WiiM Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated on 5/25/2024

Check out this fuller thread about our official announcement of the WiiM Ultra - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/meet-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music.3487/

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the next iteration -- WiiM Ultra 2 -- hopefully with:
  • balanced L,R,Sub out via TRS or XLR
  • option for 4V and 5V operation (balanced out)

:)
And USB out. Or even better IMHO -- as has been suggested multiple times -- would be a lean and mean streamer that is optimized for integration into current music systems as the digital-only intermediary between content sources and one or more DACs, Roon/LMS/etc-ready in the Ultra form factor with the pretty screen and all. With WiiM's superb development and tech support services backing it up. I'd purchase at least three of those on release day. And more as birthday/holiday gifts to others.

Isn't USB out coming, anyway?

Few people have been asking about a dedicated streamer-only model, right. That's absolutely not what the Ultra will be, though.

And USB out. Or even better IMHO -- as has been suggested multiple times -- would be a lean and mean streamer that is optimized for integration into current music systems as the digital-only intermediary between content sources and one or more DACs, Roon/LMS/etc-ready in the Ultra form factor with the pretty screen and all. With WiiM's superb development and tech support services backing it up. I'd purchase at least three of those on release day. And more as birthday/holiday gifts to others.
Better USB IN, accepting data from PC

I dream of playing DSD including ISO from ext. HDD. But it's just a dream, you wake up and it's daytime... :-(

Will it be able to play Dolby Atmos music as it has an HDMI socket?

??? It’s the new module they will be using for the Ultra, and probably new devices going forward. Newer BT version supported too.
I meant on the availability of the Ultra - I guess they couldn’t start selling the Ultra in the USA (or maybe even sending out review samples) till it had this certification, but then again they could simply be producing and stockpiling them till they did get certification. So ignore me ;)

I meant on the availability of the Ultra - I guess they couldn’t start selling the Ultra in the USA (or maybe even sending out review samples) till it had this certification, but then again they could simply be producing and stockpiling them till they did get certification. So ignore me ;)
Yep, they always have to go through certs for the modules, then more certs (FCC, etc) for the finished product. FCC Cert for the Ultra itself should be coming soon, and reported here: https://fcc.report/company/Linkplay-Technology-Inc

Sorry for the stupid question, but does that mean that if it have WiFi 6 certification, it can also use 6E?
It reads as Wi-Fi 6 certified. Since it's also capable of 6GHz (which I think is the salient feature for 6E) but not specific 6E certification
1716143694811.png1716143940706.png

Sorry for the stupid question, but does that mean that if it have WiFi 6 certification, it can also use 6E?
No, WiFi 6 has two variant. Regular WiFi 6 doesn’t support 6ghz. After 6ghz got green signal from fcc, WiFi 6 got upgraded to 6e which include 6ghz. There are two router you can buy 6 or 6e. It will take long time before you will see 6ghz flooded the market. 5ghz used to be not congested but now you see so many ap on 5ghz. WiFi 7 is a truly revolutionary product because it combine all band that can be used by client. Only Samsung ultra has that capability so far.

No WiFi tech better than Ethernet. Good thing my house has Ethernet plug on every room including kitchen and living room.
WiFi is more convenient if that's what you mean by better. For people in dense dwellings (flats / condos), WiFi can be inconvenient when it collides with other's signals. I recently put a friend on Ethernet over Power because of this issue for streaming media.

Radio links are still subject to RF environment. What's the bit error rate on WiFi? Wired Ethernet is at worst 1x10E-08 and often closer to 10E-09 or 10E-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back