WiiM Amp Firmware v5.0.625032 Update - Aug 2, 2024

THD-N improved by 10db ??

Sooo... does that make the new spec -102 db ?
And... how do the figures stack up against the Marrantz M1 now.

Hello.
This FW introduced droputs in the sound for me when using HDMI ARC from my LG C1 and LG C3. So 2 different tvs have begun to doing this
Have not experinced this with the previous FW
Comes with maybe an intervall of 10-15minutes.
Anyone else experinces this ?
Yes, I have dropouts as well after the update (Samsung TV).

Edit: I just realised that a new firmware is available. Hope the issue is resolved.

Is it just me or this update changed how this amp sounds? It feels like it has lost a little bit of "weight and body" 🤔 something is different...worse in my opinion. Or maybe it's just in my head 😅

Is it just me or this update changed how this amp sounds? It feels like it has lost a little bit of "weight and body" 🤔 something is different...worse in my opinion. Or maybe it's just in my head 😅
This update is pretty dated. :D Firmware 5.0.625359 is the recent one. 😇

Check your EQ settings.

This update is pretty dated. :D Firmware 5.0.625359 is the recent one. 😇

Check your EQ settings.
I am aware that there is a newer version but in the releases notes there is no information about sound improvement while in the v5.0.625032 there is 🤔 That is why I asked in this thread.
My EQ hasn't been changed.

I will do the update either way.

Does anyone know what this means?
"Sound Quality Enhancement: Improved sound quality by adjusting the codec configuration, resulting in up to a 10 dB improvement in THD+N"
In what circumstances does this improve sound quality? Which codecs? Does it affect Squeezelite?

Bitrate Display for Input Sources: The actual bitrate for input sources is now shown in the WiiM Home app.
This is what I see from my TV connected to the optical input on my WiiM Amp.

IMG_0296.jpeg

This information does not change to reflect the bitrate coming in. Does anyone else get a different rate?

This information does not change to reflect the bitrate coming in. Does anyone else get a different rate?
Are you sure the bit rate does change? I thought it's pretty common for TVs to resample everything that comes in to a fixed resolution prior to putting it out through S/PDIF or HDMI ARC.

Are you sure the bit rate does change? I thought it's pretty common for TVs to resample everything that comes in to a fixed resolution prior to putting it out through S/PDIF or HDMI ARC.
I'm not sure, but I have played music from the Amazon Music app, and that suggests that my device supports up to 24 bit / 48 KHz, and I have just tried playing lossy Spotify (Free Version), and the bitrate hasn't changed.

Perhaps the bitrate details are the theoretical maximum for the device.

I have just checked my other inputs, and the unused TV (HDMI) shows 2304 kbps 24-bit/48 KHz, and Line In shows 12288 kbps 24-bit/192 KHz, which is what I have it set at in the Audio Input Settings.

I have just altered this setting to Max 16-bit, 44.1 KHz and as expected, the bitrate display now shows 1411 kbps 16-bit/44.1 KHz so perhaps there is no point in this new feature.

Perhaps this is the theoretical maximum supported bitrate?
I have my Virgin TV360 box connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV optical out connected to the Amp..I have no idea what the PCM format is but I would be surprised if it was actually 24 bit.

I'm not sure, but I have played music from the Amazon Music app, and that suggests that my device supports up to 24 bit / 48 KHz, and I have just tried playing lossy Spotify (Free Version), and the bitrate hasn't changed.

Perhaps the bitrate details are the theoretical maximum for the device.

I have just checked my other inputs, and the unused TV (HDMI) shows 2304 kbps 24-bit/48 KHz, and Line In shows 12288 kbps 24-bit/192 KHz, which is what I have it set at in the Audio Input Settings.
Doesn't that perfectly show that the TV is resampling everything? Even if nothing is currently playing from the TV, it will still establish a digital connection with the WiiM Amp and that's obviously one at 24 bit/48 kHz.

Spotify Free and Premium content feature the same bit depth and sampling frequency, it's just the codec and bitrate that can be different. If the TV goes on to resample this, the resulting data stream is uncompressed PCM 24 bit/48 kHz, even if the original source was lossy. It's like if you burn a red book CD from MP3 files. The WiiM Amp is just detecting that data rate.

Line in is a totally different story. Analogue in, then digitised by the WiiM Amp's ADC, using the settings you picked in the WiiM Home App. In this case the bit depth, sampling frequency and bit rate are under full control of the Amp. This is not the case with the digital signal from the TV.

Does anyone know what this means?
"Sound Quality Enhancement: Improved sound quality by adjusting the codec configuration, resulting in up to a 10 dB improvement in THD+N"
In what circumstances does this improve sound quality? Which codecs? Does it affect Squeezelite?
Would also like a layman's description of what this means.
To my ears, the amp sounds much better lately, but I'll not even attempt to start using audiophile terms to try and describe it 😂

Back