Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure the LMS aficionados will jump in, but I understood that since the demise of squeezebox.com, you can set up your own local LMS (on an raspberry pi for example)and continue to use your squeezebox touch. Also, all WiiM devices bar the Mini have an inbuilt Squeezelite client and support output from LMS.
Yeah, if I knew how to build an program a raspberry or whatever. Also, they are a bit pricey. Last I heard it would cost around $350 to build one of those things. Again, I don't have a clue how. What is an LMS?

Hang on why does your Squeezebox Touch no longer get Spotify? It will if you run an LMS server.
It lost access years ago when they took it all down. I don't know what an LMS server is and I don't want to buy another computer. I don't have that kind of income. I think I can still get Pandora on it, I'm not sure I have not tried it in a long time. Pandora is not my go to anyway.

Yeah, if I knew how to build an program a raspberry or whatever. Also, they are a bit pricey. Last I heard it would cost around $350 to build one of those things. Again, I don't have a clue how. What is an LMS?
Where did you hear a Pi would cost $350 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have a phone, but only 2GB data, I don't use it for that, I can't operate it in that way. I have a tablet, so both can be used for "setup", but not daily operation because they would go dead half way through an album as they do not hold charge long.
by "compatible" I mean just a streamer that I can integrate into my component system, not an amp, preamp, phono stage, and everything else I already have and don't need to swap out. For example, I can't integrate the Ultra into my system because it is a full preamp and will override or I would need to swap out my existing preamp and phono stage and everything.

Assuming you connect your phone or tablet to your home Wifi network (and have the correct settings), you will not be using any of your cellular data plan.

You can absolutely integrate a Wiim streamer and others into your system without swapping anything out. You do not have to use the volume control on the Wiim. You can set it to fixed output. You do not need to use any of the inputs on the Wiim that you do not want to. You can use either the analog or digital output of the Wiim to connect it to the rest of your system.

For example, I have a streamer connected to my stereo. I have one input in use on the streamer -- ethernet. I run the digital output from it into my DAC and from there to my pre-amp. I have the volume on the streamer set to fixed, so I use the volume control on the pre-amp. If I did not have a DAC, I would have connected the analog output of the streamer directly to my pre-amp.

Roaming said:
I have a tablet, so both can be used for "setup", but not daily operation because they would go dead half way through an album as they do not hold charge long.

When you use the Wiim for streaming, it is connecting directly to the streaming service. Your tablet would not be needed. It could be turned off. It will be useful for browsing for music to listen to, but you could also use your PC for that as long as it is connected to the same network as the Wiim.

Assuming you connect your phone or tablet to your home Wifi network (and have the correct settings), you will not be using any of your cellular data plan.

You can absolutely integrate a Wiim streamer and others into your system without swapping anything out. You do not have to use the volume control on the Wiim. You can set it to fixed output. You do not need to use any of the inputs on the Wiim that you do not want to. You can use either the analog or digital output of the Wiim to connect it to the rest of your system.

For example, I have a streamer connected to my stereo. I have one input in use on the streamer -- ethernet. I run the digital output from it into my DAC and from there to my pre-amp. I have the volume on the streamer set to fixed, so I use the volume control on the pre-amp. If I did not have a DAC, I would have connected the analog output of the streamer directly to my pre-amp.
Yes, I do have the phone or tablet on WiFi when home, true.
The problem is that the batteries die quick and I have no way of having them plugged in while using to listen through my system. I also can't stand the interface Spotify uses for Android, which is both my tablet and phone. I have my tablet only for initial setup of stuff, I don't use it for anything else. I try to avoid using my phone at all, it is a royal pain. I use it as a phone when away from home, that is all it is supposed to be.

Ok, so I could connect the Ultra then. The question then becomes:
Doesn't all that other stuff on it get in the signal path?
It also seems like a waste of money to get it just for streaming. Paying $329 for a makeshift preamp that streams and not use all it offers doesn't make much sense. If I were to use all it offers it would be a severe downgrade in sound for me. If it were just a streamer like the Squeezebox, I'd pay $250 without much thought.

