WiiM Home App v2.9.7 Update - May 13, 2024

Honestly, that's still not what I want.

When I'm in a night time listening session and don't want to set up the neighbours and decide to switch from one input to another, the default volume may be well too loud.

Of course, I could set a lower default value then, but this would actually not be the default I want most of the time (taking the term default ad absurdum).

That's why Lyngdorf and I and the makers of most AV receivers think that a fixed offset per input setting is much more convenient. It will compensate for the difference in loudness, regardless of the current listening level.
As you said, the disadvantage of per-source VC is that it does not automatically adjust the volume difference when switching inputs after manually changing the volume. I didn't really care about that because I'm controlling it with Alexa routines.

If I re-read your suggestion again, it certainly looks more reasonable that way.🤗

By the way, if I use volume bypass(1), will not be able to adjust the volume on the WiiM, and if I want to reduce the volume, need to control it with another device (AVR or FireTV), right?
In my case, I might be happier if could set the input level correction to +/- 50. 🤔

By the way, if I use volume bypass(1), will not be able to adjust the volume on the WiiM, and if I want to reduce the volume, need to control it with another device (AVR or FireTV), right?
In my case, I might be happier if could set the input level correction to +/- 50. 🤔
That's right.

If you change the volume on the WiiM, not on the AVR, the balance between front and rear speakers (and possibly the center) will be off. That's usually not what people want.

Towards the default volume discussion: Congrats to anybody listening at the same volume setting for months. But I cannot imagine anything being further from my daily reality than that.

PS:
I don't see how that would speak against a default setting, if you can configure it as you like it.

That's right.

If you change the volume on the WiiM, not on the AVR, the balance between front and rear speakers (and possibly the center) will be off. That's usually not what people want.

Towards the default volume discussion: Congrats to anybody listening at the same volume setting for months. But I cannot imagine anything being further from my daily reality than that.

PS:
I don't see how that would speak against a default setting, if you can configure it as you like it.
It goes against it because It's unnecessary to have a default setting, if I ever decide to change my preferred listening volume, I simply adjust the dial, and as the dial is the arbiter of the volume, it remembers the new setting regardless of my source, until I change it again.

My amplifier has a rather nifty -20db "muting" button I can use to lower the volume without adjusting anything, if for example I have company over.

Many people use the wiim without using it volume feature, and so would prefer it locked at 100% constantly as they control the volume elsewhere.

The only useful setting I can imagine for a default volume is if it defaults to 0, as many people lower the dial to 0 when turning off their amps.

Yes of course.
However, in some cases, I may use the WiiM's volume control, so the more options have, the better. 😁

@cooky560,
Very sorry, but can you please turn off features that you don't need?
Thank you.🤗

The "-20dB muting" feature doesn't help me at all, but I'm not going to complain if it adds to the WiiM. Yes, as long as I am given the option to turn it off.

My remarks here stem from the addition of a new feature that can't be turned off.

Ps;
I would like to add that I adjust the volume in 1% increments depending on how I feel that day chiefly. 🙂

Last edited:
The "-20dB muting" feature doesn't help me at all, but I'm not going to complain if it adds to the WiiM. Yes, as long as I am given the option to turn it off.
This feature is nothing to do with the WiiM, but was a common feature on 70s and 80s amps.

The idea is that you can quickly in one key press lower the volume, and restore it to what it was.

For example if I am listening to a record at a high level, and the get a surprise guest, I can press "muting" and the music instantly becomes background, then when when they leave I press it again, and the volume goes back to as it was before.

IT's not a feature request for the WiiM, it's just something I use on my own kit.

Example photo from one of my collection added for an example

Attachments

• loudness.jpg
    loudness.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
This feature is nothing to do with the WiiM, but was a common feature on 70s and 80s amps.

The idea is that you can quickly in one key press lower the volume, and restore it to what it was.

For example if I am listening to a record at a high level, and the get a surprise guest, I can press "muting" and the music instantly becomes background, then when when they leave I press it again, and the volume goes back to as it was before.

IT's not a feature request for the WiiM, it's just something I use on my own kit.
an intelligent auto muting -20db function when you pick up the phone on which wiim.home works could be funny... ;-)
and a simple muting -20db in wiim home ..easy to use ...too

Example photo from one of my collection added for an example
Yes, I know. I was just using an analogy.🙂

Yes, I know. I was just using an analogy.🙂
Ok, sorry that went straight past me!

I'm actually on your side, this feature is a bit marmite (not everyone wants it) and it should be optional.

