WiiM Amp with Edifier T5 Subwoofer?

I believe it's the inputs to the T5 that are the 3.5 RCAs, but I'm no expert unfortunately. Here is the link to the US product page:

T5 Subwoofer
Just found this review on Amazon. He is using it with a WiiM Amp and recommends buying a 2 to 1 cable (RCA I assume).
Review on Amazon: Don't leap to conclusions but prob best to buy a decent interconnect it will def make a difference. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/revi...pann_dprv_MG5D3JC303J5SBXF5YGQ&language=en_US

Sub out isn't normally a 3.5mm socket though. It is normally a single RCA and the sub normally has one of the RCA inputs labelled mono.
@Erebus,

I thought this would not be a problem since the diagram in the manual shows a pin plug, but apparently not. This is a Japanese T5 accessory. The plug is a 3.5mm stereo jack, so it cannot be used for the WiiM.
1000001269.jpg

Use only one of the supplied RCA-RCA cables, or buy one separately. 🙂

@Erebus,

I thought this would not be a problem since the diagram in the manual shows a pin plug, but apparently not. This is a Japanese T5 accessory. The plug is a 3.5mm stereo jack, so it cannot be used for the WiiM.
View attachment 13114

Use only one of the supplied RCA-RCA cables, or buy one separately. 🙂
Thank you very much for pointing this out. The help and information I have received here is nothing short of amazing.

Just found this review on Amazon. He is using it with a WiiM Amp and recommends buying a 2 to 1 cable (RCA I assume).
Review on Amazon: Don't leap to conclusions but prob best to buy a decent interconnect it will def make a difference. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/revi...pann_dprv_MG5D3JC303J5SBXF5YGQ&language=en_US
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding this. Much appreciated. My mind is swimming but I believe the pieces are falling into place. May I ask please what type of connection cable I would require were I to purchase the T5 and connect it to the WiiM if as you say, the supplied one is not correct?

This picture from the manual confirms what @Wiimer found:

Edifier T5 cables.jpg

You could well use the provided RCA to RCA audio cable, but you would only need to use one channel.

Even though the T5 has not marked one of its RCA inputs as mono, you can still use any of them, left or right, white or red to connect the subwoofer output from the WiiM Amp. If the cable can be torn apart into two independent single channel cables (most cheap cables can) the setup was a little cleaner. No unnecessary plugs hanging around.

Only if the supplied cable is too short or its quality is visually bad I would consider buying a dedicated subwoofer cable. This is the point where @Wiimer and I don't agree (a very rare case ;) ), but I would simply go with an Amazon basics cable. I use two of them with my Lyngdorf subwoofers. :)

If you don't already own the Edifier T5 subwoofer,the WiiM amp/Q Acoustics speaker combo deserves a better subwoofer if you can afford it.
Oh, I see. My budget isn't huge unfortunately. Is there an alternative you would recommend? I'm still hopeful that I find the bass sufficient for my situation with just the Q Acoustic speakers.

This picture from the manual confirms what @Wiimer found:

View attachment 13115

You could well use the provided RCA to RCA audio cable, but you would only need to use one channel.

Even though the T5 has not marked one of its RCA inputs as mono, you can still use any of them, left or right, white or red to connect the subwoofer output from the WiiM Amp. If the cable can be torn apart into two independent single channel cables (most cheap cables can) the setup was a little cleaner. No unnecessary plugs hanging around.

Only if the supplied cable is too short or its quality is visually bad I would consider buying a dedicated subwoofer cable. This is the point where @Wiimer and I don't agree (a very rare case ;) ), but I would simply go with an Amazon basics cable. I use two of them with my Lyngdorf subwoofers. :)
Thank you for the clarification. I did post the cable image earlier but assumed (wrongly) that the 3.5 refered to the RCA plugs.

Oh, I see. My budget isn't huge unfortunately. Is there an alternative you would recommend?
Not much at the same price point, I think.

I'm still hopeful that I find the bass sufficient for my situation with just the Q Acoustic speakers.
If you're on a budget go ahead and simply try with no sub, first. There's no risk to this. You can add whatever sub later.

From my point of view this is not just about bass extension. This is the "classical" use of a sub. In particular with small bookshelf speakers there is the additional benefit of high pass filtering (if you have a WiiM Amp). This can really push the playback quality of these small speakers. ;)

Not much at the same price point, I think.

Indeed. I've not seen much negativity about the T5 performance wise, but anything else I've seen is at least double or triple the cost.
If you're on a budget go ahead and simply try with no sub, first. There's no risk to this. You can add whatever sub later.

