WiiM Ultra Firmware v5.2.627135 Update - Aug 23, 2024

yes.. good job.... but it still doesn't work with Roon, I don't know if it depends on the WiiM doing something or if it's Roon's fault
Have you submitted a ticket to WiiM re your issues? Are you using Chromecast within RooN or have you configured it to communicate directly with your WiiM since it’s Roon Ready?

yes.. good job.... but it still doesn't work with Roon, I don't know if it depends on the WiiM doing something or if it's Roon's fault
Using Roon to Ultra through Chromecast still crashes for me after this firmware update. Sometimes in the middle of a track it skips to the next one, sometimes it just stops playing. I don't have this problem when casting directly from Roon to Ultra's RAAT. It happens rarely when using Roon with my WiiM Pro.

I prefer using Chromecast with Roon because I can group with other Chromecast speakers. Also, I can use Shared Controls on my Android phone to quickly pause playback without opening an app. Very helpful when receiving phone calls.

As an example, I cannot get through the album below streamed from Qobuz through Roon to Ultra via Chromecast.

temp.jpg

Last edited:
Using Roon to Ultra through Chromecast still crashes for me after this firmware update. Sometimes in the middle of a track it skips to the next one, sometimes it just stops playing. I don't have this problem when casting directly from Roon to Ultra's RAAT. It happens rarely when using Roon with my WiiM Pro.

I prefer using Chromecast with Roon because I can group with other Chromecast speakers. Also, I can use Shared Controls on my Android phone to quickly pause playback without opening an app. Very helpful when receiving phone calls.

As an example, I cannot get through the album below streamed from Qobuz through Roon to Ultra via Chromecast.
I just tried playing the album Flow by Jihee Heo again after rebooting my Ultra and it crashed on the 5th track. Also, I do downsample in Roon to 48kHz in case high-res is the issue, but that doesn't help.

When playback crashed Roon first lost the device connection and displayed "Select an audio zone". Then after a few seconds it showed the Chromecast connection to my Ultra but playback was paused mid-track.

Have you submitted a ticket to WiiM re your issues? Are you using Chromecast within RooN or have you configured it to communicate directly with your WiiM since it’s Roon Ready?
I use Roon directly, I don't use Chromecast, I don't like this solution. In this case, I think the cover integration should not be the WiiM but rather the Roon, based on what is already being discussed in the Roon community.

I use Roon directly, I don't use Chromecast, I don't like this solution. In this case, I think the cover integration should not be the WiiM but rather the Roon, based on what is already being discussed in the Roon community.
Sorry, don't understand what you mean by "cover integration" nor what is already being discussed in the Roon community...

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by "cover integration" nor what is already being discussed in the Roon community...
As I mentioned, it's about Radio Paradise, in the WiiM app the art appears, but when you play Radio Paradise and run it through Roon the art doesn't appear.

This latest Ultra update seems to be plagued with playback issues. Everything was working pretty well on my two Ultra's [and WiiM Amp] and after updating the Ultra's yesterday, Ultra playback is basically broken (doesn't matter what streaming service). Half the time it doesn't respond to the WHA, you select a track on WHA and the album art may or may not appear but it never plays or frequently when you select a track, instead of playing that track, it reverts to playing the last played track.

It's bizarre, as it was solid with the previous Ultra update, but practically unusable for me now. I've opened a ticket.

FWIW after going through various issues the last couple days since the new firmware installed, I completely unplugged everything today then started fresh, and so far this afternoon the results have been better. Mostly stable and no sound drops. Hopefully this helped because I really like the Ultra. Sounds very good and it's very versatile. I really don't want to return it.

This latest Ultra update seems to be plagued with playback issues. Everything was working pretty well on my two Ultra's [and WiiM Amp] and after updating the Ultra's yesterday, Ultra playback is basically broken (doesn't matter what streaming service). Half the time it doesn't respond to the WHA, you select a track on WHA and the album art may or may not appear but it never plays or frequently when you select a track, instead of playing that track, it reverts to playing the last played track.

It's bizarre, as it was solid with the previous Ultra update, but practically unusable for me now. I've opened a ticket.
Agree on all fronts here. Loading in search, albums, songs, etc. is WAY slower after the update, and even sometimes when you click an artist or album it says "No results." Absolutely terrible. Is there a way to go back to the prior version?

Agree on all fronts here. Loading in search, albums, songs, etc. is WAY slower after the update, and even sometimes when you click an artist or album it says "No results." Absolutely terrible. Is there a way to go back to the prior version?
Fill out the “Send Us Feedback” page on the Home app under Support. I was told to do that by their staff when I submitted a ticket for my issues. However after completely disconnecting everything from the Ultra including power for several minutes then plugging back in I’ve had much more stable performance so I’m holding off. You might give that a shot first if you haven’t already.

Update applied (automatically), disconnecting the Ultra from mains.power every nights, no issues so far.

Update applied (automatically), disconnecting the Ultra from mains.power every nights, no issues so far.
I have had an issue that I’ve reported that the ultra playback level was a lot lower than usual - no app, device or network changes that I recall beyond the recent firmware update, and I also switch everything off and back on each day. However, toggling fixed volume off and back on restores my normal listening volume.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused! Our team is fixing this issue. Thanks very much in advance for your patience.

FWIW after going through various issues the last couple days since the new firmware installed, I completely unplugged everything today then started fresh, and so far this afternoon the results have been better. Mostly stable and no sound drops. Hopefully this helped because I really like the Ultra. Sounds very good and it's very versatile. I really don't want to return it.
Well the intermittent dropouts are back unfortunately. This morning it's affecting my Line In connection. Sent a support request to get back to the previous firmware.

Is nobody else reading this having any of these issues, where whatever component you have playing through an Input of the Ultra suddenly goes silent, and the only way to get it back is to switch from that Input to another one, then switch back?

FWIW once again I disconnected everything from the Ultra after having this occur this morning, and after connecting it all back things seemed to have settled down once again and so far no dropouts. I really don't want to have to do this every day.

Last edited:
Fill out the “Send Us Feedback” page on the Home app under Support. I was told to do that by their staff when I submitted a ticket for my issues. However after completely disconnecting everything from the Ultra including power for several minutes then plugging back in I’ve had much more stable performance so I’m holding off. You might give that a shot first if you haven’t already.
I followed your unplug advice, but unfortunately no dice fixing the issue. Another crummy problem - when playing an album in sequence, it just decides to skip some songs entirely. Not currently usable in this state.

I'm thinking it's more likely an issue plaguing the app software that was part of the update rather than the new firmware. The fix probably needs to be on a new app update.

I followed your unplug advice, but unfortunately no dice fixing the issue. Another crummy problem - when playing an album in sequence, it just decides to skip some songs entirely. Not currently usable in this state.

I'm thinking it's more likely an issue plaguing the app software that was part of the update rather than the new firmware. The fix probably needs to be on a new app update.
Yup unfortunately and I indicated in another post disconnecting didn't work for me either. I'm waiting to hear back from support and if I do I'll let others know here.

Yup unfortunately and I indicated in another post disconnecting didn't work for me either. I'm waiting to hear back from support and if I do I'll let others know here.
I have about 3 weeks to return the Ultra for a full refund, so if it's not resolved by then, I think I might have to return it...

It was working perfectly before! Sometimes if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Back