I am just confused as to why a default volume is useful in the first place. Unless as I said that default is 0, so you can raise it to how you want it as you need to.

I'm actually on your side, this feature is a bit marmite (not everyone wants it) and it should be optional.

I am just confused as to why a default volume is useful in the first place. Unless as I said that default is 0, so you can raise it to how you want it as you need to.
I also have it on my preamps, see the value can be adjustable.... (not necessarily as old ;-) ). but honestly if it was in wiim home .. would often be more practical... very good idea... ;-)

I also have it on my preamps.. (not necessarily as old ;-) ). but honestly if it was in wiim home .. would often be more practical... very good idea... ;-)
I am mostly a collector of older amplifiers, I just prefer the look and simplicity of them.

The WiiM is perfect for giving them a modern new purpose, as they sound decent too.

My more modern kit doesn't seem to have muting, tone controls etc, they don't seem fashionable anymore.

mono, balance, muting...three of these ""old functions""...very useful...

mono, balance, muting...three of these old functions...very useful...
On this topic actually the list of things my Cambridge audio amp doesn't have that vintage amps do:

1. Stereo / Mono Mode
  2. With my sherwood s7200 specifically, quad stereo, and the ability to downmix quad sound into stereo.
  3. Balance
  4. Tone
  5. Tone defeat
  6. The option to function as a power amp only
  7. The option to function as a pre-amp only
  8. The option to insert processor devices between the pre and power stages.
  9. The ability to do 5-7 using a simple RCA loop on the rear of the unit.
  10. Muting
  11. A + B Speakers
  12. line out x2 for splitting off to other amps / tape recording
  13. MM and MC phono stages with adjustable mv.
Amazing considering that the Cambridge cost 10x what I can buy the vintage ones for.

Sound is about the same too...

The full feature set from WiiM excels at bringing simple functionality back. I love my WiiM kit.

the muting can even be easily adjustable in level... in a case like a wiim...
could be proposed on a "reading" page in a simple way...muting...well done..

I admit that it was me who had insisted in the past on balance and mono..but I had forgotten the muting function which would be very useful..or even more often...:oops:

Last edited:
The scary thing is those 13 items I listed doesn't even include features I don't use, such as monitoring recordings on the tape loops, edit programs, the fact my amp can output one source the speakers, and another to the line output...

We've lost a lot really.

No problem. Probably because of my English...

As you say, the current per-source VC is tricky. And I'm sure the default value was on, but it should be off.

In my case, the default volume is a feature for me to laziness. For example, it's just a hassle to turn down the volume at night and then turn it back on again the next morning.😅

It goes against it because It's unnecessary to have a default setting, if I ever decide to change my preferred listening volume, I simply adjust the dial, and as the dial is the arbiter of the volume, it remembers the new setting regardless of my source, until I change it again.
Now I see where you're coming from.

Please note that for all owners of the WiiM Amp "the dial" and the volume setting in the WiiM Home app are one and the same thing. Also for everyone using the Pro Plus and the upcoming Ultra as a pre-amp this is the only way to control volume.

On top of that, buyers making use of all the available inputs need a way to balance out difference in volume. I agree that default volume settings is not the best way to deal with that and proposed a different, more conventional solution.

However, just because you don't have a use case for a certain feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. That's rather trivial, isn't it?

However, just because you don't have a use case for a certain feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. That's rather trivial, isn't it?
It's not trivial if it can't be disabled by the end user who has no use for it. Which was my point all along.

I don't understand why some people might need it, but that doesn't mean I don't accept they might want it. However it should by default behave like every other audio device on the market, and leave settings as they were when it was last used.

I've been afraid to update my Amp lest this happen to me, thankfully my pro plus seems unaffected.

Last edited:
However it should by default behave like every other audio device on the market, and leave settings as they were when it was last used.
Sorry, you are still talking about your stuff from the 1980s, not about "every other audio device on the market". ;)

I tried to explain the use cases as clear as I could. If you still don't understand please give me a hint.

I also repeated numerous times now how and why defaults per input are not that helpful. But one configurable default (and setting this to e.g. 100%) is about the same as disabling the feature altogether.

It's not trivial if it can't be disabled by the end user who has no use for it. Which was my point all along.

I don't understand why some people might need it, but that doesn't mean I don't accept they might want it. However it should by default behave like every other audio device on the market, and leave settings as they were when it was last used.

I've been afraid to update my Amp lest this happen to me, thankfully my pro plus seems unaffected.
Do you have your amp volume set higher than 50%? I don't and the new default settings doesn't really affect me.

Back