Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
m
re. Ultra analog output, I've posted a bit of feedback in a couple of threads.
Much, much better than the pro. My son came into the room briefly while I was comparing, and he described the pro as 'flat'; my chosen adjective was 'boring'.

In fact, the actual word I used to describe the Ultra when i first tried its analog out (immediately after listening to the same track on the pro) was 'Wow'. It really is that much better than the pro.
I've no idea how it compares to the pro plus as I don't have one.
Again, as I wrote elsewhere, the ultra digital out to my hegel sounded better than the ultra analog out. Better enough to be noticable, but the ultra was still really very good.

Now, some might not like the next bit, but almost all of my ultra analog testing was done with the supplied cables.
I have "better" cables (or at least, much more expensive ones), but as they don't fit in the Ultra's recess I was unable to try with them.
Who knows if that may have made a difference...
the pro (same thing as the mini but a little more neatly implemented) is so far behind in terms of quality in analog output that for the moment the comparison is of little interest...frankly...

Again, as I wrote elsewhere, the ultra digital out to my hegel sounded better than the ultra analog out. Better enough to be noticable, but the ultra was still really very good.
Thanks for the info 👍🏻

Guess you have used the Pro with digital out to Hegel before you got the Ultra? Do they sound similiar with digital out or was the Ultra still an improvement over the Pro?

the pro (same thing as the mini but a little more neatly implemented) is so far behind in terms of quality in analog output that for the moment the comparison is of little interest...frankly...
Yes, I can fully appreciate that point of view.
The other side of that is that I felt the ultra analog out was really very close to using digital out to the hegel (and my other dacs), even with the cheap cables.
If I only had the ultra analog out I'd still be very pleased and happy to listen to music all day; it was enjoyable, engaging and not fatiguing.

Guess you have used the Pro with digital out to Hegel before you got the Ultra? Do they sound similiar with digital out or was the Ultra still an improvement over the Pro?
Yes, used to use a mini, then a pro, then the ultra for a while, using a pro again there now as the ultra is elsewhere.
I don't think I could tell them apart.

Yes, I can fully appreciate that point of view.
The other side of that is that I felt the ultra analog out was really very close to using digital out to the hegel (and my other dacs), even with the cheap cables.
If I only had the ultra analog out I'd still be very pleased and happy to listen to music all day; it was enjoyable, engaging and not fatiguing.

Yes, used to use a mini, then a pro, then the ultra for a while, using a pro again there now as the ultra is elsewhere.
I don't think I could tell them apart.
it's a "music lover" posture that intellectually I rather like to defend..but to be honest I very, very quickly gave up on the analog mini output (or same with pro among friends...)

(afterwards it also depends on what we are listening to and our background - requirement, of its mode of "consumption" of music etc.)

Even this uber high end subjectivist can’t help himself in saying he loves it.

I’m not sure what cognitive dissonance was involved to self-justify the phrase “85% of the performance but 100% of the musical enjoyment”, and that this involved “Creeping into the high end”, but clearly the penny is starting to drop, even in these rarified circles.

Favourably comparing $330 of Ultra with $15,000 of ‘audiophile’ goodies?

Is a phrase like "cognitive dissonances" they style in which you claim respect? If I would have to name the less respectful crusader here my answer would be clear.

Is a phrase like "cognitive dissonances" they style in which you claim respect? If I would have to name the less respectful crusader here my answer would be clear.

I think I’ve deciphered that.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. His comments appear to be oxymorons. Do you think otherwise?

I think it’s perfectly fair game to comment on reviews from elsewhere on the internet. That’s a completely different issue to how we talk to each other, and the respect we demonstrate, here at the forums.

Your post appears to contain nothing, not a single word, which isn’t there for the sole purpose of turning my post into an argument.

Last edited:
Even this uber high end subjectivist can’t help himself in saying he loves it.

I’m not sure what cognitive dissonance was involved to self-justify the phrase “85% of the performance but 100% of the musical enjoyment”, and that this involved “Creeping into the high end”, but clearly the penny is starting to drop, even in these rarified circles.

Favourably comparing $330 of Ultra with $15,000 of ‘audiophile’ goodies?

There's something special with hi-fi products and audiophile community. If you want to buy a cap, there's a huge choice and range of prices from, let's say, a 5 euros unbranded cap to up to 200 euros for Italian designer brands. Assuming decent quality fabric, a 20 euros cap will perform exactly the same as a 200 euros cap in terms of sun protection and keeping you fresh. No one will defend that the expensive cap is better at that task but folks who prefer the expensive one can of course point to a design they prefer or the image of yourself that a giving brand transmits.

The point is quite similar with audio equipment (especially with streamers). If a given piece of equipment had being properly designed, matches your tick list in terms of features and measures well (we are frequently taking about the inaudible territory), why there's a need in certain collective to convince us (and themselves) that the expensive cap is better at protecting us from the sun? At the end of the day, your free to choose the equipment you want and if building quality, look and high price are in you priority list, great, but this does not necessarily need to be related with performance (even if your system is really sensitive or you have golden ears).

He says the WiiM has, and I quote directly, “a little more body in the midrange”.

So let’s be clear, if the WiiM’s frequency response measures as flat, he’s provably talking nonsense.

L'avantage d'être en Europe avec une sortie légèrement retardée est que cela nous donne la possibilité de lire les critiques et de demander à d'autres de faire un test Bea de masse pour nous.
excusez moi..mais je ne comprends pas...car en vous lisant de toute façon tout ne peut être que """ transparent"", sans problèmes, loin des "seuils d'audibilité", très bien mesuré etc etc...
celle de onlyoneme , qui n'est qu'un début, ne semblant pas vous "parler"... ,
pourquoi attendre les critiques etc....??

drôle, une expression française me vient à l'esprit...
"les conseilleurs ne sont pas les payeurs"

Last edited:
excusez moi..mais je ne comprends pas...car en vous lisant de toute façon tout ne peut être que """ transparent"", sans problèmes, loin des "seuils d'audibilité", très bien mesuré etc etc...
celle de onlyoneme , qui n'est qu'un début, ne semblant pas vous "parler"... ,
pourquoi attendre les critiques etc....??

drôle, une expression française me vient à l'esprit...
"les conseilleurs ne sont pas les payeurs"

In English?

it's just that it's retranslated automatically on the forum... I left it like this in the end to please you and smartplug...
but it's only two more clicks..
after that I only really came back in relation to onlyoneme's review..and as it doesn't seem surprisingly interesting...
i m going to go back to planting radishes.....,-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back