Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I received a call from my contact at the dealer. Asked me why I cancelled my order for the Ultra. Told him why.
The more interesting thing was that at least for Germany "there are signs" that they have to correct the now advertised delivery end of August again and hope they have it in house early enough for Christmas business.

Yesterday I received a call from my contact at the dealer. Asked me why I cancelled my order for the Ultra. Told him why.
The more interesting thing was that at least for Germany "there are signs" that they have to correct the now advertised delivery end of August again and hope they have it in house early enough for Christmas business.
Are there any indications whether it is related to technical aspects? Or simply a lack of availability?

Are there any indications whether it is related to technical aspects? Or simply a lack of availability?
Er wird den Teufel tun mir das irgendwie zu erklären 😉 keine Ahnung ob das zu übersetzen ist.
He will do the devil to explain it to me somehow. But it reminds me personally on a similar situation. As soon as I hear something new and confirmed I'll keep the forum informed.

Last edited:
Praise for the effort but he could as well write the review down. This looks so bad/unprofessional, why no footage of the Wiim Ultra in action and perhaps sound demo?
The video is ugly and the content is at least dubious. It is more of a promotional event for the Geshelli DAC. Not worth watching.

I had a bit of a giggle at Steve Huff’s video, but he has a text review up, and makes some good points.

Specifically, he notes the Ultra’s versatility. He points out that you can just use it as a streamer, or just a DAC, or as a streamer DAC, or as a digital pre amp.

All of the above configurations gives you the opportunity to utilise the PEQ, room correction, and bass management functionality.

I could imagine someone buying it who just needed a DAC with the EQ. Or someone using it just as a streamer with the EQ, but use their own DAC. It’s massively flexible.

Of course, any of the above wouldn’t be much use if the sound as poor, but so far things at stacking up well. Both of the ‘serious’ reviews we’ve seen, apart from reservations some may have about the ‘audiofool’ language, basically say it sounds good, that the functionality works, and that it’s astonishing value for money.

We all have different approaches, and I’m glad for that. But the subjectivist reviews so far stack up, and I’m hoping for an objectivist review or two to match.

Where heck are they? :ROFLMAO:

The video is ugly and the content is at least dubious. It is more of a promotional event for the Geshelli DAC. Not worth watching.

I’m on a train on my way to York, and haven’t bought my earbuds with me. The carriage is crowded, so I can’t really access it.

However, given the comments already, I’m glad you lot have saved me the time and bother.

Darko and his mate Srajan did another one of their podcast-videos. The entry part mentioned a kind of embargoes for certain YT reviews. At least interesting. (The rest of the video wasn't for me) 😉

I wonder why all the Usual suspects (Like Darko and Cheap Audioman) haven't reviewed it yet. Linkplay seems to be dropping the ball on this launch.

I wonder why all the Usual suspects (Like Darko and Cheap Audioman) haven't reviewed it yet. Linkplay seems to be dropping the ball on this launch.
May be the first part of my above mentioned video throws a little light..

My Wiim Ultra landed last evening! I have a test setup, once I get everything tested out, I'll move it to it's new home.

I will say that as a new WiiM owner/user, the WiiM Home app seems pretty clunky. I've been streaming Amazon Music on the Ultra, and it's not uncommon for it to stop playing, or when you start a song, it doesn't play for a random period of time. It's not a network issue, my signal strength is fine, I also stream Apple Music from my iPhone in this same location and it's rock solid, so seems to be an issue with the Ultra or it's implementation of the Amazon Music app within the WiiM Home app?

Overall I like the design, but music playback is sporadic, at least Amazon Music, I'll try to test other services. Ultimately I want AirPlay to work. As a side note to @WiiM Team it's almost inconceivable for a product who's main purpose in life is to stream music, not to support AirPlay...just say'in :rolleyes:

On a more positive note, the Sabre ESS DAC sounds great, very nice implementation IMHO.

EDIT: While I await WiiM to implement AIrPlay support, I have been testing Amazon Music. The lower tier that comes with Amazon Prime, which in addition to having a somewhat poor selection, with random odd transitions from one album to s, The Amazon Music playback experience is pretty bad on the Ultra. The WiiM Home app user experience is poor IMO for the free/lower Amazon Music tier. decided to try the HD/UHD Unlimited tier, and when it works, it's on and I've noticed that many more titles are in higher resolution versus Apple Music, and often artists have a larger selection of material vs Apple. That said, the Amazon Music playback experieince on the Ultra is poor in terms of stability. It randomly freezes up, sometimes it requres intervention to get it to continue playing, like pushing play/pause/play and that seems restart the stream. I've tested a lot of streaming devices with both Apple and Amazon and they were rock solid, the Ultra, not so much :confused: I do notice that WiFI shows "weak" on the Ultra, yet any other device in the exact position shows a full 5 out of 5 bars of signal strength, and have zero drops, or freeze ups while streaming. Hopefully WiiM is on this, and a fix comes out shortly.
Cal_Cobra, could your WiiM WiFi Reception issues be related to the Tube Amp (with Discrete WiFi Antenna) that is sitting directly Atop the WiiM Ultra?? Those Tubes throw RF (one of the reasons the Aiyima has the Discrete Antenna messing up its otherwise Pure Retro design), and the Antenna is likely broadcasting on the same Channel that the Internal (Patch?) Antenna of the WiiM.
Suggestion: Try separating the devices by a foot or so. Or feed the Ultra via Cat6...

I msged you with my thoughts on Roon so as to not go too off topic here. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was in a bad mood struggling with my new toy and misinterpreted what you were saying. I knew that it would not be Roon Ready, but I had thought that AirPlay would work and Roon supports AirPlay devices. I had read here about some issues with AirPlay2, but thought standard AirPlay would be ok. I also ran into several other issues, but I already described them earlier, so I won't repeat. I'm using Tidal Connect right now and I'm reasonably happy, but also hoping that Roon Certification happens soon.
Would help me too on the features of roon

Pretty new to a lot of home audio so sorry if this is all very basic but I have a pair of active speakers which I was hoping to connect to my TV via the HDMI ARC input on the Wiim Ultra in order to cut out the speaker remote (once a baseline audio level is set) and just use the TV remote for volume control from that point on.

I've attempted to use a HDMI ARC audio extractor and run the HDMI ARC from the TV to the extractor and then an optical cable to the speakers. This however didn't let me control the volume via the TV remote. I then tried using RCA from the extractor to the speakers and while the volume control worked using the TV remote there was a large pop each time I turned the TV on/off which I didn't trust so I've ruled that out for now. Does anyone know if the Ultra would work in my use case and allow me to control the volume using the TV remote (preferably using optical from the Wiim Ultra to speakers) and if I had to use the RCA connection if it would cut out the popping sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back