Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Two items are disappointing;
  1. Why does it use ES9038Q2M instead of ES9039Q2M? They are equally priced but 9039 is a later version with slightly higher specs.
  2. No balanced output - I cannot drive balanced power amps or active speakers
I believe WiiM Pro Plus + Balanced DAC be a better choice for me. I purchased a Wiim Pro Plus as soon as I saw WiiM Ultra picture a couple of weeks ago.
ESS 9039, Balanced Output and other requirements are booked for next upgraded product of WiiM Ultra, which is WiiM MAX 😍

Last edited:
The only thing on there I have use for is the USB, the screen is ok but useless from my listening position. Don't need the dac, don't need the phono input, and certainly don't need the HDMI ARC crap.
Will just keep my Pro . Until they make a pure, best quality they can streamer.

Last edited:
The only thing on there I have use for is the USB, the screen is ok but useless from my listening position. Don't need the dac, don't need the phono input, and certainly don't need the HDMI ARC crap.
Will just keep my Pro . Until they make a pure, best quality they can streamer.

tbh would have been better to have a HDMI "display out" that way can fit your own LCD for album art. ie like this

6" on eversolo? pah!

For now, as digital streamer standpoint, WiiM Pro is the end game compared to other WiiM products and competing products. Any other functions such as but not limited to subwoofer processing, Room EQ, DAC, eARC and balanced outputs can be done better with higher quality external devices.

For now, as digital streamer standpoint, WiiM Pro is the end game compared to other WiiM products and competing products. Any other functions such as but not limited to subwoofer processing, Room EQ, DAC, eARC and balanced outputs can be done better with higher quality external devices.
Totally agree.

Will be debating between the Pro Plus and the Ultra.

Use a Samsung Soundbar set up for TV, so the ultra is probably a bit overkill. My analog source is a turntable in the office, streaming via airplay to the appletv (connectd to soundbar) or to homepods around the house would be the likely use.

On the ultra, if there's an option for the second input to be either a phono or a line that would be great. I would imagine most people have a dedicated phono preamp, but the onboard phono (if it cannot be switched off) would mean that they have to use the other analog RCA in for the turntable and can';t pipe anything else in.

Doesn't seem like anything changed ADC wise, so my use case may not see any actual difference between the pro plus and the ultra

The Fixed Volume feature can be assigned to a specific input? E.g. to analog input, so I can use it as HT Bypass

If Volume has to be selected Fixed or Variable each time, it defeats the purpose of HT Bypass (and it is dangeorous)

Please tell me Wiim sized the Ultra with same footprint as the new Amp Pro so we can stack them? Ultra looks bigger than existing Amp in that pick.

Alternatively, about a separate "Amp Only" device...maybe with 100watts at 8ohm that stacks with the Ultra?

Or just whole hog, Ultra/AMP Pro+ in one box.

Wiim just nailing features and industrial design, thank you. And Apple Music High Rez. Yes, we want everything:)

The phono input can accept the MM and MC cartige? Is possible recordig from phono input? Thanks

The phono input can accept the MM and MC cartige? Is possible recordig from phono input? Thanks
No, not unless you take an output from the Ultra into a recording device, it won’t do it itself nor will it save audio to, for example, your phone from the WiiM app.

Highly doubt it's MC. That's high end vinyl stuff.

If I were a betting man it'll be MM phono stage.
You’d have lost then ;)

See this from the q&a spreadsheet link in the opening comment:

Please check the Phono Stage specifications below:
Gain: 41dB MM / 59dB MC
MM: THD+N -75dB,SNR 76dB@5mV;
MC: THD+N -58dB,SNR 56dB@0.5mV
RIAA accuracy: < ±0.5dB / 20Hz - 20kHz

Going by that logic, you wouldn’t feed an Ultra into an amp costing many times more, but that’s what I do with my existing WiiM devices…

I can bet MC owners won't be using the Wiim Ultra as a phono stage.

cheapest to most expensive

I can bet MC owners won't be using the Wiim Ultra as a phono stage.
That’s an unprovable suggestion, and WiiM wouldn’t have spent the development effort to provide MC support had they thought it wouldn’t be used.

Again, like the IR remote discussion, let’s leave it at that. Thanks

Back