any adjustments simply says nothing about better or worse. There are so many things that can be different and might need to be adjusted differently and that's particularly true for something like a sub out.

Technically, it's far less demanding than a good full range high level output. But there are more variables and if you're not willing to pay attention to them your results will always be random. Different filter slopes, different filter types (high pass for mains, yes or no), different levels, different polarity ... there are technical differences and without adjustment things can go wrong.

That's all technical stuff, no magic, no "music only" effects, that measurement can't cover

Since the Ultra will be a pre-pro, I'm curious to know what amp will everyone be matching the Wiim with.

I've been looking for somethings similar in size to the Ultra with at least 80w per channel (stereo).
Will be using my Willsenton r8. Just finished upgrading the tubes. Can’t wait to get it

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpeg
    IMG_3518.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
I see.. I'd try buying both the WiiM Ultra & amps from a source where you can easily return one or the other.
Heck maybe even buy the V3 mono as well and try to compare both :)
Yeah only "problem" is that you can only "buy" the V3 on kickstarter (with a discount) at the moment and what if there are problems with the V3, where to send it back? Also the Wiim Ultra would be my only "affordable" option for a pre amp with a display and HDMI Arc so I hope it meets my expectations, in terms of sound.

As has been mentioned on ASR before, just because something sounds appealing to you "straight away" and without any adjustments simply says nothing about better or worse. There are so many things that can be different and might need to be adjusted differently and that's particularly true for something like a sub out.

Technically, it's far less demanding than a good full range high level output. But there are more variables and if you're not willing to pay attention to them your results will always be random. Different filter slopes, different filter types (high pass for mains, yes or no), different levels, different polarity ... there are technical differences and without adjustment things can go wrong.

That's all technical stuff, no magic, no "music only" effects, that measurement can't cover
Ofcourse i played with all the settings and tried several things but it just didn't sound right. Overall the Wiim Amp just isn't for me and maybe i had a faulty unit.

Love to combine new and older tech. Just picked up this for a few Euros in perfect condition from a friend. Will try if the Ultra and the Lux can have a reasonable relationship, but I am quite sure it will. Build 1985 with no remote, so the Ultra should do the fine tuning 😉

View attachment 7559View attachment 7560
I have everything running on seventies Sansui Amps and Receivers. Great musicality.

Yeah only "problem" is that you can only "buy" the V3 on kickstarter (with a discount) at the moment and what if there are problems with the V3, where to send it back? Also the Wiim Ultra would be my only "affordable" option for a pre amp with a display and HDMI Arc so I hope it meets my expectations, in terms of sound.
You buy from Fosi direct so you can send it back to them. You can join their community forum or Facebook group for support.

In the many reviews I’ve seen, most of which have been good but the odd one has had the odd question, I’ve never seen the sub out criticised.

Far more chance you were just unlucky and had a dodgy unit, or something in the settings not quite right, than there’s something wrong with WiiM’s subwoofer outputs.
I tried all the settings etc. but it still did not improve. But i wasn't satisfied with the soundquality of the Wiim Amp in general. Maybe i expected too much but i've read so many raving reviews and i've read somewhere on this forum that someone even prefers the Wiim Amp over his NAD M10 which i really can't imagine.

You buy from Fosi direct so you can send it back to them. You can join their community forum or Facebook group for support.
When you pledge on Kickstarter you don't buy from Fosi, because you don't "buy" at all. You're just "hoping" for a "reward". But you have no legal entitlement to it.

It's still a few weeks, probably months until the release of the WiiM Ultra so maybe just wait until the V3 becomes widely available? I've found it available for preorder on a few webstores already.

It's still a few weeks, probably months until the release of the WiiM Ultra so maybe just wait until the V3 becomes widely available? I've found it available for preorder on a few webstores already.

Yeah i could wait but then it will be more expensive :unsure::eek::LOL:

Well i have added the SMSL SU-1 dac to the Wiim Mini and Fosi Audio ZA3 and wow! what a difference it made for me. Now it finally sounds more to my liking. To my idea the soundquality now comes close to my NAD C700. Maybe the NAD C700 stills sounds a tiny bit smoother/warmer but it sounds hi-end enough. Guess the external dac was the missing link for me. I think the Bluesound Node will arrive coming tuesday/wednesday but now i am not really that curious anymore to try it out because i am already satisfied with the result of the combination i have now.

