New Ultra

Would be useful if someone had a massive collection say 24GB of mp3, flac, vorbis etc and see how it handles it.
Or maybe 78.3 GB of FLAC, MP3, AIFF, APE, AAC, WMA files would be even more useful? Nobody could ever ask for 78.4 or 78.5.GB and we would finally know better than WiiM does.

Reactions: vdp
Or maybe 78.3 GB of FLAC, MP3, AIFF, APE, AAC, WMA files would be even more useful? Nobody could ever ask for 78.4 or 78.5.GB and we would finally know better than WiiM does.
It wouldn't give you an idea of the scan speed, but you could probably emulate the effect of a massive collection by manipulating files.db and wiim_cache.

Alternatively, given it's not really the size that's important it would be relatively easy to create a massive collection by duplicating an existing collection.
In the conversion process of foobar2000 you can choose to output previews (10 seconds long), so convert your collection once, then copy and paste it multiple times tweaking the album name each time (just add an integer to the album each time). This would give you a big collection with a small footprint.

Last edited:
What would be useful is if WiiM would put the parameters for the type and size of HDDs the Ultra can handle on the Ultra product page. On the Ultra product page it doesn't even list USB as being an input option.

Audio Input - HDMI ARC, Optical, Line, and Phono (including MM, MC), up to 24-bit/ 192 kHz

What would be useful is if WiiM would put the parameters for the type and size of HDDs the Ultra can handle on the Ultra product page. On the Ultra product page it doesn't even list USB as being an input option.

Audio Input - HDMI ARC, Optical, Line, and Phono (including MM, MC), up to 24-bit/ 192 kHz

Maybe because usb isn’t an audio input, it’s a media source?

My own collection is about 340,000 files. Mostly flac, then about a third of that mp3 and the about 20,000 in vorbis/others.

I did have my entire collection on a 16TB at one point and could have tested the Wiim Ultra music ability, if wiim send me a ultra to test.

I've got about 19,000 files in nearly 1 TB (lots of high-res and DSD).

What is the test people want to see?

I've got about 19,000 files in nearly 1 TB (lots of high-res and DSD).

What is the test people want to see?

That's not big enough collection, we need to know if the library caps out somewhere, if there is RAM limitation etc.

If Wiim send me a Ultra for free i'll test it, would need to buy another 16tb though. :D

Maybe because usb isn’t an audio input, it’s a media source?
Ok, that makes sense. It still would be nice if WiiM listed the capabilities of the USB port when a USB hard drive is connected. It would also be helpful if they indicated that the one USB port can be used with a USB hub (correct term?) so the USB port can be used simultaneously as an input and output.

I'm ready to order an Ultra to replace a Mini but have questions as far as how to use the Ultra in regard to the USB port. This forum is useful but feel WiiM should have this information on the Ultra's product page. If someone is interested in the Ultra and sees just one USB port they might dismiss it. Especially if they want to use it with a USB hard drive and also have a USB output to a DAC. I don't want to order an Ultra and then have to return it if it doesn't work for my needs.

*edit... I just opened a ticket at WiiM support.

Hello, I'm ready to order an Ultra to replace a Mini. I would like to use a 2tb or 5tb Western Digital USB hard drive with the Ultra. I would also like to use the USB port as an output to an external DAC. On the WiiM forum it was suggested that a USB hub could be used enabling the Ultra's USB port as an input and output simultaneously.

Is there a maximum size for a connected USB hard drive with the Ultra? Such as 2tb, 5tb or number of files? Also will a USB hub work to utilize the single USB port as an input and output? Thank you for your time!

Take care, Bill

Last edited:
Yes. The product documentation is not good. A lot of the questions in this forum should be answered by the documentation but is not.

The FAQ and other documents has not been updated for a while and contains outdated information.

While the software is updated regularly, the documentation and roadmap is not.

This is the hub I use with my Ultra and/or Amp to access an external USB 1TB SSD and also play to my external usb amp/DAC.

The use of a hub has been confirmed in the forum: https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-48890

They also have useful faqs at https://faq.wiimhome.com/en/support/solutions

However, I do agree that their documentation needs updating for both content and consistency, but equally I wouldn’t expect it to fully answer every query that might arise pre or post purchase, and that’s where the forum and Facebook page can often help.

Cheers

This is the hub I use with my Ultra and/or Amp to access an external USB 1TB SSD and also play to my external usb amp/DAC.

The use of a hub has been confirmed in the forum: https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-48890

They also have useful faqs at https://faq.wiimhome.com/en/support/solutions

However, I do agree that their documentation needs updating for both content and consistency, but equally I wouldn’t expect it to fully answer every query that might arise pre or post purchase, and that’s where the forum and Facebook page can often help.

Cheers
Thanks so much for your help on this! It is much appreciated and very useful for those of us considering the Ultra.

The Ultra looked promising but the screen is smaller than my SB.
The ultra is much better and faster , sound better to because of the room correction and the peq function . I have had a SB duet, and have tried the SB touch , good as it was back then.

Last edited:
The ultra is much better and faster , sound better to because of the room correction and the peq function . I have had a SB duet, and have tried the SB touch , good as it was back then.
I dont believe the SB touch screen is bigger , its the opposite.
The Touch screen is 4.3 inch to the Ultra 3.5 inch.

Speed will be down to the host service. It was slightly slow with a qnap 300mhz CPU (browsing artists etc) but it's fast with my modern realtek quad core NAS and pi5.

Back