WiiM Amp with Edifier T5 Subwoofer?

Erebus

Please forgive a newb to WiiM for what might be a stupid question, but I've been struggling to ascertain if I can use an Edifier T5 Active Subwoofer with the WiiM amp? I was left confused by this warning in the T5 manual: "CANNOT BE CONNECTED to rear power output terminal of powered amplifier device", hence this request for clarification.

Any assistance and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Please forgive a newb to WiiM for what might be a stupid question, but I've been struggling to ascertain if I can use an Edifier T5 Active Subwoofer with the WiiM amp? Any assistance and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, I don't have a T5, but I believe that active sub will work with the WiiM amp with no problem.

Connect it to the WiiM sub out and one of the T5 input jacks (either left or right).

The basic setting is to set the volume knob on the T5 to 50%, phase to 0, and the low pass filter (LPF) to max. (The volume, phase, and crossover of the sub can be adjusted with the WiiM app.)

Yes, I don't have a T5, but I believe that active sub will work with the WiiM amp with no problem.

Connect it to the WiiM sub out and one of the T5 input jacks (either left or right).

The basic setting is to set the volume knob on the T5 to 50%, phase to 0, and the low pass filter (LPF) to max. (The volume, phase, and crossover of the sub can be adjusted with the WiiM app.)
Thank you so much for the fast reply. The T5 comes with an audio cable with a single connection to the Amp Sub Out, and a double connection to the Subwoofer itself. Are you saying I should only connect one of the input plugs?

With regards to the crossover details, I'm afraid that's a little (or maybe a lot!) over my head. :) I should clarify that all my gear is still yet to be delivered. I have a WiiM and a set of Q Acoustics 3010i speakers on their way, but it's been suggested I may need a sub if I find the bass is no good. So are you saying I need to put those settings on the T5 and then do something else in the app, or is it one or the other?

Thank you so much for the fast reply. The T5 comes with an audio cable with a single connection to the Amp Sub Out, and a double connection to the Subwoofer itself. Are you saying I should only connect one of the input plugs?
In that case, you can connect the left and right plugs to T5. However, the plug connected to the WiiM is a pin plug. If one side of the attached cable has a stereo jack, it cannot be used.

With regards to the crossover details, I'm afraid that's a little (or maybe a lot!) over my head. :) I should clarify that all my gear is still yet to be delivered. I have a WiiM and a set of Q Acoustics 3010i speakers on their way, but it's been suggested I may need a sub if I find the bass is no good. So are you saying I need to put those settings on the T5 and then do something else in the app, or is it one or the other?
First, please try setting up T5 as described above; you only need to set up T5 the first time and do not need to move it thereafter. All adjustments can be made in the WiiM app.

I suggest that you ask again here about the crossover settings.😄

In that case, you can connect the left and right plugs to T5. However, the plug connected to the WiiM is a pin plug. If one side of the attached cable has a stereo jack, it cannot be used.

First, please try setting up T5 as described above; you only need to set up T5 the first time and do not need to move it thereafter. All adjustments can be made in the WiiM app.

I suggest that you ask again here about the crossover settings.😄
Thank you. I'm very confused about the T5 now. I will see if I can attach an image of the suggested cable from the manual, which states that the single end goes to the sub out socket and the double end to the T5. I apologise for having no understanding about this. I am in my 7th decade of life and some of these things just don't gel with me initially.

I will do as you suggested and come back once I have the WiiM and speakers. Hopefully I won't need a sub.

The T5 comes with an audio cable with a single connection to the Amp Sub Out, and a double connection to the Subwoofer itself. Are you saying I should only connect one of the input plugs?
It doesn't really matter much. The sub came with this cable and there is nothing wrong with connecting both plugs. The sub out signal is mono, anyway. Why are there even left and right inputs on a mono subwoofer? It makes a difference only for amplifiers or preamplifiers that don't have a dedicated sub out, but just L+R RCA outputs. You don't need to bother. Just connect both plugs.

So are you saying I need to put those settings on the T5 and then do something else in the app, or is it one or the other?
The former. Looks like your head got that quite well. :)

The WiiM Amp can not only send just the bass to the T5 subwoofer (using its built-in low pass filter). It can also remove that bass from the signal sent to the 3010i main speakers (using its high pass filter). This is the standard sub out configuration in the WiiM Home app after you enable sub out. The advantage of routing all the bass to the sub only is that the main speakers and the amp itself are relieved from power hungry bass duties. This reduces distortion and enables them to play louder.

You still have to decide on the right crossover frequency for the split and adjust the subwoofer level between -15 dB and +15dB. Default values are 80 Hz crossover and 0 dB output level (which just means standard level). Go with these defaults for a start and see how you like that There are many more options but it's difficult to discuss them all in advance.

