WiiM Amp

You have the wiim amp, does it show the high pass filter on wiim app? Can you please take a picture of the wiim app?
Hi, there’s nothing that I see that explicitly says high pass filter, just crossover frequency as per this screenshot. Does that not mean (and what Darko implies) that it passes frequencies lower than that to the sub, while at the same time not passing higher frequencies to the speakers I.e. acting as a high pass filter too? Or am I misunderstanding the function?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113-141944_Original.png
    Screenshot_20231113-141944_Original.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 19
I'm thinking to try the WiiM Amp, before substitute a 40years old Nad pre+Amp couple with an expensive Audiolab 9000a+mini dsp Flex.
I'll go with Nad preamp tape monitor bus for analog input selections, apart phono, the preamp hasn't even to be powered on and then connect it to audio in of WiiM Amp in order to keep all analog sources available.
I'll can manage sub and speakers filters and do manually by PEQ, some room acoustic corrections, in a Dirac like way.
Will WiiM Amp perform better than in quite perfect shape oldies?

Last edited:
Am I wrong or with HPF on, the Amp became inverting, above crossover frequency? Phase go from around zero when unfiltered, to around +/-180° with HPF.
I'll have to take it in account for sub settings.
And this is for base phase set to 0° for the sub out.

And this is for base phase set to 0° for the sub out.
It will be interesting, to check if phase of enabled sub out, remains 0° or follows the inversion of HPF out.
Or: what they mean for 0° on subwoofer phase switch, absolute or relative to HPF output?

It will be interesting, to check if phase of enabled sub out, remains 0° or follows the inversion of HPF out.
Or: what they mean for 0° on subwoofer phase switch, absolute or relative to HPF output?
I will check it later.

Darko Audio now has a positive review:
Not ready yet with the complete reading, but I love it already because of this

"Chip-spotters should unzip their anoraks to consider what they don’t know: a DAC chip’s implementation matters more than the silicon itself: we must consider the analogue stage that follows the chip and the power supply that juices it. But power supplies and output stages rarely come with make/model numbers. There is nothing else to do but put down the keyboard and take a listen."

A pretty good review I’d say, right from the box thru to listening - he’s clearly more versed in expressing how it sounds and how it compares to other kit than I could (well, it’s his job). Glad to see he mentioned the “static” apparently killing the amp as I experienced similar and wondered whether I’d fried my test unit as I was swapping speakers. Took a fair bit of rebooting and sweat till I finally got it back up and running, eventually having to connect it over Ethernet as wifi wasn’t cutting it during re-setup.

A pretty good review I’d say, right from the box thru to listening - he’s clearly more versed in expressing how it sounds and how it compares to other kit than I could (well, it’s his job). Glad to see he mentioned the “static” apparently killing the amp as I experienced similar and wondered whether I’d fried my test unit as I was swapping speakers. Took a fair bit of rebooting and sweat till I finally got it back up and running, eventually having to connect it over Ethernet as wifi wasn’t cutting it during re-setup.
That’s a tad worrying being so susceptible to such things.

That’s a tad worrying being so susceptible to such things.
Me or the Amp? 🤣

Seriously, it is a bit - I thought I'd shorted the speaker terminals even though I'm very careful with that sort of thing. I reported it to WiiM, although I'm not sure they have picked up on it. Hopefully its mention in an article like this will mean they address it - if they can

Back