From my point of view this is not just about bass extension. This is the "classical" use of a sub. In particular with small bookshelf speakers there is the additional benefit of high pass filtering (if you have a WiiM Amp). This can really push the playback quality of these small speakers. ;)

Good to know, thank you.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. My budget isn't huge unfortunately. Is there an alternative you would recommend? I'm still hopeful that I find the bass sufficient for my situation with just the Q Acoustic speakers.
In the US, I would say to watch for a sale on Polk or Klispch subwoofers. I searched SlickDeals and when on sale a 10" Polk subwoofer is less than the price of the 8" Edifier T5 on Amazon today.

There are a few things you can do without a subwoofer to improve the bass response of your Q Acoustics speakers.

First, move the speakers close to the wall behind them. This will increase bass output.

Second, as mentioned, is to set a high pass filter in the WiiM for the speakers.

Third, use the WiiM equalizer to boost the midbass (100-200Hz +/-) frequencies. This will increase your perception of bass output and is something that designers of small speaker sometimes build into the speaker to make them sound more pleasant.

First, move the speakers close to the wall behind them. This will increase bass output.
Okay. I'm short on space so they will be horizontal on a TV unit shelf. I've already checked with Q Acoustics to confirm that horizontal placement is okay. They will about 10 inches from the unit's back panel.
Second, as mentioned, is to set a high pass filter in the WiiM for the speakers.
I assume there is a setting for this in the app?
Third, use the WiiM equalizer to boost the midbass (100-200Hz +/-) frequencies. This will increase your perception of bass output and is something that designers of small speaker sometimes build into the speaker to make them sound more pleasant.
Is this done when selecting one of the presets in the Equaliser?

Thanks Erebus for this thread, it's really helpful as I was looking for a small, budget-friendly subwoofer for my WiiM Amp as well and the Edifier T5 is one of my main candidates. My setup is pretty simple just a WiiM amp hooked to a vintage cd player and Polk Audio T15s, which of course, fall short on the low frequencies. The midrange and highs sound good enough for me considering I usually listen to max 30 volume.

In Amazon I found these options in a similar price range, any opinions on these? :)

Screenshot 2024-10-19 at 9.13.43 AM.png

Okay. I'm short on space so they will be horizontal on a TV unit shelf. I've already checked with Q Acoustics to confirm that horizontal placement is okay. They will about 10 inches from the unit's back panel.

I assume there is a setting for this in the app?

Is this done when selecting one of the presets in the Equaliser?
You should get a bass boost from your positioning. I don't have a WiiM amp so someone else will need to confirm my statements.

I think you have a few different ways to set the high pass filter and bass boost. If you tell the WiiM you have a subwoofer in the system, it will give you options for setting the high pass filter for the Q Acoustic speakers.

There are a dozen or so presets for equalization. You can toggle through them and in real time hear the impact.

The other option would be to simply go into the graphic equalizer settings and make your own curve. You would set 3Hz to minimum, then try raising and lowering the 63Hz setting to see which one you like better and then try raising the 125Hz and possibly the 250Hz to see which you like more.

You can also use the Parametric equalizer to give you more control over the sound configuration, though this is more complicated.

Lastly you could try use the room correction built into the WiiM.

In the end all that matter is you like the sound.

No contest I would go with the Monoprice. More amplifier power, stated distortion measurement for RMS output, better signal to noise ratio, generally highly regarded. Good luck finding full specifications for the Edifier or Presonus.

Have you seen that Monoprice sub in the flesh? Monoprice is strictly a brand name, there's no uniform maker behind their products. Don't be tempted to judge this sub based on its bigger brothers fame.

I happen to actually have this little Monoprice sub in one of my systems (the one with the WiiM Ultra, a pair of V3 monos and full range speakers based on Dayton Audio's RS100-4) and it certainly is a very cheaply made product. I picked it up for less than 100 EUR during a sale and it's OK for that. For 150 bucks it's rather ohhhkayyyyy, at best. The T5 can be had for 120 EUR over here and at that price difference I'd surely pick the T5. Telling from the pictures and videos the woofer looks vastly superior.

Having said that, even the Monoprice sub is a good example how even a not so good sub can greatly improve listening pleasure when paired with proper bass management and some EQ.

I have not seen any of the three subs in question. I would not purchase anything without an appropriate return policy.

I am skeptical of products that do not include measurements. Monoprice appears to be the only one of the three to do this.

YMMV

I don't see any real measurements on the Monoprice site. But at least the spec clearly state the weakest point of this product:

Monoprice Select 8-inch 200-watt Subwoofer.png
There's a totally unnecessary and hardly bearable 12 dB boost at 45 Hz. My own measurements confirm that.

Monoprice Select 8-inch 200-watt in-room AVR EQ.png
Admittedly, this is an in-room measurement with HP filtering and some GEQ applied by a Pioneer AVR, back then. No way to get rid of that big fourtysomething bass hump, which shows up in near-field measurements just the same.

I see real measurements when I click on the Full Specs in the link I provided. Where are your specs coming from?

Back