New Ultra

As with any wiim device connected directly to a power amp, (which by definition does not have a volume control) do not use fixed volume!
You'd have no way to control the volume, and would send full volume to your speakers.
If fixed volume is enabled in the wiim app then the wiim remote's volume buttons do nothing.
Well, not quite nothing - the screen will show volume at 100 in a duller blue circle, indicating that you can't change it.
Thank you! So what application you use like feeding digital out to dac? Can you imagine how much shockwave if I did that a full blown 450 on each speaker would blow speaker.

Thank you! So what application you use like feeding digital out to dac? Can you imagine how much shockwave if I did that a full blown 450 on each speaker would blow speaker.
Simply use the WiiM app to control the volume straight out super low and you should be in great shape.

I have several examples of going straight to the amp and I also have a couple of examples going into a preamp to an amp and all of them work fine as long as you manage the volume safely and logically starting at the lowest settings to make sure you don't blow anything out.

Jeff

That's why some are not keen on a digital / app based device going straight to a power amp. One little bug and you might indeed get a shock.
As @Zphvrq just posted (while I was typing slowly!) check the volume first! An analog pre amp in between gives that safety net.

When do I use fixed? Digital out into a dac / integrated amp with its own volume control.
Although, just for simplicity and convenience, I normally have 100% variable so I can adjust the volume by whichever remote or device is handy.

Thank you guys! I now have mini, pro, amp and now ultra. Prior from ultra I had pro connected to external dac via optical then to power amp. The external dac cost more than the ultra using dual ess 9068 as well as dual 5X opa 1612. Ultra did not blow or outperform the external dac. I agree what hifi huff said. The higher dac gives better separation and greater width and depth. I like the display. I see other people buy ultra only to use external dac when they can just buy pro for less money.

Yeah, but hdmi, phono, ADC, sub, usb...
Not just a pretty screen ;)
yes indeed. It’s upgradable using its digital out for better performance. Does the digital out optical/coax works with sub out? I’m aware usb does not.

Of course. 😊
(Sorry for interrupting Ee. 😜)
Just curious, if it shall work you will need to use the volume-control inside the Ultra? 🙂

I have been thinking that digital out to external DAC cant be fixed volume, since the volumelevel of the sub must be adjusted from the same source. And since sub is connected to the Ultra my thoughts have been that you then must use the volumecontrol in the Ultra. But i may be wrong 🙂

Just curious, if it shall work you will need to use the volume-control inside the Ultra? 🙂

I have been thinking that digital out to external DAC cant be fixed volume, since the volumelevel of the sub must be adjusted from the same source. And since sub is connected to the Ultra my thoughts have been that you then must use the volumecontrol in the Ultra. But i may be wrong 🙂
I purchase ultra because of the fact it can use digital out with sub. I’m kinda lost how would you set this up like what you said external dac fixed volume and ultra do all volume adjustments on both speaker and sub?

I purchase ultra because of the fact it can use digital out with sub. I’m kinda lost how would you set this up like what you said external dac fixed volume and ultra do all volume adjustments on both speaker and sub?
Im pretty sure you can use digital out and sub, but i think you must use the Ultras volumecontrol for it to work. So your external DAC’s volumecontrol should be set to fixed. Since both the sub and digital stereosignal must have the same volumecontrol to stay in sync.

But I dont have an Ultra and have not read the Ultras manual, so better wait for Wiimer’s reply 🙂

Even with the Ultra set to fixed volume, the sub volume can be adjusted in the subwoofer settings. However, I am not currently using the Ultra's sub out so I can't verify the details of how it works; I have the sub connected to the Pro and have the Ultra and Pro in a group playing simultaneously.

Im pretty sure you can use digital out and sub, but i think you must use the Ultras volumecontrol for it to work. So your external DAC’s volumecontrol should be set to fixed. Since both the sub and digital stereosignal must have the same volumecontrol to stay in sync.
Absolutely correct.

Even with the Ultra set to fixed volume, the sub volume can be adjusted in the subwoofer settings. However, I am not currently using the Ultra's sub out so I can't verify the details of how it works; I have the sub connected to the Pro and have the Ultra and Pro in a group playing simultaneously.
Also correct, of course. But this is just intended and really usable to level match sub and mains.

Absolutely correct.
My ultra came late wasn’t able to spend much time with it. I will be doing more listening tomorrow. Right now, I have amp and ultra on system one and two. I took out the mini and pro and placed them in garage till I find a usefulness on them.

If fixed volume is enabled in the wiim app then the wiim remote's volume buttons do nothing.
Well, not quite nothing - the screen will show volume at 100 in a duller blue circle, indicating that you can't change it.
Can someone post a screen shot…Is the volume control in the WiiM app a ‘dial’ or ‘slider ? Is there a way to change it? I get a slider and I’m not confident of intricate control if going directly into an amp..

Can someone post a screen shot…Is the volume control in the WiiM app a ‘dial’ or ‘slider ? Is there a way to change it? I get a slider and I’m not confident of intricate control if going directly into an amp..
It would be great to not have a possibility to jump from 30 to 70 or something. So that you have to increase step by step , like via remote

What about USB out? Do you know if its possible to use USB out to external DAC and at the same time use Wiim sub out?
That’s what I’m hoping that it would. Like what @Wiimer said if Wiim is silent there’s no hope. Many of the dac usb clock has improvement over its coax/optical. This is what other users been saying.

Back