WiiM Home App v2.9.7 Update - May 13, 2024

Again, if the volume returns to 50% every time you wake up from standby, the per-source volume control is not working. (For users who have set the volume to 50% or higher.)

If so, this is the most incomprehensible update in WiiM history for me. 😭😭😭

Again, if the volume returns to 50% every time you wake up from standby, the per-source volume control is not working. (For users who have set the volume to 50% or higher.)

If so, this is the most incomprehensible update in WiiM history for me. 😭😭😭
For a streamer which is always set to 100% feeding an integrated amplifier it makes no sense at all. The volume control should stay with the amplifier.

Surely it won't have an effect with Fixed Volume Output enabled?
Some users might just leave the volume set to 100% rather than select fixed output though. I never set my Squeezebox Touch to fixed 100% volume to avoid having to run to the amplifier if the phone rang :)

Some users might just leave the volume set to 100% rather than select fixed output though. I never set my Squeezebox Touch to fixed 100% volume to avoid having to run to the amplifier if the phone rang :)
It clearly hasn't been thought out properly and as a bare minimum needs a control in the WHA to allow the 50% cut on restart to be disabled 🙄 Does it only apply to the Amp though in which case Fixed Volume doesn't apply anyway?

It clearly hasn't been thought out properly and as a bare minimum needs a control in the WHA to allow the 50% cut on restart to be disabled 🙄 Does it only apply to the Amp though in which case Fixed Volume doesn't apply anyway?
I don't know if it only applies to the amp but 50% on the amp is still loud.

It won't increase the volume to 50%, though, just decrease if it's been above that.

Still, not fully thought through, I think.
  1. For people like @Wiimer (integrating their WiiM stuff with an AVR) there should be a home theatre bypass switch, having higher priority than any other volume setting. When enabled, the volume control should be bypassed completely. This switch should be available for every digital and line level input. A warning might be appropriate when a use enables this setting.
  2. Instead of per input volume control there should be an individual volume offset setting for each input and for each preset. Make it adjustable by at least +/-6 dB (or more).
  3. Give us the option to define a custom volume to use after waking up from stand-by or powering on. Just one setting. Different desired levels for different inputs will be handled by (2). (1) will make sure that neither affects the volume of. he input used for AVR integration.
That's it. Slick and easy. :)

Last edited:
It won't on increase the volume to 50%, though, just decrease if it's been above that.

Still, not fully thought through, I think.
  1. For people like @Wiimer (integrating their WiiM stuff withban AVR) there should be a home theatre bypass switch, having higher priority than any other volume setting. When is enabled, the volume control should be bypassed completely. This switch should be available for every digital and line level input. A warning might be appropriate when a use enables this setting.
  2. Instead of per input volume control there should be an individual volume offset setting for each input and for each preset. Make it adjustable by at least +/-6 dB (or more).
  3. Give us the option to define a custom volume to use after waking up from stand-by or powering on. Just one setting. Different desired levels for different inputs will be handled by (2). (1) will make sure that neither affects the volume of. he input used for AVR integration.
That's it. Slick and easy. :)

Yes.
However, such a feature is desirable when technically feasible.

[Per-source volume control setting screen]
Screenshot_2024-05-15-09-46-49-274_com.dragonnest.drawnote-edit.jpg

If you set the default volume as described above, the volume will be auto set to 30% if the input at startup is Ethernet. Similarly, it is 60% for TV and 100% for line-in.

I think this is what we discussed in the thread cited by @WiiM Support.

If this is not possible, it is better not to make Incomplete updates to the current per-source volume control.

Last edited:
Yes.

Ethernet =30%
TV = 60%
Line-in =100%
Optical = 30%

If you set the default volume as described above, the volume will be auto set to 30% if the input at startup is Ethernet. Similarly, it is 60% for TV and 100% for line-in.

If this is not possible, it is better not to make Incomplete updates to the current per-source volume control.
Hi Team,

Thank you all for your valuable comments. We will review these and make the necessary adjustments. We will post the revised UX here soon and seek your feedback.

It is fairly ludicrous to leave your amp on for 30 or 60 minutes after you've stopped listening. Why would you ?
I don't have a wiim amp so I'm talking about my non-wiim equipment, such as rme dac, marantz and hegel amps, but same difference.
OK, yes, if I've stopped listening then I usually turn them off myself, but if I forget then them occasionally staying on unused for 1 hour is pretty irrelevant for me.
But if I've merely paused listening, such as to take a call or join a meeting or cook some food, then anything less than 30 mins
means that they turn themselves off "too soon" for my liking.
That's why a decent range of choices can please (almost) everyone!

Yes.

View attachment 7136

The difference is that I don't just want a default setting for volume. I want something that preserves the relative difference between inputs. When switching from one input to another there should ideally be no need to adjust volume at all.

A bit strange update. More options are usually the way, not the other way around.

What's the point in abstractly criticising WiiM for removing a feature?

They thought they had a good reason to do so. Just tell them explicitly that you really want it back and judging from past behaviour I'm sure they will listen. :)

The difference is that I don't just want a default setting for volume. I want something that preserves the relative difference between inputs. When switching from one input to another there should ideally be no need to adjust volume at all.
Of course, such features are also welcome.

The AVR has the ability to adjust the relative volume difference, but you can't set a default volume for each input (as far as I know). If the WiiM amp allows you to set a default volume for each input, you don't need to adjust the volume when switching inputs. (Basically.)

This feature is not only valid when resuming from standby. It is always the default volume for that input, so it is also valid when switching inputs. For example, if you listen to streaming music at 30% volume, then turn on the TV and the volume changes to 60%. In this respect, it should behave as it does now. 😊

Of course, such features are also welcome.

The AVR has the ability to adjust the relative volume difference, but you can't set a default volume for each input (as far as I know). If the WiiM amp allows you to set a default volume for each input, you don't need to adjust the volume when switching inputs. (Basically.)

This feature is not only valid when resuming from standby. It is always the default volume for that input, so it is also valid when switching inputs. For example, if you listen to streaming music at 30% volume, then turn on the TV and the volume changes to 60%. In this respect, it should behave as it does now. 😊
Look like wiimer dog from Japan is off today and has lots of time on his hand.

Honestly, that's still not what I want.

When I'm in a night time listening session and don't want to set up the neighbours and decide to switch from one input to another, the default volume may be well too loud.

Of course, I could set a lower default value then, but this would actually not be the default I want most of the time (taking the term default ad absurdum).

That's why Lyngdorf and I and the makers of most AV receivers think that a fixed offset per input setting is much more convenient. It will compensate for the difference in loudness, regardless of the current listening level.

I don't understand why a default on start volume is necessary. I haven't changed the volume on my amps in months.
I set the level I enjoy, then leave it there forever.
I fully agree, and certainly have no need for this "Feature" that has caused settings that I do use to be removed.

I don't understand why a default on start volume is necessary. I haven't changed the volume on my amps in months.
I set the level I enjoy, then leave it there forever.
I suppose the issue is that your preferred daytime volume would normally be different to your 11pm volume if you don't want to wake the neighbours 😀

Back