Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
A true first impression/unboxing it seems :)

* Those visualizers when using phono/optical input need to go šŸ˜…

He likes the ultra.
In the comments section :

ā€I like the Eversolo DMP-A6 a lot, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to experience something different. I believe the Op-amp and the system surrounding the DAC chips is more important. I really liked the Cambridge Audio and the Arcam streamer with their level of refinement in the sound.Itā€™s great to know that all these budget streamers are giving us a lot for our money.My advice is to get the WiiM Pro Plus or Ultra and get a good DAC and you will have better sound quality than the Eversolo, but for looks I like the Eversolo and the HIFI Rose!ā€

He likes the ultra.
In the comments section :

ā€I like the Eversolo DMP-A6 a lot, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to experience something different. I believe the Op-amp and the system surrounding the DAC chips is more important. I really liked the Cambridge Audio and the Arcam streamer with their level of refinement in the sound.Itā€™s great to know that all these budget streamers are giving us a lot for our money.My advice is to get the WiiM Pro Plus or Ultra and get a good DAC and you will have better sound quality than the Eversolo, but for looks I like the Eversolo and the HIFI Rose!ā€
He says to get an external DAC. Thatā€™s certainly not a great impression of the Ultraā€™s DAC. Anyone have other sound impressions/comparisons between the Ultra and other DACs yet?!

I have to say, Iā€™m rather perplexed at the lack of reviews.

The Ultra is out there in the wild, itā€™s been sent to beta testers, itā€™s been sent to at least one video reviewer, and some people have had their orders fulfilled.

Iā€™d have thought theyā€™d have secured half a dozen or a dozen from the first batch for the main reviewers, Darko and Erin, Randy and Amir, the usual crew.

But that first review from Audio Advice came out over a week ago, thenā€¦radio silence.

I have to say, Iā€™m rather perplexed at the lack of reviews.

The Ultra is out there in the wild, itā€™s been sent to beta testers, itā€™s been sent to at least one video reviewer, and some people have had their orders fulfilled.

Iā€™d have thought theyā€™d have secured half a dozen or a dozen from the first batch for the main reviewers, Darko and Erin, Randy and Amir, the usual crew.

But that first review from Audio Advice came out over a week ago, thenā€¦radio silence.
On YouTube it's one AI generated review after the other... šŸ„²šŸ„²

Ough! On Auditorium in Germany, where I ordered the Ultra 2 days ago, the release date just changed to September 19 šŸ„²

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718-223024.png
    Screenshot_20240718-223024.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
Please give us your subjective feedback. Thanks!
re. Ultra analog output, I've posted a bit of feedback in a couple of threads.
Much, much better than the pro. My son came into the room briefly while I was comparing, and he described the pro as 'flat'; my chosen adjective was 'boring'.

In fact, the actual word I used to describe the Ultra when i first tried its analog out (immediately after listening to the same track on the pro) was 'Wow'. It really is that much better than the pro.
I've no idea how it compares to the pro plus as I don't have one.
Again, as I wrote elsewhere, the ultra digital out to my hegel sounded better than the ultra analog out. Better enough to be noticable, but the ultra was still really very good.

Now, some might not like the next bit, but almost all of my ultra analog testing was done with the supplied cables.
I have "better" cables (or at least, much more expensive ones), but as they don't fit in the Ultra's recess I was unable to try with them.
Who knows if that may have made a difference...

Last edited:
re. Ultra analog output, I've posted a bit of feedback in a couple of threads.
Much, much better than the pro. My son came into the room briefly while I was comparing, and he described the pro as 'flat'; my chosen adjective was 'boring'.

In fact, the actual word I used to describe the Ultra when i first tried it's analog out (immediately after listening to the same track on the pro) was 'Wow'. It really is that much better than the pro.
I've no idea how it compares to the pro plus as I don't have one.
Again, as I wrote elsewhere, the ultra digital out to my hegel sounded better than the ultra analog out. Better enough to be noticable, but the ultra was still really very good.

Now, some might not like the next bit, but almost all of my ultra analog testing was done with the supplied cables.
I have "better" cables (or at least, much more expensive ones), but as they don't fit in the Ultra's recess I was unable to try with them.
Who knows if that may have made a difference...
That part you stated better rca cable. Audioholic states that this so called high quality cable doesnā€™t provide better sound than the rca that came from your unit. His data came from precision audio and not from subjective or horse mouth. The extra money just buy you rf shielding and fancy looking cable. Rf shielding matters if you have such issue otherwise it wonā€™t enhance the signal that goes out. I was once skeptical on high quality cable and tried well known brand audio quest. This brand is not cheap in fact they are expensive as you go up in ladder. I did not hear difference so I just return it. I know someone will say snake oil šŸ˜‚

That part you stated better rca cable. Audioholic states that this so called high quality cable doesnā€™t provide better sound than the rca that came from your unit. His data came from precision audio and not from subjective or horse mouth. The extra money just buy you rf shielding and fancy looking cable. Rf shielding matters if you have such issue otherwise it wonā€™t enhance the signal that goes out. I was once skeptical on high quality cable and tried well known brand audio quest. This brand is not cheap in fact they are expensive as you go up in ladder. I did not hear difference so I just return it. I know someone will say snake oil šŸ˜‚
You did ask for subjective feedback, didn't you?

Doesn't get much more subjective than with analogue line level and speaker cables ... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back