WiiM Amp

@Brantome
Do you have the possibility to measure the standby power consumption?
Using a TAPO P110 monitoring smart plug, the Amp appears to draw around 15w when playing at half volume which is loud enough for normal listening (and maybe a little overloud at 65-70db(spl) according to my phone sound meter app) in my surroundings and with the speakers I’m using. That drops to 6w in standby/off. The Amp unfortunately doesn’t have a physical on/off switch which I’d prefer on a mains unit given where I need to plug it in.

@Brantome The product info suggests that the Wiim Amp will act like a NAS when you connect a drive to the USB input. Have you had a chance to test that function out yet?

@Brantome The product info suggests that the Wiim Amp will act like a NAS when you connect a drive to the USB input. Have you had a chance to test that function out yet?
Unfortunately not - some personal circumstances mean I now need to be away from home for a period. Talk about bad timing :(

However, the WiiM Home website states "Plug your USB disk into the WiiM Amp and transform your home into a personal concert hall. Stream your digital music collection in studio-quality to multiple WiiM devices throughout your space. The WiiM Amp not only indexes your music library but also serves as an always-on media server, making your personal tunes accessible anytime, anywhere in your home."

The "always-on media server" description does seem to suggest that it'll appear as a media server on your network, the same as if you had a media server on your NAS.

Unfortunately not - some personal circumstances mean I now need to be away from home for a period. Talk about bad timing :(

However, the WiiM Home website states "Plug your USB disk into the WiiM Amp and transform your home into a personal concert hall. Stream your digital music collection in studio-quality to multiple WiiM devices throughout your space. The WiiM Amp not only indexes your music library but also serves as an always-on media server, making your personal tunes accessible anytime, anywhere in your home."

The "always-on media server" description does seem to suggest that it'll appear as a media server on your network, the same as if you had a media server on your NAS.

Hope everything is OK, thanks for the reply.

Using a TAPO P110 monitoring smart plug, the Amp appears to draw around 15w when playing at half volume which is loud enough for normal listening (and maybe a little overloud at 65-70db(spl) according to my phone sound meter app) in my surroundings and with the speakers I’m using. That drops to 6w in standby/off. The Amp unfortunately doesn’t have a physical on/off switch which I’d prefer on a mains unit given where I need to plug it in.
Thanks for measuring. Standby/off seems too high to me. Thats 52kWh per year!
Is this even compliant with european law? I think off should be <0.5Watt and standby <0.8W.

Is this even compliant with european law? I think off should be <0.5Watt and standby <0.8W.
The requirement for 0.5W in standby does not seem to apply to devices with WiFi. If you want to be able to start streaming from the app on your mobile then the amp has to be connected to Wifi.

I’ll double-check that hopefully sometime next week when I return home - it was done in a bit of a rush and I probably didn’t let it fully turn off.

Streamer doesn't need to be on Wi-Fi when standing by. You could implement a wake on Bluetooth option.

Many devices have different standby modes. For example, my CA Evo 150 has an Eco mode (presumably to keep the EU happy) and a network standby mode. In Eco mode, you cannot bring the Evo 150 out of standby from the app. In network standby, it works as intended and, if I remember correctly, uses about 6W.

Amplifiers with network standby and HDMI control functions consume more power during standby. It usually consumes at least 3W of power.

Networked standby rules seem to be 2w to 7w or 8w.

If it was the much lower limit mentioned, most wifi smart plugs would fail…

I think the 2-7/8W limit is only for HiNA-Equipment relevant.

‘Networked equipment with high network availability’ or ‘HiNA equipment’ means equipment with one or more of the following functionalities, but no other, as the main function(s): those of a router, network switch, wireless network access point, hub, modem, VoIP telephone, video phone;

BTW: a current Apple TV has a standby power consumtion of 0.5W.

Hi Team,

Before sharing specific power consumption data, it's essential to note that the WiiM Amp does not currently support network standby mode. This means it doesn't adhere to network standby modes' typical power consumption requirements, which are generally under 2W in the EU.

However, the WiiM Amp is designed with power efficiency in mind. It automatically transitions to an idle mode to conserve energy. While in this mode, the power consumption is approximately 3W. Despite being in idle mode, the WiiM Amp remains fully responsive and can be operated instantly through the app or voice commands.

I also attached the Sonos product's power consumption numbers in idle mode for your reference. For Sonos Amp, the power consumption is 7.3W and 6.8W with US and EU power supplier.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-power-consumption-while-idle

1700026347350.png
1700026392930.png
1700026498626.png
Stay tuned for more detailed power consumption data, and thank you for choosing WiiM for your audio needs.

Hi Team,

Before sharing specific power consumption data, it's essential to note that the WiiM Amp does not currently support network standby mode. This means it doesn't adhere to network standby modes' typical power consumption requirements, which are generally under 2W in the EU.

However, the WiiM Amp is designed with power efficiency in mind. It automatically transitions to an idle mode to conserve energy. While in this mode, the power consumption is approximately 3W. Despite being in idle mode, the WiiM Amp remains fully responsive and can be operated instantly through the app or voice commands.

I also attached the Sonos product's power consumption numbers in idle mode for your reference. For Sonos Amp, the power consumption is 7.3W and 6.8W with US and EU power supplier.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-power-consumption-while-idle

View attachment 3361
View attachment 3362
View attachment 3363
Stay tuned for more detailed power consumption data, and thank you for choosing WiiM for your audio needs.

There is nothing wrong with 3W of standby power for me. It's the same as my YAMAHA AVR.

Maybe when the TV sends a signal to the HDMI of the WiiM amp, the amp automatically wakes up and plays audio? In other words, is there no need for troublesome input switching?

Back