Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
the longer written review says that the Ultra is better sounding than bluesound node and equal with the six times more expensive eversolo dmp a8
That’s just hard to believe. Audio manufacturers sets price points based on comparable performance from competitions. 100 doesn’t not meant to compete to 1000. As usual, subjective review.

That’s just hard to believe. Audio manufacturers sets price points based on comparable performance from competitions. 100 doesn’t not meant to compete to 1000. As usual, subjective review.
If we look at the actual hardware, this ultra is probably sounding better than bluesound node and probably equal to the Eversolo dmp a6 , the same dac , smps etc….
If thats true, the Ultra is still a bargain.

WiiM has not historically priced its products at the same level as the competition. They have had much lower prices compared to other products performance .

Does anyone know if the Ultra would work in my use case and allow me to control the volume using the TV remote (preferably using optical from the Wiim Ultra to speakers) and if I had to use the RCA connection if it would cut out the popping sound?
Yes, at least most probably. :)

Volume control of the AVR/Amp/Pre-amp only works if both parties support HDMI CEC along with HDMI ARC. The remote tells the TV to change the volume and the TV passes on this request over HDMI to the AVR/Amp/Pre-amp. Generally, there is only one ARC/CEC compatible HDMI port on every TV and you have to make sure to use the correct one.

CEC must be enabled on the TV (where it might have funny proprietary names to make the customer's life a little harder) and on the Ultra (the setting is available through vthe WiiM Home app for Android or iOS). Maybe you didn't have CEC on your TV, but it's more likely the extractor simply doesn't support it.

Also, the HDMI cable must support the HDMI 1.4 specification. Newer HDMI specs are backwards compatible. Bad cables do exist. It's best to go with a certified HDMI cable.

You should also obey all the above tips and tricks. There is still a chance that your exact make and model of TV doesn't want to talk to the Ultra. The older the TV, the more likely it is to fail. Maybe you could post your exact model name so others using the Ultra or the Amp might have first hand experience.

Last edited:
Yes, at least most probably. :)

Volume control of the AVR/Amp/Pre-amp only works if both parties support HDMI CEC along with HDMI ARC. The remote tells the TV to change the volume and the TV passes on this request over HDMI to the AVR/Amp/Pre-amp. Generally, there is only one ARC/CEC compatible HDMI port on every TV and you have to make sure to use the correct one.

CEC must be enabled on the TV (where it might have funny proprietary names to make customers life a little harder) and on the Ultra (the setting is available through vthe WiiM Home app for Android or iOS). Maybe you didn't have CEC on your TV, but it's more likely the extractor simply doesn't support it.

Also, the HDMI cable must support the HDMI 1.4 specification. Newer HDMI specs are backwards compatible. Bad cables do exist. It's best to go with a certified HDMI cable.

You should also obey all the above tips and tricks. There is still a chance that your exact make and model of TV doesn't want to talk to the Ultra. The older the TV, the more likely it is to fail. Maybe you could post your exact model name so others using the Ultra or the Amp might have first hand experience.
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation! The TV I have is the LG 50NANO756PR and I was using the HDMI 2 port on this which is designated as the eARC/ARC port. Unsure about the policy regarding external links but the ARC extractor is the following on Amazon: "UNSTINCER HDMI (e) ARC Audio Extractor 2.0/5.1 +192KHz DAC Converter, Digital Spdif Optical Toslink Coaxial to Analog RCA 3.5mm Jack Coaxial Spdif, Return Channel Audio Adapter for TV Phono Amplifier". I had definitely set CEC on the TV but as you say it's likely this extractor doesn't support it!

So if I'm understanding correctly, as the Wiim Ultra has a pre-amp with CEC compatibility it should be able to use this to control the volume and this would be reflected through the optical cable to the speakers?

If we look at the actual hardware, this ultra is probably sounding better than bluesound node and probably equal to the Eversolo dmp a6 , the same dac , smps etc….
If thats true, the Ultra is still a bargain.

WiiM has not historically priced its products at the same level as the competition. They have had much lower prices compared to other products performance .
Until it get to ASR, and see what Amir has to say. Don’t get me wrong I’m big fan of wiim. I have all their product except ultra which you can buy but wait weeks to get.

Steve Huffs text review , much longer .
He says the ultra sounds better than anything below 1K .

Did you read Andrew Robinson on wiim amp? I agree with what most what he said. I would take his review over the other one where use exaggerated words. I’m hardcore audiophile and I listen to both objective and subjective. I then listen that product myself and decided myself. What sounds pleasing to my ear may not pleased others as we have different taste how music presented itself. You will hear Andrew saying 2 dimensional sound meaning flat lifeless sound. I have been watching his video and he prefer sounds that has depth and width which he perceive 3d. Also, when sound produce echo or sound that comming from a tunnel also perceive huge stereo image and 3d. Everyone has its own taste nothing is wrong and right. Everyone is different.

