WiiM Amp

Not sure, what is this ASR you've mentioned? ;)
My apology, I am happy to say you’re one smartest around this forum and I pay close attention when it come to your review. I have yet to hear a device regardless of cost that will blow my mind and spirit away. I guess they don’t exist.

:D I had an impression that joking around won't end well.
it’s thanksgiving so it’s special occasion. What I’m trying to find out between the pro plus dac vs the ess dac from wiim amp. We were told before in here that it was pro plus with built in amp. Can you give us an insight? Thank you!

it’s thanksgiving so it’s special occasion. What I’m trying to find out between the pro plus dac vs the ess dac from wiim amp. We were told before in here that it was pro plus with built in amp. Can you give us an insight? Thank you!
We were told it was “basically” a pro plus with an amp section, which is still still strictly true. And I know Darko claims he was told in an email it would still be the AKM DAC. WiiM haven’t disclosed anything (to me anyway) about the design change which could be down to cost, availability, compatibility with other components or a variety of other reasons. At the end of the day, it’s down to how it sounds when all the parts are put together and to me, it sounds good :)

Despite it not being reduced in the Black Friday sale, you should go ahead and buy one. You seemed to be champing at the bit this time last week but have cooled off since then…

We were told it was “basically” a pro plus with an amp section, which is still still strictly true. And I know Darko claims he was told in an email it would still be the AKM DAC. WiiM haven’t disclosed anything (to me anyway) about the design change which could be down to cost, availability, compatibility with other components or a variety of other reasons. At the end of the day, it’s down to how it sounds when all the parts are put together and to me, it sounds good :)

Despite it not being reduced in the Black Friday sale, you should go ahead and buy one. You seemed to be champing at the bit this time last week but have cooled off since then…
Yes I did cool off because of work. I haven’t been able to listen till today. I hope it can power up my power hungry low sensitivity speakers. I’m currently powering them with mono block rated 450. I used to powered them with AVR but it just warm up my AVR and shut down due to excessive heat. They don’t sound good because it can’t support 4 ohms.

Yes I did cool off because of work. I haven’t been able to listen till today. I hope it can power up my power hungry low sensitivity speakers. I’m currently powering them with mono block rated 450. I used to powered them with AVR but it just warm up my AVR and shut down due to excessive heat. They don’t sound good because it can’t support 4 ohms.
Well I don't know much about how to interpret specs, but these are one of the speaker sets I tried with the WiiM Amp.

I normally use them with my Linn MDSM/4 DAC/amp, but they sounded pretty good with the WiiM Amp, taking away some of the glassy brittleness I thought it had.

I think you should maybe try the WiiM Amp from Amazon - their return policy is pretty good in my experience, so go for it if you can. If it doesn't work out, you can always return it but I suspect that once you hear it, you won't. Best wishes and good luck :)

If you can get subwoofer(s) you will lighten the load, get a better in room response across the range, listen at higher spls comfortably and wiim amp can help you dial in those sub(s).

Well I don't know much about how to interpret specs, but these are one of the speaker sets I tried with the WiiM Amp.

I normally use them with my Linn MDSM/4 DAC/amp, but they sounded pretty good with the WiiM Amp, taking away some of the glassy brittleness I thought it had.

I think you should maybe try the WiiM Amp from Amazon - their return policy is pretty good in my experience, so go for it if you can. If it doesn't work out, you can always return it but I suspect that once you hear it, you won't. Best wishes and good luck :)
I would like to buy the WiiM Amp from german Amazon.de but unfortunately it is not yet available here, not even for pre-order. Hope it will come soon.

I am a little bit afraid that it might lead to me selling my loved Marantz 2238B in near future.

I would like to buy the WiiM Amp from german Amazon.de but unfortunately it is not yet available here, not even for pre-order. Hope it will come soon.

I am a little bit afraid that it might lead to me selling my loved Marantz 2238B in near future.
Give it a few weeks at least I’d say going by previous experience

Since 10:41 AM I have pictures in front of my inner eyes...
One of a beautiful baroque and sexy 2238 and one of a post modern functional WiiM AMP.
Difficult to decide 😉

Just my two cents. ;)
The amp will certainly be a good object, but it certainly doesn't convince me to use it as a replacement for my Pioneer power amp in pure class A. By the way, via a switch I can use it as an alternative in class B. So..... .cui prodest? 😂
Yes, I too know that many are just starting out and don't have an amplifier. It was to make a personal observation😇

Just my two cents. ;)
The amp will certainly be a good object, but it certainly doesn't convince me to use it as a replacement for my Pioneer power amp in pure class A. By the way, via a switch I can use it as an alternative in class B. So..... .cui prodest? 😂
Yes, I too know that many are just starting out and don't have an amplifier. It was to make a personal observation😇
It's not just people starting out per se, it's the practicalities of system size in small rooms. No point having a big system when a class D will nicely drive a pair of full range speakers in an apartment living room. Similarly, no point having a full AVR when you only need to drive a stereo system which is the great bonus of this having hdmi arc.

The point that a room is "too small" for a 43 cm traditional amp is not a real one.
If a small amp fits the needs and one is fine with Class D thats ok. But the size of a room or even a rack as a reason? Really?
(For desktop solutions I have my very own meaning and all my stuff knew about that: Work! Sometimes I've heard "I can better work with music!" But then he or she could do it elsewhere 😂)

It's not just people starting out per se, it's the practicalities of system size in small rooms. No point having a big system when a class D will nicely drive a pair of full range speakers in an apartment living room. Similarly, no point having a full AVR when you only need to drive a stereo system which is the great bonus of this having hdmi arc.
Mhhhhh 🤔 So? Should manufacturers stop producing serious hi-fi amplifiers because a small class D amp is enough?🤔
I don't live in Buckingham. My room is 25 square meters and my Pre and Amp fit more than comfortably. So why give up true High Fidelity?🤔
Think people think!;)

Mhhhhh 🤔 So? Should manufacturers stop producing serious hi-fi amplifiers because a small class D amp is enough?🤔
I don't live in Buckingham. My room is 25 square meters and my Pre and Amp fit more than comfortably. So why give up true High Fidelity?🤔
Think people think!;)

I'm perfectly capable of thinking, and I think your post completely misses the point of the WiiM amp.

I'm perfectly capable of thinking, and I think your post completely misses the point of the WiiM amp.
mini system compact (
like small old marantz denon technics onkyo...etc of our youth )
new generation " only streaming" .

but
no cd , no tuner, no loudspeakers, no headphone output, no pre output....

no?

Last edited:
With all this debate around WiiM amp versus separates (and remember to play nicely everyone) it does raise the one area where I wish WiiM had gone just a little further with their amp product, namely some outputs (optical or coaxial or even RCA) to allow an upgrade path in the future should anyone wish to use it purely as a streamer into a separate amplifier. It then means not having to start from scratch again.

Short question: If one ignores all the streaming capabilities and the setup procedure, will it work as an amplifier only when connecting f.e. a CD player?
No "why" please 😉

Back