When you use the Wiim for streaming, it is connecting directly to the streaming service. Your tablet would not be needed. It could be turned off. It will be useful for browsing for music to listen to, but you could also use your PC for that as long as it is connected to the same network as the Wiim.
My PC is in the bedroom, not in the living room near the system. I would want to use the screen on the Wiim to get to the music. Yes, I would get up from the chair to do so if needed. To go into another room and then back to the other every time is a different story.

My PC is in the bedroom, not in the living room near the system. I would want to use the screen on the Wiim to get to the music. Yes, I would get up from the chair to do so if needed. To go into another room and then back to the other every time is a different story.
I wouldn't count on being able to access/search for music on the WiiM Ultra's display at some point. It's limited to showing "now playing" info with album art and scrolling through the current album/playlists. The Ultra, just like the other WiiM devices until now is and probably will always be an endpoint for other apps or streaming services running on your phone or computer.

.. which I don't mind a single bit as I don't see myself getting out of the couch to use a virtual keyboard on the 3,5 inch display of my streamer ;)

* edit: the feature list shows that its USB host port can be used to connect a storage device for local music playback and to setup a DLNA server, but still this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to search for files on the screen.

Last edited:
Yes, I do have the phone or tablet on WiFi when home, true.
The problem is that the batteries die quick and I have no way of having them plugged in while using to listen through my system. I also can't stand the interface Spotify uses for Android, which is both my tablet and phone. I have my tablet only for initial setup of stuff, I don't use it for anything else. I try to avoid using my phone at all, it is a royal pain. I use it as a phone when away from home, that is all it is supposed to be.
Excuse me, but this all sounds rather contrived. No offence, But your requirement profile applies to very few users. This is probably the reason why you won't find such a streamer on the market.

Excuse me, but this all sounds rather contrived. No offence, But your requirement profile applies to very few users. This is probably the reason why you won't find such a streamer on the market.
Yes, I must agree. I am old school. That said, I am looking for something simple like the old Squeezebox, not an integrated amp or something with no screen so I don't know what is happening. I also don't want to rely on bluetooth to play music, that would drain the battery in my tablet (or phone) in less than 20 minutes easily.

I will just go without a streamer for the big system because I don't listen to streams, I mostly research and have background from time to time so sound quality is not a mission critical matter. I have vinyl records and CDs for that activity.
I will just stick with my PC in the other room as usual with my studio monitors, that is more than good enough.

Yes, I must agree. I am old school. That said, I am looking for something simple like the old Squeezebox, not an integrated amp or something with no screen so I don't know what is happening. I also don't want to rely on bluetooth to play music, that would drain the battery in my tablet (or phone) in less than 20 minutes easily.

I will just go without a streamer for the big system because I don't listen to streams, I mostly research and have background from time to time so sound quality is not a mission critical matter. I have vinyl records and CDs for that activity.
I will just stick with my PC in the other room as usual with my studio monitors, that is more than good enough.

I think you are far too dismissive of something like a Raspberry Pi as an LMS instance. No, it doesn't cost anything close to $350, however some amount of DIY and learning would be required.

Maybe for you the best bet is to install an instance of LMS on your PC. That can be Windows, macOS, or Linux, it's free and it would restore the lost functions on your venerable Squeezebox. Again a small amount of learning would be required to get that LMS instance configured, but they have a great support site if you bring the right attitude.

When I looked about three years ago. I would not know how to build one anyway, so it did not matter.
It's easy, if you can follow step by step instructions. Burn an operating system to a microSD card, insert it then plug it into a power supply. The only building involved is putting it in a case.

I also don't want to rely on bluetooth to play music, that would drain the battery in my tablet (or phone) in less than 20 minutes easily.
You don‘t need to use Bluetooth to stream with a WiiM. WiiM itself serves the stream. Your mobile device works just like a remote control, where you select the album, song or playlist you want to hear. After starting music you can turn off the mobile device! Anything happens via wifi. It‘s important to understand this!

In your case you could connect a WiiM mini (for example) to your system and control it with your tablet. Both need to be connected with same wifi. No Bluetooth needed! No battery draining on your tablet.

