New Ultra

My impression is that WiiM have used a (perfectly working) software-only solution in their previous devices.
But probably this approach is not liked/allowed by Apple, which wants that Airplay compliant devices have mandatorily an MFI chip onboard.
If previous WiiM devices have not an MFI chip onboard, I am afraid that soon or later their (software-only) Airplay target capability will be removed too. We will see if WiiM will produce or not a new wave of devices with MFI chip onboard.
But, of course, I could very well be totally wrong...
This strikes me as being the most likely reason for the WiiM AirPlay situation, and might also be part of the explanation behind the removal of AirPlay Cast.

We posted this message in another thread but want to post it here so everyone here sees it.
--

Hi WiiM Community,

We always strive to be transparent with this forum, sharing early product announcements, specifications, and addressing your concerns and questions. We realize the lack of availability of AirPlay in the WiiM Ultra has caused confusion and we apologize for that. The WiiM Ultra does not support AirPlay and does not function as an AirPlay receiver. At the original launch, we believed we would be able to support AirPlay, which is why many of you saw it in the initial press release. However, we were unable to include it and decided not to delay the launch further, maintaining the additional features of the streamer that provide a high-quality listening experience.

We understand this may be disappointing for our users who primarily use AirPlay, and for those users we'd suggest choosing a different WiiM solution for now. If any users have purchased the Ultra primarily for AirPlay and are unsatisfied with their purchase, the retailers will honor the return based on their policies.

The WiiM Ultra continues to provide exceptional audio, high performance, and value supporting a rich variety of options such as Chromecast Audio, Alexa Casting, Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Deezer, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and more.

We apologize for any confusion and dissatisfaction this may have caused, and we appreciate your understanding.

Thank you,
WiiM Team
Thanks for the reply! Yet I'm not sure whether to get myself another WiiM Pro or wait for an Ultra with Airplay support. Is there a rough estimate for when the Ultra will eventually support it? Or are we going to have to wait two years for an "Ultra 2" or something?

This strikes me as being the most likely reason for the WiiM AirPlay situation, and might also be part of the explanation behind the removal of AirPlay Cast.
But why does Apple suddenly insist on this chip?
BTW: I don't believe that Airplay will be deactivated retroactively on existing devices.

Thanks for the reply! Yet I'm not sure whether to get myself another WiiM Pro or wait for an Ultra with Airplay support. Is there a rough estimate for when the Ultra will eventually support it? Or are we going to have to wait two years for an "Ultra 2" or something?
The post actually says no airplay support if I were you I would buy the pro
ultra will not have airplay now or in the future

I will do few things I have in mind. I will use ultra and set to fixed volume if it has one then feed it to passive volume control. Why? As with my experience using dac/preamp combo that you’re loosing resolution particularly low level. I’m maybe wrong or wrong but like experimenting. Let my ear be the final judgement.

Let my ear be the final judgement.
Your ear can only be the final judgment if you try it both ways, so no need to announce one way but not the other. :)

Note that you cannot use the sub out in any sensible way if you don't use the superb volume control of the Ultra. Sub out seemed to be important to you when discussing USB out, so I thought I'd better mention it.

Your ear can only be the final judgment if you try it both ways, so no need to announce one way but not the other. :)

Note that you cannot use the sub out in any sensible way if you don't use the superb volume control of the Ultra. Sub out seemed to be important to you when discussing USB out, so I thought I'd better mention it.
Yes, if not my sub will render useless and be part of collecting dust on garage.

I’m using the WIIM volume control for just this reason even though I really liked the way my RME DAC handles it. I’m not really missing the RME so far, I think the Ultra’s volume control is on par for most normal users.

@satx I sincerely apologise if you thought my earlier post was patronising; that was not my intent.

It’s no problem. I appreciate the apology. I shouldn’t have been so annoyed with you. I just felt like I was getting canned answers and I was annoyed at having just found out the device I just bought and really like is never going to have the functionality I needed and thought it would eventually support.

It’s no problem. I appreciate the apology. I shouldn’t have been so annoyed with you. I just felt like I was getting canned answers and I was annoyed at having just found out the device I just bought and really like is never going to have the functionality I needed and thought it would eventually support.
If you have other wiim like mini connect it to ultra. I know it’s silly to do this since all its products has it but their top end. Other options that wiim suggested return it and get their other products.

If you have other wiim like mini connect it to ultra. I know it’s silly to do this since all its products has it but their top end. Other options that wiim suggested return it and get their other products.
Thanks. I have the Belkin Soundform Connect already, so it’s not a huge deal. I just didn’t want to use another device. I’m actually starting to look into something other than Apple Music as a service since it’s lossy and not native no mater what.

Thanks. I have the Belkin Soundform Connect already, so it’s not a huge deal. I just didn’t want to use another device. I’m actually starting to look into something other than Apple Music as a service since it’s lossy and not native no mater what.
they got the music in high resolution loseless but it’s connect which is airplay castrate it. Why is the most valuable company in world doesn’t improve its airplay to support high resolution? Maybe it’s not their cash cow like iPhone so not innovating.

they got the music in high resolution loseless but it’s connect which is airplay castrate it. Why is the most valuable company in world doesn’t improve its airplay to support high resolution? Maybe it’s not their cash cow like iPhone so not innovating.
That was my point earlier. Since Apple themselves dont sell a streamer that supports their highest resolution, they should let manufacturers of streamers implement it native or upgrade AirPlay. Though Eversolo and some others can do native lossless hires from Apple Music.

sNc - Yes I have only tested with my Power Amp. I have tried connecting the Ultra directly to my amp. I have also just added the Ultra to my system going through a preamp to the amp. I currently have it hooked up using optical out to my DAC and outputting the DAC directly to my amp. I do quite like this streamer, but I am trying to configure it to sound best to me. I have two issues I am noticing. The treble sounds like cymbals, sound tinny and less defined using the Ultra internal DAC, but otherwise the sound is pretty good. When I simply use either DAC in my system without any bass management, I hear the same excess bass coming from my main speakers that my system tends to have on some songs. Using the bass management from the Ultra eliminates the excess bass so I am hoping to find a good solution while using the bass management from the Ultra.

Last edited:
What is it you want to ask / share?
Start a new thread if necessary?
Ok let me put that question here, do you guy enable fixed volume when ultra is connected directly to power amp via rca line out? These are 450 mono block amp. I ask because my understanding is that you can’t use app to adjust volume but you can adjust in remote? Meaning it override the app volume but can adjust via remote.

Ok let me put that question here, do you guy enable fixed volume when ultra is connected directly to power amp via rca line out? These are 450 mono block amp. I ask because my understanding is that you can’t use app to adjust volume but you can adjust in remote? Meaning it override the app volume but can adjust via remote.
As with any wiim device connected directly to a power amp, (which by definition does not have a volume control) do not use fixed volume!
You'd have no way to control the volume, and would send full volume to your speakers.
If fixed volume is enabled in the wiim app then the wiim remote's volume buttons do nothing.
Well, not quite nothing - the screen will show volume at 100 in a duller blue circle, indicating that you can't change it.

Back