Beta Test: Plex

Just got updated Wiim Home app from IOS App Store and Plex now works well. In fact looks a lot like Plex Amp. Very nice implementation. Only thing missing is a Genre selection. Which is odd. Everything else like history, recommendations etc is showing. Thanks Wiim team. Looks great so far.

Appreciate the work everyone is doing to beta test, but can't say home disappointed I am this this isn't actual PlexAmp.

Someone had asked earlier in the thread why would that matter, instead of just using your phone and casting. For me, I have two Raspberry Pis that I'm using as PlexAmp clients. One of them is plugged into my Wiim, which I use for my multi-zone audio system.

Would love to ditch the Raspberry Pi and just do everything through the Wiim, as I'm sure it would sound a lot better. Plus, it's one less thing to turn on, turn off, etc.

And, I'd gladly upgrade from my Wiim Pro to the Pro+, Ultra or whatever for that functionality in a heartbeat. Keeping fingers crossed it's still somewhere down the roadmap...

Hi. Few hours ago I replaced the TestFlight 2.11.6 with the same version from the App Store. I had to logout and login again into my Plex account to be able to browse the library and play music. Note: the "Sign in with Apple" didn't work, I had to use the complete email address.
It is a good start. Let's say that the first half of the work to completely integrate WiiM and Plex has been done, thank you @WiiM Team ! Now we start using this but, in the meanwhile, will you work on the Plexamp endpoint feature? ;)

No, it will only appear there if you have DLNA enabled on your Plex server. There should be a Plex entry on the main browse page in the WiiM home app (check under manage services too in case it’s toggled off there).

Try updating the app again from the App Store (or delete and re install) as they did an update overnight.
Hi, seems I was just getting ahead of myself, WiiM emailed today saying they had pushed the Plex-enabled firmware version 5.2.628556. Installed and Plex appeared, logged in and it seems to be working fine. Cheers

My Plex is not on my LAN, but on an external server (WAN).
Is that possible with this Beta?

Appreciate the work everyone is doing to beta test, but can't say home disappointed I am this this isn't actual PlexAmp.

Someone had asked earlier in the thread why would that matter, instead of just using your phone and casting. For me, I have two Raspberry Pis that I'm using as PlexAmp clients. One of them is plugged into my Wiim, which I use for my multi-zone audio system.

Would love to ditch the Raspberry Pi and just do everything through the Wiim, as I'm sure it would sound a lot better. Plus, it's one less thing to turn on, turn off, etc.

And, I'd gladly upgrade from my Wiim Pro to the Pro+, Ultra or whatever for that functionality in a heartbeat. Keeping fingers crossed it's still somewhere down the roadmap...
Stupid move, headless Plexamp would have been the easier integration and provided a much better experience.

Stupid move, headless Plexamp would have been the easier integration and provided a much better experience.
Couldn’t agree more. Don’t know why they decided for the harder route to get a inferior result.
I will continue to use LMS - missing the awesome Plex mixes though.

Couldn’t agree more. Don’t know why they decided for the harder route to get a inferior result.
It is a mistaken concept that many manufacturers (HEOS) follow that you want to be all in on their ecosystem. I would rather Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, Plexamp or maybe one day Qobuz connect than do it all in an app that has less features and lags behind the actual app. Qobuz and Tidal integration are so much worse than using the actual clients and now Plexamp is too.

Reactions: vdp
I think it is easier for WiiM developers to move on a known terrain starting by integrating Plex as a source and managing the playback in a proprietary (and well known) application. We have the first link between the two platforms, let's see the next move.

I think it is easier for WiiM developers to move on a known terrain starting by integrating Plex as a source and managing the playback in a proprietary (and well known) application. We have the first link between the two platforms, let's see the next move.
That is how bad software comes into existence putting technology choices before considering the best solution

That is how bad software comes into existence putting technology choices before considering the best solution
I think we haven't yet seen WiiM's solution, just the first step. Moreover it should be recognized WiiM's reactivity in approaching this integration and providing something usable in short time, IMHO

I think we haven't yet seen WiiM's solution, just the first step. Moreover it should be recognized WiiM's reactivity in approaching this integration and providing something usable in short time, IMHO
Except the beta testers have seen it so we know what the solution is

No, it will only appear there if you have DLNA enabled on your Plex server. There should be a Plex entry on the main browse page in the WiiM home app (check under manage services too in case it’s toggled off there).

Try updating the app again from the App Store (or delete and re install) as they did an update overnight.
Can you post a screenshot so we can see how it looks?

Just got updated Wiim Home app from IOS App Store and Plex now works well. In fact looks a lot like Plex Amp. Very nice implementation. Only thing missing is a Genre selection. Which is odd. Everything else like history, recommendations etc is showing. Thanks Wiim team. Looks great so far.
Any pic?

Except the beta testers have seen it so we know what the solution is
I was one of the beta testers so I know what is available to date. What I mean is: I think that WiiM know that some users would like to have the Plex music cast feature. As it is not a technologically prohibitive feature, if it fits the roadmap we will see it. Optimistic view? Maybe but, why not? That's why I write that we may have seen only the first half of the complete integration

Back