Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
A store review will never tell you the whole truth. If it under performs, they won't tell you because they want to sell it. If it over performs they won't tell you either because they also want to sell their higher margin more expensive gear.

A store review will never tell you the whole truth. If it under performs, they won't tell you because they want to sell it. If it over performs they won't tell you either because they also want to sell their higher margin more expensive gear.
No matter what anyone’s own personal bias/views are, Audio Advice is a really great online retailer in my experience. Have bought a lot of great gear from them over the years.

Yes, there's not much profit to be had on the WiiM devices, unlike the "high end" alternatives that definitely WON'T "sound better", despite their claims.

Didn't look, just found. So do not blame me for anything: I do not know the content, but I know about the love for reviews 😂😝

It was the usual babbling about ” WiiM is good for the price range but not as good as pricier streamers like bluesound or hifi rose ”

Its not easy to be a highend dealer trying to sell expensive equipment . But its tiresome to hear the mantra ” more expensive is always better ” .
He does his job even if he has to lie like an ordinary car salesman.

Im satisfied with my WiiM pro + Rega Dac R . This combination sounds much better than a bluesound and are on par with a Linn klimax ds, first generation.

I dont think the WiiM ultra will sound better as a digital transport than a pro. It will sound the same, as all digital transports that dont do unnessesary SRC ( makes the sound worse - very common in high end streamers . )

If the ultra sounds slightly better than the pro plus using the analog outputs its probably because of the metal cabinet for the ultra, lowering RFI .

Last edited:
It was the usual babbling about ” WiiM is good for the price range but not as good as pricier streamers like bluesound or hifi rose ”

Its not easy to be a high end dealer trying to sell expensive equipment . But its tiresome to read the mantra ” more expensive always better ” .
He does his job even if he has to lie like an ordinary car salesman.

Im satisfied with my WiiM pro + Rega Dac R . This combination sounds much better than a bluesound and are on par with a Linn klimax ds, först generation.

I dont think the WiiM ultra will sound better as a digital transport than a pro. It will sound the same, as all digital transports that dont do unnessesary SRC ( makes the sound worse - very common in high end streamers . )

If the ultra sounds slightly better than the pro plus using the analog outputs its probably because of the metal cabinet for the ultra, lowering RFI .
he also says it outperforms their expectations and they highly recommend it...

I mean if I had $5,000 I would easily own a HiFi Rose RS150B lol

Please, stop quoting me for this. It otherwise looks if I share the opinion from the video maker. I do not, may be for significant different reasons than the majority here 😉 I am always very impressed by the broad and profound economical expertise here 😂. But please don't kill the messenger.

Last edited:
he also says it outperforms their expectations and they highly recommend it...

I mean if I had $5,000 I would easily own a HiFi Rose RS150B lol
You have to do tests at home to see for yourself that a WiiM pro probably sounds exactly as a Rose rs150b if used as digital transport to an external dac . If they sound different , then its probably the Rose that changes the digital signal . The WiiM products are the worlds most technical tested steamers, I havent seen any review with measurement of the Rose anywhere.

If I had 5000 dollars that I was forced to spend on a streamer I would buy the best sounding unit , regardless of price from 200-5000. I wouldnt buy the newest Rose or Linn selekt without testing against my WiiM pro. And I wouldnt buy a streamer that resamples all content because they will sound different and worse.

The highend business are a rotten egg.

I wonder if this sort of video is gonna be the normal in reviews? If high end brands feels threathened by the WiiM ultra they will stop sending expensive gear to youtubers - those youtube reviewers or other hifi channels rely on the highend business to work . So some of them will continue to tell lies.

Last edited:
No surprises. No news.

But let's remind once again that we shouldn't expect this 400eur device to outperform high end streamers on screen quality or a dedicated headphone amp.

I'm sure it will sound great however. And for the people willing to integrate with dedicated DAC, preamp or headphone amp integrations options are available.

While these add ons like screen and headphone amp are important to appeal to more people, WiiM should also keep focusing on making the streamer/software part as useful and user friendly for separates integration to whatever final solution somebody wants to end up with.

You have to do tests at home to see for yourself that a WiiM pro probably sounds exactly as a Rose rs150b if used as digital transport to an external dac . If they sound different , then its probably the Rose that changes the digital signal . The WiiM products are the worlds most technical tested steamers, I havent seen any review with measurement of the Rose anywhere.

If I had 5000 dollars that I was forced to spend on a streamer I would buy the best sounding unit , regardless of price from 200-5000. I wouldnt buy the newest Rose or Linn selekt without testing against my WiiM pro. And I wouldnt buy a streamer that resamples all content.

The highend business are a rotten egg.
I'm not even talking sound, have you used a HiFi Rose personally? I've used that model, the screen and experience is significantly better/nicer than anything out there. Sure you can get to point A and B the same time in a Honda vs. a BMW...

I currently own 4 WiiM streamers and have an Ultra on the way, trust me I love their stuff, but to act like there's not better equipment out there for more money is short sighted also.

No surprises. No news.

But let's remind once again that we shouldn't expect this 400eur device to outperform high end streamers on screen quality or a dedicated headphone amp.

I'm sure it will sound great however. And for the people willing to integrate with dedicated DAC, preamp or headphone amp integrations options are available.

While these add ons like screen and headphone amp are important to appeal to more people, WiiM should also keep focusing on making the streamer/software part as useful and user friendly for separates integration to whatever final solution somebody wants to end up with.
exactly. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back