Beta Test: DLNA Cast

It can all be done on the same phone.

I used this setup with logging enabled in BubbleUPnP to dig into what was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks. Great.šŸ˜šŸ‘

Therefore, the combination of DLNA Cast and Bluetooth on the phone could have these advantages

1. playback in any codec supported by the phone.
2. playback over Bluetooth at a distance from the Wiim device.
3. it may solve the Bluetooth connection problems that some users have.

Btw, is the audio delay of DLNA cast as many as Chromecast? If the delay is less, it would be more practical to connect to TV.

Thanks. Great.šŸ˜šŸ‘

Therefore, the combination of DLNA Cast and Bluetooth on the phone could have these advantages

1. playback in any codec supported by the phone.
2. playback over Bluetooth at a distance from the Wiim device.
3. it may solve the Bluetooth connection problems that some users have.

Btw, is the audio delay of DLNA cast as many as Chromecast? If the delay is less, it would be more practical to connect to TV.
Isn't DLNA Cast using WiFi not Bluetooth?

@Brantome,

Can you use this method to play music on WiiM using AirPlay transmission on Phone A?
Iā€™m not sure of the audio route youā€™re taking - could you expand please?

Are you suggesting using DLNA cast to send audio from your WiiM device to a DLNA renderer app on ios which in return outputs its audio over AirPlay to other target speakers? I wonder if mConnect (or jplay) can act as a DLNA renderer on iOS like Bubbleupnp can do on Android?

I'm trying this again and the discovery of BubbleUPnP in the WiiM app is now a bit hit or miss, even though it's fine with other DLNA apps on the same phone.

When I first tested DLNA Cast, discovery was rock solid so I'm not sure what's going on. Hopefully it's just my end.

Can you use this method to play music on WiiM using AirPlay transmission on Phone A?
Not only AirPlay, but using BubbleUPnP Server you should be able to cast from WiiM to a Chromecast group. It's not working at the moment, we think because WiiM isn't sending enough audio for Chromecast to buffer. WiiM have said they're looking at increasing the amount sent, so we'll see.

Iā€™m not sure of the audio route youā€™re taking - could you expand please?

Are you suggesting using DLNA cast to send audio from your WiiM device to a DLNA renderer app on ios which in return outputs its audio over AirPlay to other target speakers? I wonder if mConnect (or jplay) can act as a DLNA renderer on iOS like Bubbleupnp can do on Android?
Sorry, I assume here that using an iOS device.

TT >> Wiim >> DLNA Cast >> IOS >> AirPlay >> AirPlay Receiver devices

I actually don't understand much, so it's possible I'm asking a lot of stupid questions.šŸ˜…

Sorry, I assume here that using an iOS device.

TT >> Wiim >> DLNA Cast >> IOS >> AirPlay >> AirPlay Receiver devices

I actually don't understand much, so it's possible I'm asking a lot of stupid questions.šŸ˜…
Itā€™s the DLNA Cast to iOS Iā€™m struggling with - I canā€™t find an app that does what BubbleUPNp does on Android to allow it to be used as a DLNA endpoint. If we crack that, then what you suggest might work.

@WiiM Support @WiiM Team

Hi, itā€™s been almost three weeks I think since this beta was issued/updated. Might we expect another version soon which will allow the target format and resolution level to be chosen, as well as the transfer of artwork etc to target devices, along with other improvements?

16 days since I submitted my ticket, and ā€œPending Eng Reviewā€ for 15 days.

Iā€™m not too bothered about extra features at the moment, but would like them to fix the playback to at least make it listenable, and ultimately make it perform and sound at least as good as Airplay 2, but hopefully better.

Last edited:
Not only AirPlay, but using BubbleUPnP Server you should be able to cast from WiiM to a Chromecast group. It's not working at the moment, we think because WiiM isn't sending enough audio for Chromecast to buffer. WiiM have said they're looking at increasing the amount sent, so we'll see.

This is what I am hoping for. I just got my new WiiM Pro and found out AirPlay casting from line in has been removed, so hoping this DLNA casting feature will give me an option for using BubbleUPnP to bridge my turntable to my Chromecast speaker groups, that would be fantastic!

@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team

Hi, any updates to this feature - itā€™s now over three weeks since it was released and I would have expected feedback to have generated some changes e.g. the format and resolution changes mooted. Plus itā€™d be good to see artwork and track info sent to targets too. Thanks

@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team

My ticket #506208 has been "Pending Eng Review" for 20 days now, how long does this process usually take?
I think thatā€™s the step up from ā€œbeing processedā€ and means the ticket has been read and may well have been taken on board for a fix. The engineers wouldnā€™t normally get back to you unless they needed more info.

Hopefully weā€™ll get another beta soon - Iā€™m losing track of which ones Iā€™ve signed up for and which Iā€™ve got between this, samba, amp usb out, new iOS app favorites page etc

I think thatā€™s the step up from ā€œbeing processedā€ and means the ticket has been read and may well have been taken on board for a fix. The engineers wouldnā€™t normally get back to you unless they needed more info.

Hopefully weā€™ll get another beta soon - Iā€™m losing track of which ones Iā€™ve signed up for and which Iā€™ve got between this, samba, amp usb out, new iOS app favorites page etc
With all the other new betas coming out, and the Ultra release, it seems as though this beta has been forgotten about.

With all the other new betas coming out, and the Ultra release, it seems as though this beta has been forgotten about.
I donā€™t think itā€™s been forgotten about as I guess after the demise of a previous casting feature this is a pretty important one to get right.

Back