Plan is to keep the SMSL SU-1 and to return the Wiim Mini and Fosi Audio. Then getting 2 Fosi Audio V3 mono amps and a Wiim Ultra as soon as it comes out in The Netherlands.

What amplifier did you use with the Wiim and SMSL SU-1?
I want to share you my experience to. First time i had a topping mx5 amplifier only 2x35 watts and kef q350, used for music and tv connected by optical. But 2 remotes, not so good, so i buyed bluesound powernode n330 wich as i understood sounds same like nad c700, without fancy display. I felt like more power but loosing details, 3d sound, sounded more musical but like in my car, nothing special. Than i said to try smsl ao300 same with hdmi, around 300 euro, instantly much much better sound!!!!! With a lot of details, great mids and bass, 3d sound. Of course, i sold my powernode n330. For streaming i bought wiim pro plus using wiim dac sound a little bit better and have combo all in one for tv and music. But....:)) Like everyone you want more, i saw some reviews about topping pa7/plus like it s one of the best class d amp. And i bought it🙈 It s more clean, smooth sound than smsl, not night and day difference but it s enough to switch. I m very happy with wiim pro plus and pa7 but i lost my hdmi again🙈, that s why i pre ordered wiim ultra with hdmi, trigger and i hooe better dac. Sorry for long response. All the best!!

Currently waiting for my two Fosi Mono blocks, from the Kickstarter. Looks like they will arrive before the Wiim Ultra. Hooking it all up to a pair of Dali Oberon 5's (and possibly a Argon S850 sub).
Curious how that will work out. Hope it will be to your liking.

I want to share you my experience to. First time i had a topping mx5 amplifier only 2x35 watts and kef q350, used for music and tv connected by optical. But 2 remotes, not so good, so i buyed bluesound powernode n330 wich as i understood sounds same like nad c700, without fancy display. I felt like more power but loosing details, 3d sound, sounded more musical but like in my car, nothing special. Than i said to try smsl ao300 same with hdmi, around 300 euro, instantly much much better sound!!!!! With a lot of details, great mids and bass, 3d sound. Of course, i sold my powernode n330. For streaming i bought wiim pro plus using wiim dac sound a little bit better and have combo all in one for tv and music. But....:)) Like everyone you want more, i saw some reviews about topping pa7/plus like it s one of the best class d amp. And i bought it🙈 It s more clean, smooth sound than smsl, not night and day difference but it s enough to switch. I m very happy with wiim pro plus and pa7 but i lost my hdmi again🙈, that s why i pre ordered wiim ultra with hdmi, trigger and i hooe better dac. Sorry for long response. All the best!!
Good to hear that. I have a slightly different experience. I like how the Fosi Audio ZA3 + Wiim Mini + SMSL SU-1 dac sounds but i still think my NAD C700 sounds a little bit smoother and immersive. I don't know the Topping PA7 but is it really such a step up? I know what you are saying concerning HDMI. I also need HDMI Arc (and a display/screen) so that's why i also want a Wiim Ultra. Challenge for me is to build the best sounding system for a low budget which suits my preference/listening enjoyment.

I somehow doubt that the term "match" has been used that literally.

There are many ways a pre-amp might match or not match a power-amp: Simply visually (if just for similar size), regarding the input and output connectors (for not needing adapters or custom cables), output level and amplifier gain (no fixed standards there), output and input impedance (usually not much of an issue nowadays, but as we have seen people will use older equipment) and finally, yes, "sound signature".

It's also fair to just ask others what their plans are for no special reason. Since most everything about the Ultra is still speculation or preliminary information nobody should expect any "right" or "wrong" answer. :)
Check out this one.

EDGE A2-300

Well guys, i have just pledged to 2x Fosi Audio V3 Mono ampflifiers. Don't know how it goes from here but i hope all goes well and i'll receive them soon 🤞

Back