Last edited:
I think you are far too dismissive of something like a Raspberry Pi as an LMS instance. No, it doesn't cost anything close to $350, however some amount of DIY and learning would be required.

Maybe for you the best bet is to install an instance of LMS on your PC. That can be Windows, macOS, or Linux, it's free and it would restore the lost functions on your venerable Squeezebox. Again a small amount of learning would be required to get that LMS instance configured, but they have a great support site if you bring the right attitude.
Well, if I don't have to learn 2 years of programming or something, I could try to find the LMS and install on my PC. I'm busy trying to learn video editing on my own (no choice) and that is not an easy task. So if this is something I can pick up in half a day or a full day or something, I may give it a go for giggles. I know I can't build a Raspberry Pi for sure, I don't even have electronics or soldering skills anymore. I used to be able to read electronics schematics and resistors, etc., but that was 35 to 40 years ago, it has been too long.

Well, if I don't have to learn 2 years of programming or something, I could try to find the LMS and install on my PC. I'm busy trying to learn video editing on my own (no choice) and that is not an easy task. So if this is something I can pick up in half a day or a full day or something, I may give it a go for giggles. I know I can't build a Raspberry Pi for sure, I don't even have electronics or soldering skills anymore. I used to be able to read electronics schematics and resistors, etc., but that was 35 to 40 years ago, it has been too long.
No soldering involved with a Raspberry Pi. They don't sell you a board and a bunch of components.

You don‘t need to use Bluetooth to stream with a WiiM. WiiM itself serves the stream. Your mobile device works just like a remote control, where you select the album, song or playlist you want to hear. After starting music you can turn off the mobile device! Anything happens via wifi. It‘s important to understand this!

In your case you could connect a WiiM mini (for example) to your system and control it with your tablet. Both need to be connected with same wifi. No Bluetooth needed! No battery draining on your tablet.
Oh, wait a minute....Ok, so no bluetooth involved. I tried doing this with my Alexa unit and it lasted about an hour and a half before the battery on my tablet went from 100% to 32%. Every device I have is on the same network. Alexa connects to my stereo system via bluetooth, I wonder if I was connecting the tablet to Alexa via bluetooth (I can't recall), that would not make much sense though because Alexa is on the same WiFi network. It is just a PITA using her for such activity.
If what you suggest doesn't drain the battery like I experienced I could get away with a Wiim puck. Of course, I would not turn the tablet off because I would need to leave it on to make selections and such.
Of course, the way I use streaming though suggests a Wiim would not necessarily be needed, but would be better than going through an Alexa unit, only in the instance of background music obviously, but research is best left to the PC (faster and better interface for starters).

Hmm, I may consider just getting a Wiim puck thingy if that is all that is needed, otherwise I'd spring for one of the other units if needed.

(The Squeezebox has been relegated to nostalgia a few years ago and while it may be interesting to get t up and running again, it is not a priority).

I think part of the problem is that I'm an analog guy stuck in a digital world.

No soldering involved with a Raspberry Pi. They don't sell you a board and a bunch of components.
Oh, they come all assembled now, just get a case? It must have been the 1900s the last time I looked. Back when I looked they were kits that one had to build and one also had to research to buy a case or have one custom made! That is really good to know. That said, I like the idea of just loading LMS on the PC or something since it is already on network and it is dead easy to get the squeezebox on network and all. As I said though, the Squeezebox has become nostalgia, though it would be interesting to get it up and running again, I just learned that getting a Wiim puck or something may be a better way to go if I want more convenience.
I don't do a lot of background music with streaming, but enough to maybe warrant it.

Installing LMS on your PC is probably the way to go. I'm not sure how the Raspberry Pi performs acting as the actual server. It's plenty powerful to use as a LMS client/player, but that's probably not what you're after if you still have an original Squeezebox, I suppose.

If you can get the server side working, then there'd be no need to buy the WiiM Mini either. You'll be able to access your collection on the Squeezebox itself or through the web-interface on your phone, computer and use the Squeezebox as the streaming endpoint :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back