So if I'm understanding correctly, as the Wiim Ultra has a pre-amp with CEC compatibility it should be able to use this to control the volume and this would be reflected through the optical cable to the speakers?
Yes, absolutely correct.

CEC is also part of the HDMI spec, just as ARC. But it can be supported and/or enabled independently with better gear. CEC is also used to power on/off the devices simultaneously and not everybody wants that.

When using other sources than TV you still might need the WiiM remote or WiiM Home app to control the volume. I understand that this is currently not your main use case. Just be prepared to like the rich variety of music services supported by WiiM directly. :)

Pretty new to a lot of home audio so sorry if this is all very basic but I have a pair of active speakers which I was hoping to connect to my TV via the HDMI ARC input on the Wiim Ultra in order to cut out the speaker remote (once a baseline audio level is set) and just use the TV remote for volume control from that point on.

I've attempted to use a HDMI ARC audio extractor and run the HDMI ARC from the TV to the extractor and then an optical cable to the speakers. This however didn't let me control the volume via the TV remote. I then tried using RCA from the extractor to the speakers and while the volume control worked using the TV remote there was a large pop each time I turned the TV on/off which I didn't trust so I've ruled that out for now. Does anyone know if the Ultra would work in my use case and allow me to control the volume using the TV remote (preferably using optical from the Wiim Ultra to speakers) and if I had to use the RCA connection if it would cut out the popping sound?
To use the TVs remote i think you must use the Ultra’s internal volume-control. My Pro does not do volume-adjustment when connected with optical, so i guess you have to use analoge RCA from Ultra to Your speakers. And of course HDMI directly from TV to the Ultra’s HDMI ARC input.

Yes, absolutely correct.

CEC is also part of the HDMI spec, just as ARC. But it can be supported and/or enabled independently with better gear. CEC is also used to power on/off the devices simultaneously and not everybody wants that.

When using other sources than TV you still might need the WiiM remote or WiiM Home app to control the volume. I understand that this is currently not your main use case. Just be prepared to like the rich variety of music services supported by WiiM directly. :)
Thanks so much for your help with this! :)

To use the TVs remote i think you must use the Ultra’s internal volume-control. My Pro does not do volume-adjustment when connected with optical, so i guess you have to use analoge RCA from Ultra to Your speakers. And of course HDMI directly from TV to the Ultra’s HDMI ARC input.
My WiiM Pro definitely does volume adjustment while connected to an external DAC with optical. Just a matter of toggling the fixed volume option. :)

Pretty new to a lot of home audio so sorry if this is all very basic but I have a pair of active speakers which I was hoping to connect to my TV via the HDMI ARC input on the Wiim Ultra in order to cut out the speaker remote (once a baseline audio level is set) and just use the TV remote for volume control from that point on.

I've attempted to use a HDMI ARC audio extractor and run the HDMI ARC from the TV to the extractor and then an optical cable to the speakers. This however didn't let me control the volume via the TV remote. I then tried using RCA from the extractor to the speakers and while the volume control worked using the TV remote there was a large pop each time I turned the TV on/off which I didn't trust so I've ruled that out for now. Does anyone know if the Ultra would work in my use case and allow me to control the volume using the TV remote (preferably using optical from the Wiim Ultra to speakers) and if I had to use the RCA connection if it would cut out the popping sound?
Not sure what's the issue with the popping sound, but it seems like the Ultra is exactly what you need. As stated before: HDMI CEC will allow your tv and its remote to control the volume. The WiiM Ultra will act as a preamp for your active speakers so you'll be able to set your speakers to a fixed volume and from then on control the listening level with the WiiM :)

With a 12v trigger device like this, you'll be able to let your amp/active speakers turn on automatically even when the Ultra starts sending audio.

When using a USB hard drive does the WiiM app and the Ultra display show album art from DSF SACD file rips? I have a hard drive connected to a Technics SL-G700 CD/SACD player and the Technics app does not show DSF file album art. It displays album art fine for PCM files. I have an Eversolo DMP-A6 and it displays DSF file album art on the Eversolo app and on the display of the DMP-A6.

Also does the Ultra have a max TB size for connected USB hard drives?

That’s at least a step forward and normally means they’re now expecting stock..
(Btw, it’s sufficient to paste just up to the product code I.e. the part before /ref= - the rest is junk ;) )

Just recieved a mail from Auditorium:
WiiM has informed us today that there will be delays in delivery and would like to apologise to you for the fact that your Ultra - High-Res-Streamer und Vorverstärker is also affected by this delay. The expected arrival date in stock of your Ultra - High-Res-Streamer und Vorverstärker has now changed to 30.08.24 (dd.mm.yy) .
So I guess some of us have to wait till september. 😬

Can I ask if I need to point the mic of the ipad to the speaker I test? or simple point the mis of the ipad to the ceiling when measuring? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back