There is also a 0⁰/180⁰ "phase" switch in the app. You'll have to try which setting results in louder bass and maybe re-adjust the level after doing so.

It doesn't really matter much. The sub came with this cable and there is nothing wrong with connecting both plugs. The sub out signal is mono, anyway. Why are there even left and right inputs on a mono subwoofer? It makes a difference only for amplifiers or preamplifiers that don't have a dedicated sub out, but just L+R RCA outputs. You don't need to bother. Just connect both plugs.

The former. Looks like your head got that quite well. :)

The WiiM Amp can not only send just the bass to the T5 subwoofer (using its built-in low pass filter). It can also remove that bass from the signal sent to the 3010i main speakers (using its high pass filter). This is the standard sub out configuration in the WiiM Home app after you enable sub out. The advantage of routing all the bass to the sub only is that the main speakers and the amp itself are relieved from power hungry bass duties. This reduces distortion and enables them to play louder.

You still have to decide on the right crossover frequency for the split and adjust the subwoofer level between -15 dB and +15dB. Default values are 80 Hz crossover and 0 dB output level (which just means standard level). Go with these defaults for a start and see how you like that There are many more options but it's difficult to discuss them all in advance.

There is also a 0⁰/180⁰ "phase" switch in the app. You'll have to try which setting results in louder bass and maybe re-adjust the level after doing so.
Thank you very much for this information.

Obviously, I was too slow at typing, so @Wiimer already said it all. 😅 As always ... 😁
Hopefully I won't need a sub.
Actually, combining the tiny 3010i with a subwoofer is probably a very good idea. These speakers are considered to provide exceptional value for the money, but the woofers are just 4". They have to move a lot to create some bass. The more they move, the higher the distortion gets, also affecting the midrange.

WiiM Amp (and T5) to the rescue! The WiiM is about the only stereo amp in its price range that allows to cleanly split the signal between sub and mains. The 3010i will sound even better if they don't have to provide the bass output. It's a bit like turning them into 3-way speakers. For this to work properly, the settings on the sub should not get into the way. Because of that @Wiimer had recommended to set the volume dial to 12 o'clock, the LPF to 160 Hz (max) and the phase to 0⁰.
IMG_20241019_112124.jpg

You don't need to change anything on the sub later on. With these basic settings applied you'll be able to fully adjust the subwoofer configuration to your needs from within the WiiM Home app.
IMG_20241019_112629.jpg

It's not that WiiM home could change the settings of the T5 directly. It can just apply the same settings so it is important that the sub is set up so it doesn't interfere.

Obviously, I was too slow at typing, so @Wiimer already said it all. 😅 As always ... 😁

Actually, combining the tiny 3010i with a subwoofer is probably a very good idea. These speakers are considered to provide exceptional value for the money, but the woofers are just 4". They have to move a lot to create some bass. The more they move, the higher the distortion gets, also affecting the midrange.

WiiM Amp (and T5) to the rescue! The WiiM is about the only stereo amp in its price range that allows to cleanly split the signal between sub and mains. The 3010i will sound even better if they don't have to provide the bass output. It's a bit like turning them into 3-way speakers. For this to work properly, the settings on the sub should not get into the way. Because of that @Wiimer had recommended to set the volume dial to 12 o'clock, the LPF to 160 Hz (max) and the phase to 0⁰.
View attachment 13110

You don't need to change anything on the sub later on. With these basic settings applied you'll be able to fully adjust the subwoofer configuration to your needs from within the WiiM Home app.
View attachment 13112

It's not that WiiM home could change the settings of the T5 directly. It can just apply the same settings so it is important that the sub is set up so it doesn't interfere.
Thank you for this. I am understanding more and more about how it all works.

Yes, the speakers are great value. I got them on clearance for only AUD$270, and if I decide on the T5, it is only AUD$175 currently. Unfortunately I just found out that where I was hoping to purchase my WiiM from for AUD$370, they have no stock. Next option is AUD$499! So a slight setback. I will have the speakers next week but no WiiM. Lol!

UN
Definitely. Is that cable really 3.5mm to RCA? Is that another active speaker the sub is connected to?
If you're asking me, according to the manual that's what it is. Connects to a sub out and then into the signal in sockets of the T5. I assume the cable from the signal out is to another active speaker, but I really have no idea. I would only be connecting the T5 to the WiiM if I need a sub.

UN

If you're asking me, according to the manual that's what it is. Connects to a sub out and then into the signal in sockets of the T5. I assume the cable from the signal out is to another active speaker, but I really have no idea. I would only be connecting the T5 to the WiiM if I need a sub.
Sub out isn't normally a 3.5mm socket though. It is normally a single RCA and the sub normally has one of the RCA inputs labelled mono.

Back