Which amp to match the Ultra?

i have the same combo. Just received the ZA3 and the Ultra. Tomorrow i hope to set it all up and test. Any tips? :)
Hi,

I think it's a very nice combo. The Fosi is a very good amp IMHO.

- Just connect the RCA output to the FOSI input (I just use the included RCA cable).
- Select RCA input on the FOSI AMP.
- Connect a 3.5" cable between the trigger so the power AMP comes on automatically when WiiM powers on.
- I suggest that you set the level output of the WiiM to 800mV (to best match the sensitivity of the AMP input).
- I got the volume level of AMP to the maximum (or very near) so that I control the sound level via the WiiM.

- I use the auto room correct in WiiM since I have a very nasty room mode to correct :)

And then have fun and enjoy!!!

BR
Paulo

How is the basx A2 performing? Did you like it?
I can't comment on the A2 but I use the "little brother" A2m with the Ultra and it's perfect for my desktop setup. It's small enough to fit on my desk, it sounds great, and it has plenty of power with fixed and variable gain modes. I use it in fixed as a power amp and control volume with the Ultra. Plus, the A2m doubles as a headphone amp with a direct mode option enabled via jumpers that sends the full speaker output signal to the headphone output so it easily drives anything you throw at it. Overall, it's a great value for $279.

Hi,

I think it's a very nice combo. The Fosi is a very good amp IMHO.

- Just connect the RCA output to the FOSI input (I just use the included RCA cable).
- Select RCA input on the FOSI AMP.
- Connect a 3.5" cable between the trigger so the power AMP comes on automatically when WiiM powers on.
- I suggest that you set the level output of the WiiM to 800mV (to best match the sensitivity of the AMP input).
- I got the volume level of AMP to the maximum (or very near) so that I control the sound level via the WiiM.

- I use the auto room correct in WiiM since I have a very nasty room mode to correct :)

And then have fun and enjoy!!!

BR
Paulo
Thx.

I've connected via RCA. Right off the bat i think this combo sounds good. Maybe not yet as good as with my NAD C700 in the chain but close imho.
Perhaps the sound will losen/open up more after several hours/days of "burning in".

Is it a must to set the level output of the Wiim to 800V? What is the benefit of this and will it be audible?

Didn't have time yet to test it all some more. Haven't used auto room correction yet. How did it work out for you?

I am thinking of adding a second ZA3 so i can 2 ZA3's in dual mono mode (for better separation etc.). Connecting it all balanced would be the best way i think but since the Ultra doesn't have XLR connections i think i can do this by connecting the 2 ZA3's to an external balanced dac like for instance a Geshelli J2S or the upcoming Fosi Audio ZD3 (if it tests really well). Then connecting the Wiim Ultra to the balanced DAC via optical connections of both Ultra and ZA3's. This way i'm also the external DAC instead of the internal DAC of the Ultra? Am i correct or completely wrong? 🥸😁

Last upgrade i could make is upgrading the op-amps of the ZA3's and/or external DAC.

Many options possible.

Thx.

I've connected via RCA. Right off the bat i think this combo sounds good. Maybe not yet as good as with my NAD C700 in the chain but close imho.
Perhaps the sound will losen/open up more after several hours/days of "burning in".

Is it a must to set the level output of the Wiim to 800V? What is the benefit of this and will it be audible?

Didn't have time yet to test it all some more. Haven't used auto room correction yet. How did it work out for you?

I am thinking of adding a second ZA3 so i can 2 ZA3's in dual mono mode (for better separation etc.). Connecting it all balanced would be the best way i think but since the Ultra doesn't have XLR connections i think i can do this by connecting the 2 ZA3's to an external balanced dac like for instance a Geshelli J2S or the upcoming Fosi Audio ZD3 (if it tests really well). Then connecting the Wiim Ultra to the balanced DAC via optical connections of both Ultra and ZA3's. This way i'm also the external DAC instead of the internal DAC of the Ultra? Am i correct or completely wrong? 🥸😁

Last upgrade i could make is upgrading the op-amps of the ZA3's and/or external DAC.

Many options possible.

The output to 800mV (0,8V) is just to match the input sensitivity of the AMP with the output of the WiiM.
This way you will get maximum amp volume more or less on WiiM volume 100%.

If you stay on default (2V) the AMP will reach maximum power output much before the 100% and change of over saturate and distortion (although I don't believe we will listen at those SPL volumes :) ). But I prefer to be on the safe side :)

Resuming: at human tolerated sound levels there's no impact on sound quality. Just the behaviour of the volume level of WiiM vs SPL Power Output on Speakers (via the amp).

The output to 800mV (0,8V) is just to match the input sensitivity of the AMP with the output of the WiiM.
This way you will get maximum amp volume more or less on WiiM volume 100%.

If you stay on default (2V) the AMP will reach maximum power output much before the 100% and change of over saturate and distortion (although I don't believe we will listen at those SPL volumes :) ). But I prefer to be on the safe side :)

Resuming: at human tolerated sound levels there's no impact on sound quality. Just the behaviour of the volume level of WiiM vs SPL Power Output on Speakers (via the amp).
Thx for explaining. I will change this :)

How did the room correction work out for you?

Thx for explaining. I will change this :)

How did the room correction work out for you?

It worked very well (I have an horrible room mode on 50Hz that needs some taming).

Tried sometimes and now have a nice result. Two of the filters I adjusted the gain manually (from the auto baseline) to meet my taste.

I'm eager to get the version of Auto Room Correction that will adjust each speaker individually (although my room is almost symmetrical there are some nuances).

Have you already tried it?

It worked very well (I have an horrible room mode on 50Hz that needs some taming).

Tried sometimes and now have a nice result. Two of the filters I adjusted the gain manually (from the auto baseline) to meet my taste.

I'm eager to get the version of Auto Room Correction that will adjust each speaker individually (although my room is almost symmetrical there are some nuances).

Have you already tried it?
Sounds good. No i did not have time to try it yet. Waiting for a day/moment i'm alone in the room without any disturbances :)
Also must say that i'm a complete noob reading curves/using EQ/room correction and what it all means etc. I'm too simple hahaha

i have the same combo. Just received the ZA3 and the Ultra. Tomorrow i hope to set it all up and test. Any tips? :)
Everything was plug and play with my setup. Just make sure to get all the latest app and firmware updates applied.
Have fun. We love all 8 of our WiiM Ultra units. And we love their support even more.

Best of luck to you.
Jeff

Back