Beta Test: DLNA Cast

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Hi WiiM Community,

We are currently seeking beta testers for our DLNA Cast feature.

The DLNA Cast feature will enable you to cast audio from Wiim devices to other DLNA-enabled speakers, such as Sonos, Bose speakers, and more.

If you are interested in beta testing this new feature, please provide your Wiim Forum username and MAC address in the Beta Test DLNA Cast link.

Update: 6/28/24

Please use this thread to post your experience of DLNA Cast if your device is whitelisted for this feature.

Thanks!
WiiM Team

Last edited:
Just received the firmware, now waiting for the app update from the Play store.
First impression is that it’s an early beta (which almost goes without saying) - currently only 24/48 with no artwork; on the other hand, you can choose target devices very easily and control the volume independently, but they’re not synced. And for some strange reason, it briefly picked up my Philips hue bridge as a target speaker…

Last edited:
I’ll ask WiiM if they would open the beta thread for comments. First impression is that it’s an early beta (which almost goes without saying) - currently only 24/48 with no artwork; on the other hand, you can choose target devices very easily and control the volume independently, but they’re not synced. And for some strange reason, it briefly picked up my Philips hue bridge as a target speaker…
All of my devices and speakers are listed, but so far I have not been able to get sound from my speakers, other than a sound when adjusting their volume. Hopefully this will be resolved in the next update.

All of my devices and speakers are listed, but so far I have not been able to get sound from my speakers, other than a sound when adjusting their volume. Hopefully this will be resolved in the next update.
Thinking about it, my targets were both WiiM devices so maybe the 24/48 limit was due to Linkplay multi room - I'll try it later once I get some real life house/garden work done...

What are you trying to cast? I was going to start with local content (from a UPnP server) as that should work without any relay from the WiiM hardware - assuming that it's even possible to play other sources.

What are you trying to cast? I was going to start with local content (from a UPnP server) as that should work without any relay from the WiiM hardware - assuming that it's even possible to play other sources.
My first try was Qobuz from LMS to my Pro Plus and then to my Pro and Mini as DLNA targets into my Linn... Just happened to be playing radio from LMS so it was easy to stay on LMS...

As I said, I'll try other combinations later

My first try was Qobuz from LMS to my Pro Plus and then to my Pro and Mini as DLNA targets into my Linn... Just happened to be playing radio from LMS so it was easy to stay on LMS...
Maybe my expectations are wrong as I don't understand any of that :)

I'm assuming that we're going to be able to use the WiiM Home app to play/cast to DLNA speakers, so how could LMS be involved?

Linn is only OpenHome isn't it (shouldn't be discoverable by Hi-Fi Cast or mconnect)? I wouldn't have expected it to be discovered at all.

I'm going - to try - and wait patiently now.

Maybe my expectations are wrong as I don't understand any of that :)

I'm assuming that we're going to be able to use the WiiM Home app to play/cast to DLNA speakers, so how could LMS be involved?

Linn is only OpenHome isn't it (shouldn't be discoverable by Hi-Fi Cast or mconnect)? I wouldn't have expected it to be discovered at all.

I'm going - to try - and wait patiently now.
LMS just happened to be the source my DLNA beta Pro Plus was playing and then later casting to the other two WiiMs. All I used the WiM app for was to select the DLNA cast target devices.

My Linn has always been discoverable by apps like mConnect, Hi-Fi Cast, LMS' UPNPBridge plugin et al - it identifies as Linn Majik DSM/4: UPnP AV

I have tried internet radio using vTuner, Tidal, Qobuz, and direct from my phone via the WiiM Home app.

My speakers are RIVA Festival, and RIVA Arena, these support DLNA casting up to 24 Bit 192 KHz.

I have tried internet radio using vTuner, Tidal, Qobuz, and direct from my phone via the WiiM Home app.

My speakers are RIVA Festival, and RIVA Arena, these support DLNA casting up to 24 Bit 192 KHz.
Thanks, must be the fact my targets were WiiM devices. I'll try with others later

LMS just happened to be the source my DLNA beta Pro Plus was playing and then later casting to the other two WiiMs. All I used the WiM app for was to select the DLNA cast target devices.
Just got the update and it's different than I thought. I was expecting it to be a control point, but it's essentially a relay (an output). Still, could be interesting.
Seems you can pair to more than 1 too.

My Linn has always been discoverable by apps like mConnect, Hi-Fi Cast, LMS' UPNPBridge plugin et al - it identifies as Linn Majik DSM/4: UPnP AV
I must be thinking of Lumin.

Initial responses from WiiM Support re submitted tickets:
  • DLNA Cast only supports 24/48
  • DLNA cast protocol does not support synchronization
The 24/48 limit is the more disappointing for me as I thought that might be a route to hi res multi room that they’ve had on the roadmap for a while, and I don’t know why there should be a limit using upnp/dlna. Guess it’s enough for those wanting to cast their turntable input…

• DLNA cast protocol does not support synchronization
The 24/48 limit is the more disappointing for me as I thought that might be a route to hi res multi room that they’ve had on the roadmap for a while, and I don’t know why there should be a limit using upnp/dlna. Guess it’s enough for those wanting to cast their turntable input…
Will that be a permanent limit? Oh well, I suppose there are alternatives for UPnP/DNLA streaming.

I haven't had much of a chance to look at it but it seems to be converting everything to 24/48, even when the source is lower.
I assume it's doing this for compatibility as there will be some DLNA renderers that don't support higher resolutions e.g. Sonos.

I was a little surprised that you can't use your WiiM as a player at the same time.

I don't see what this offers over LMS where the various bridge plugins cover a wider range of endpoints. Maybe useful for turntable fans?

I haven't had much of a chance to look at it but it seems to be converting everything to 24/48, even when the source is lower.
I assume it's doing this for compatibility as there will be some DLNA renderers that don't support higher resolutions e.g. Sonos.

Guess it doesn’t have a way of finding what resolution target speakers can play and maybe then play the lowest common denominator, so it’s pitching the resolution at 24/48 that you’d expect most targets to support. Plus, I must admit, I’ve often argued that 24/48 is sufficient for multi room / “party mode” playback anyway, but the other side of me still likes to see bigger numbers ;)

I was a little surprised that you can't use your WiiM as a player at the same time.
It was said in the Ultra q&a that the use of multiple outputs at the same time might come in a future firmware update

Back