Fixed output and SQ…

Bikesnbeats

Hey all. Can this feature enhance sound quality? I ask because the volume control on these cheaper devices is often lacking. I’m trying it fixed now. Only, I needed to adjust the output level down as it’s too hot. Does this output level adjustment essentially keep the unit in preamp mode? If so then the point is moot I guess.

If you have an external DAC and want to preserve bit-perfect streams, yes, you should set vol to max (fixed) and turn off EQ and RC.

Hey all. Can this feature enhance sound quality? I ask because the volume control on these cheaper devices is often lacking. I’m trying it fixed now. Only, I needed to adjust the output level down as it’s too hot. Does this output level adjustment essentially keep the unit in preamp mode? If so then the point is moot I guess.
I guess you already have an analog preamp with volume regulation - I dont understand, why do you think the fixed output of the WiiM is to loud ?

”I ask because the volume control on these cheaper devices is often lacking” - This is not true with the WiiM products.

I guess you already have an analog preamp with volume regulation - I dont understand, why do you think the fixed output of the WiiM is to loud ?

”I ask because the volume control on these cheaper devices is often lacking” - This is not true with the WiiM products.
The voltage must be too high for my integrated amp. I don’t get enough range in the volume knob when I run the WiiM fixed at full output.

I’m using digital out so this does not apply.
You did mention voltage so it wasn’t an unreasonable assumption to make that you were using the analog outputs. I think we need more detail on the kit involved, how you’re connecting it and what sources you are using. Plus what do you mean by “hot” in this context - it’s a term I haven’t seen used before.

Okay. System is WiiM Ultra > Topping DAC (fixed output) > Rogue Sphinx. The combined output on my front end is too high to make the volume knob on my amplifier useful. I can put either the WiiM or the Topping DAC into preamp mode to cut the volume. I’d like to do whatever is cleanest.

Okay. System is WiiM Ultra > Topping DAC (fixed output) > Rogue Sphinx. The combined output on my front end is too high to make the volume knob on my amplifier useful. I can put either the WiiM or the Topping DAC into preamp mode to cut the volume. I’d like to do whatever is cleanest.
One option is to put attenuators between the DAC and your amplifier.

Hi, actually Topping output is to hight,i have Topping mx3 and on the remote control when I press mode button and mute together i can adjust output level + or - in db,you can try this or read for your model if you have some option for that.

You have couple of choice. Try both and see which one you like better. Lower the pregain on ultra to the lowest first and adjust accordingly, play with the volume on ultra if that meets your preference. Second set ultra on fix and let dac do the volume control. I tried both and dac has much better control on volume without getting too loud with few click like ultra. You have more adjustment on your disposal with dac as volume control.

This has nothing to do with the WiiM Ultra, it just puts out a full digital scale signal when the recording demands it. Changing the pre-gain, volume limiter or volume setting on the Ultra could all be used to mitigate the issue, but it's not the best solution.

That unnamed Topping DAC's analogue output voltage is too high for your integrated amplifier. If your Rogue Sphinx is somewhat similar to the Rogue Spinx v3 then the input sensitivity of the line level inputs is 1 Vrms. This means, that 1 Vrms will result in the maximum output power (with corresponding setting of the volume knob). Most all DACs have a default output volume of 2 Vrms for unbalanced RCA outputs.

So, if your unnamed Topping DAC allows to reduce the output voltage to 1 Vrms (or lower) this should be the cleanest way. Say thanks to @viktor.

If this isn't possible, you should probably go with attenuators. Say thanks to @slartibartfast.

Putting the DAC in pre-amp mode is possible, but just as undesirable as manipulating the digital signal upfront in the Ultra.

Last edited:
Back